Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Substitute for water?

• 14-02-2021 9:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,258 ✭✭✭✭

20210214-195714.jpg

I have taken to drinking an elderflower presse lately.
    I currently drink 2 bottles a week.
    Does anyone know if this is classed as part of my daily water intake?
    It's carbonated water.
    Is the sugar content too high to be "good".
    I'd easily drink a bottle a day if I thought it constitutes as daily water allowance .

To thine own self be true

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note:
    Purpe Mountain I've moved this into the Nutrition & Diet forum, it's much better suited to here than the Food forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

2 bottles a week is ok I would think. I drink 2 litres of ordinary sparkling water a day. If you could stick to maybe having that as a treat and bulk up on plain water you should be fine unless you are on a strict diet or something? A treat is fine. Edit, I wouldn't drink 2 bottles a day just looking after your teeth and sugar intake also depending on how much sweet things you eat also.
    I'm not qualified in this though just experience from seeing a nutritionist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,258 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Thanks Surr.
    I dont drink fizzy drinks or much alcohol so that is my guilty pleasure.
    Is that a high sugar content?

Thanks Surr.
    I dont drink fizzy drinks or much alcohol so that is my guilty pleasure.
    Is that a high sugar content?

If you don't drink alcohol or coke and stuff I'd say you should be alright. It depends on your diet usually. Everyone deserves a treat. I had to keep a food diary and write everything down but I had weight to lose. It evens out if you are quite healthy otherwise but definitely I would say just don't depend on that alone for water intake. Try to drink plain water as well. 24 calories is low enough to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Are these bottles 70 cl ?
    If they are, and you'd drink 1 a day, you've added 168 kcal to your diet. Empty kcals.
    Plus 35 grams of sugar (carbs).

It really isn't a good substitute for water, but as a treat ? Why not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

5g per 100 ml isn't good tbh, if the bottle is 500ml that's 25g sugar based carbs which is high, almost 4 spoons of sugar. But on the larger picture its not really a healthy thing to be drinking a lot of now of then of course its ok, but just mind yourself that it doesn't start driving you to start craving sweet things and then you'll be driven demented with dying for a biscuit / chocolate or suchlike all the time.

Why not substitute it for this,( make sure to get the slimline version, like this one) :

Same thing, made by a reputable company so you can trust the nutritional data, and best of all completely sugar free !

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/details/?id=282061017

You could even add gin :)

Enjoy !

Its 750ml.

On another note, is sparkling water as good as plain water to drink ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Its 750ml.

On another note, is sparkling water as good as plain water to drink ?

Yes they are the same, only thing is sparkling will fill your stomach quicker due to the gases, but they will both go through your system in the same length go time

Bandara wrote: »

Yes they are the same, only thing is sparkling will fill your stomach quicker due to the gases, but they will both go through your system in the same length go time
    Will it cause bloat?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭notabogsnotion

It's screaming at me 'Sulphites' in bold writing. If you're not drinking wine, why subject yourself to that ****?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Does anyone know if this is classed as part of my daily water intake?
    It's carbonated water.
    Is the sugar content too high to be "good".
    I'd easily drink a bottle a day if I thought it constitutes as daily water allowance .

It contains water so it counts towards you water intake. In the same way that milk or coke provides water.
    But this is 5% sugar. It's basically a soft drink packaged up to appear healthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

It says "Elderflower Infusion Blended with Sparkling Spring Water."

It should read the other way around shouldn't it? Perhaps something like.... "Plain Old Water Blended with a Teensy Tiny amount (4%) of Elderflower infusion."

And what is an infusion? It's a small amount of plant matter soaked in water for a period of time. An ordinary cup of tea is an infusion. We just don't call it a tea flower infusion, we say cup of tea.

It looks to me like you're buying expensive sugar water with a little bit of flavoring in it for marketing purposes.

Lidl and Dunnes do very cheap infused sparkling waters 1 litre which might be less expensive. I have the odd bottle now and again.
    The ginger and lemon is my favourite.

Its actually for the elderflower taste I drink it. I absolutely love its taste.
    I'm going to attempt to make it myself this summer.

Its actually for the elderflower taste I drink it. I absolutely love its taste.
    I'm going to attempt to make it myself this summer.

To be completely honest there are way worse things you could be drinking like the woman on operation transformation who had 14 or so cans of coke a day? You should be ok in moderation realistically and bulk up with normal water too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,624 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's 95% water so, yeah, it definitely counts towards your water intake.

Sugar-wise, it has about half the sugar content of regular Coke. So drinking two bottles of this per week give you the same sugar, give or take, as drinking one similar-sized bottle of Coke.

To put it another way, a 750 ml bottle of this stuff contains about 7½ teaspoons of sugar; your two bottles a week give you about 15 teaspoons of sugar. Is this too much? Depends on how much other sugar is in your diet, obviously, but if you are concerned about your sugar intake and want to cut down this would be one thing to look at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,889 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The other thing to be aware of with the sugar is that if you're sipping it throughout the day when you have a bottle as opposed to drinking it in one or two large glasses, you're subjecting your teeth to an acid attack every time.

You need to be aware of the same thing if you're infusing your own water to drink - try to stay away from sugary or citrus fruits or you'll end up damaging your enamel, eventually.

Wean yourself onto plain water if you can. I used to drink 2 litres of sparkling water a day but the plastic guilt got to me. Replaced it with cucumber water in an infuser bottle and now I rarely even bother with the cucumber anymore.

Advertisement