Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Running combi boiler on LPG

• 14-02-2021 10:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭

Hi,
    Looking to renovate a small shed into bedroom, ensuite and kitchen, 30 m2 in total. Will be fully insulated,new doors, windows etc.
    I am wondering about the feasibility/cost of running a combi gas boiler off LPG bottles.
    Natural gas is not an option and dropping an LPG tank is not very desirable.
    For such a small space would running it off LPG bottles be possible? How much would it cost?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Feasible alright, but expensive to run.

Probably circa €0.14 per KW gross energy cost
    By the same metric oil would currently be under €0.07

In the circumstances and given the smallish size of the space, I would also consider electric radiators or some of the new storage heaters like Dimplex quantum.
    Particularly, if you were planning to insulate it well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭John.G

Its even worse, according to Jan SEAI energy comparison costs, a 47 kg cylinder contains 651kwh and the cost/kwh is 21.45c or €0.215/kwh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ongarite

Sounds like the OP wants to rent out the shed so wouldn't care less for the cost per kWh to the user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

John.G wrote: »
    Its even worse, according to Jan SEAI energy comparison costs, a 47 kg cylinder contains 651kwh and the cost/kwh is 21.45c or €0.215/kwh.

I suppose it depends on what price you are buying each cylinder at. At the Seai price/kw they are suggesting almost €140 each. I think you can get them sub €100 if you enter into an agreement with some of the suppliers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭andyd12

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on what price you are buying each cylinder at. At the Seai price/kw they are suggesting almost €140 each. I think you can get them sub €100 if you enter into an agreement with some of the suppliers.

Is this price for just a refill or does it include the initial cost of the paying for bottles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭anonanymore

I think it's €60 per 47kg bottle + gas cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

andyd12 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Looking to renovate a small shed into bedroom, ensuite and kitchen, 30 m2 in total. Will be fully insulated,new doors, windows etc.
    I am wondering about the feasibility/cost of running a combi gas boiler off LPG bottles.
    Natural gas is not an option and dropping an LPG tank is not very desirable.
    For such a small space would running it off LPG bottles be possible? How much would it cost?
    Thanks in advance
    Have you planning for the conversion to habitable?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Have decided to go against the LPG route. Bad option in the long run I feel.

Have you planning for the conversion to habitable?

Yes it will be habitatable and lived in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

andyd12 wrote: »
    Yes it will be habitable and lived in
    My question was do you have planning permission to convert the sed to habitable

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

MOD: NOTE. Please don't push the point. You've made OP aware of it and any other conversation around it will be off topic.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

SNIP Mod Note. Stick to your original question.

Advertisement