Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI to Scotland tunnel?

Options

Comments

I thought you were a pretty good swimmer anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Bring it on I say. UK government foots the bill and it benefits our Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,654 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Will never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

This has reptilian fingerprints all over it

as was said about the bridge,about as much econmic sense as building a luas in dingle

The UK might not even exist,by time it gets built....with the scots spoiling for independance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Followed by Scottish independence and Irish reunification?

Will never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What would the demand be? The ferries and cargo shops are managing fine with the current demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Anything less than hypersonic highway I'm not interested.
    I'm not sure what it is but its what I want.
    Tunnel.
    So 90s man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

Will never happen of course but it costs nothing for Boris to throw a bone to the unionists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Could help Unionist perception of superiority of esteem. No bad thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Build a big wall across the sea and let them walk across the top.

I love walls

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

Build a big wall across the sea and let them walk across the top.

I love walls
    Could they build it so that they could jump the pillars?

Didn't Boris de pfeffel spend loads of taxpayers dosh on some kind of garden bridge in London that was never built?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

It'll never happen, but this bit speaks volumes
    A new rail connection between Carlisle and Stranraer would be needed and the width of railway track in Ireland may need to be altered, the proposal said.

"You lads, change your entire infrastructure because we may or may not look to connect with it. Sometime. In the future. Maybe."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Sparko

Probably a bunch of Tory donors who can charge a fortune in consulting fees.

It’ll happen one day.

If they start planning and surveying now it could take 20 years before any actual work takes place, but it will happen.

retalivity wrote: »
    It'll never happen, but this bit speaks volumes

"You lads, change your entire infrastructure because we may or may not look to connect with it. Sometime. In the future. Maybe."

Even if that got sorted out the DUP will insist on imperial and SF will want metric measurements :D

Aegir wrote: »
    It’ll happen one day.

If they start planning and surveying now it could take 20 years before any actual work takes place, but it will happen.

In 20 years they'll possibly have autonomous drones that can fly 24/7 in almost all weather.

Unless they want to put some kind of hyperloop in!

Although if it takes 20 years to get it off the ground, independent Scotland might not bother building it ;) . They might be more interested in putting their own one in to the continent

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

We should let him build it, and then when it's a couple of months to completion, hold the unification referendum, free billion dollar fast link to an independent Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

ive heard worse ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Germany and Denmark are doing something similar. It is only 11 miles and won't be finished until 2029. This would be over 20 miles and some in the British media are presenting it as a way to bypass the protocol. I mean how thick are they? If they started it tomorrow it would probably be 10 years minimum(I'm being overly optimistic)at the very least to complete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

BAM have the tender in , they are saying they'll have it built third week of January 2122 unless there's extras

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

April fools Day has started early this year.

Usual Boris bluster and some eejits in Scotland and NI will actually believe it.

Reality will set in at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Germany and Denmark are doing something similar. It is only 11 miles and won't be finished until 2029. This would be over 20 miles and some in the British media are presenting it as a way to bypass the protocol. I mean how thick are they? If they started it tomorrow it would probably be 10 years minimum(I'm being overly optimistic)at the very least to complete.

Channel tunnell is 50k and they built that in 5 years in the 1980s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A tunnel between an island of 7 million and a country of 5.5 million costing 50 billion somethings. Just take a ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

It will be a grand piece of infrastructure for the Celtic Union to inherit.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

This is claptrap, like Boris Johnson's Thames Garden Bridge, N.G.H, Not Going to Happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

BAM have the tender in , they are saying they'll have it built third week of January 2122 unless there's extras

Brilliant. :D

dd973 wrote: »
    This is claptrap, like Boris Johnson's Thames Garden Bridge, N.G.H, Not Going to Happen.

The eejit just wants to throw out random things in the hope that eventually one of them would be done in 100 years and he can somehow be given credit for being some kind of visionary

This isn’t Boris saying this, it’s the rail planners.

Fossil fuels are only going to get more and more expensive and development of alternative powered planes and ships seems to be somewhat lacking at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Oddly enough it could make sense ,

I'm surprised the idea of tunnel to Scotland and a second from Dublin to hollyhead ,to allow freight and people to travel from here to Europe and vice versa via the channel tunnel ,
    Yes it would be an expensive project but one which could be beneficial in the long run .

Advertisement