Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows paid for but no install

Options
  • 14-02-2021 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi everyone, hope this is the right place to be asking for advice.

We have paid in full for windows and doors for our house and the install was due in December. We were informed the week of install there was a delay and it would be early January when we would be sorted. Lockdown has happened since and we have been told they won't be doing anything for us until further notice. We had planned on being back in our house as soon as the windows and doors were installed. The cost of being out of our home an extra 2 months and counting is really adding up. We asked for our money back in the meantime as we are far beyond the latest install date in our contract and we have been offered no proof that our windows are even ready.

Are we within our rights to get a refund at this stage? I understand we are in a lockdown, but no effort had been made whatsoever to get our windows shipped to us and we handed over full payment months ago. Should they be making more of an effort to full fill the order?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

There are exceptions for finishing a project that started before the restrictions. But you'd need both parties to agree.

On top of that you have a pent up demand and waiting time with a new company could be months.

I think it's a case of trying to get them to prioritise you as much as possible.

I hope it is an established company - though paying in full upfront is strange. If you have paid by cash or bank transfer, there's a difficulty. If you paid by card you have the backup of chargeback

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Tow

There are plenty of builders still at work and not just on new builds. Neighbours down the road got new windows in last week, from a well known Windows company. I hope you paid them by credit card.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

I was just taking to a builder friend this morning. Was asking him about work and he mentioned that he has loads lined up but getting materials is a nightmare. He specifically said that the order times for windows was long.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Op, considering the backlog in orders/delivery, would you not be in a worse position if you start from scratch with a new provider?

It is understandable that there is a delay in production and installation. Factories may be running on reduced staff, materials may be delayed, installers may not be enthusiastic about being in houses at the moment.

Best thing to do is keep lines of communication open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

I ordered new windows in November and was told the install would be in Jan/Feb this has been pushed out - I got a call from the windows people and our windows are still in production hence this has been pushed out until March/april. The manufacture of the windows was put on hold because of the lockdown. It cold be that your windows have not been built but they should be communicating this to you. However I didn't pay in full I paid half up front in case there was any issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Paying in full was a mistake. I purchased windows and doors for an extension a couple years ago and had my BIL and his Dad do the ordering and installation. I paid for the materials upfront and paid for the installation after it was done. There is little motivation when payment has already been received.

You've paid now, so really the best thing to do is keep them on line and push for dates.

Stay Free

Advertisement