Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI to Scotland tunnel?

Options
124»

Comments

What's the problem to which you're asking for a solution? :confused:

If you go back, I did try having a conversation with Vin Leiger, but he wasn’t able to answer so seems to have put me on ignore.

Fossil fuels have a finite life. Currently, the entire communication links with the wider world depend on fossil fuels.

That is a position that needs to be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Aegir wrote: »
    Fossil fuels have a finite life. Currently, the entire communication links with the wider world depend on fossil fuels.

Ah, right. Well, that position could be addressed more sensibly by reducing the amount of irrational transport, e.g. British cows being slaughtered in England, then sent to Ireland and the Netherlands to be cut up into pieces that are then sent back to England to be sold to British supermarket customers. Or Irish cheese being sent to a warehouse in Scotland so that it can be distributed to supermarkets in Northern Ireland.

Digging a tunnel under the sea won't solve that kind of stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

VinLieger wrote: »
    No because no such project could ever recoup the cost in anything close to a reasonable timeframe, the euro tunnel still hasnt broken even so consider how long would it take to payoff a far longer and far deeper tunnel on a much less traveled or important route.

Build it and they will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

If you go back, I did try having a conversation with Vin Leiger, but he wasn’t able to answer so seems to have put me on ignore.

Here you go -

The world’s first hydrogen-fuelled ferry is set to undergo testing as Scotland powers forward in the green energy race.

The Orkney-based European Marine Energy Centre, in collaboration with project partners, is working towards regulatory approval before testing the Shapinsay ferry in a move that could lead to renewably powered ferries on regular routes around the country’s island and coastal communities.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/business_hq/18789377.scotland-trial-worlds-first-hydrogen-powered-ferry-european-marine-energy-centre-orkney/

What is claimed to be the world’s first hydrogen-powered car ferry is expected to hit the water in Norway during 2021.

Norwegian ferry company Norled and the Weston shipyard have signed a contract for the construction of two new clean ferries – one will run on the clean gas, while the other will be battery-powered.

https://www.energylivenews.com/2019/07/02/worlds-first-hydrogen-car-ferry-to-hit-the-water-in-2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Can we not just send all the unionists back to Scotland where they came from? Way cheaper than a tunnel and they could give the rest of the budget to developing the North before unification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Can we not just send all the unionists back to Scotland where they came from? Way cheaper than a tunnel and they could give the rest of the budget to developing the North before unification.

Maybe all the Native Americans could do the same thing and send all the other Americans back to Europe, Africa and Asia?

I am amazed that such statements still get made around here. We even had someone last year seriously propose a relocation programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

bob mcbob wrote: »
    Here you go -

The world’s first hydrogen-fuelled ferry is set to undergo testing as Scotland powers forward in the green energy race.

The Orkney-based European Marine Energy Centre, in collaboration with project partners, is working towards regulatory approval before testing the Shapinsay ferry in a move that could lead to renewably powered ferries on regular routes around the country’s island and coastal communities.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/business_hq/18789377.scotland-trial-worlds-first-hydrogen-powered-ferry-european-marine-energy-centre-orkney/

What is claimed to be the world’s first hydrogen-powered car ferry is expected to hit the water in Norway during 2021.

Norwegian ferry company Norled and the Weston shipyard have signed a contract for the construction of two new clean ferries – one will run on the clean gas, while the other will be battery-powered.

https://www.energylivenews.com/2019/07/02/worlds-first-hydrogen-car-ferry-to-hit-the-water-in-2021/

They hate hydrogen as much as diesel, try to block it as it would impact their Tesla shares

bob mcbob wrote: »
    Here you go -

Which is great for ferries to small islands, but for routes that carry a lot of freight it still means a dependence on lorries.

There was talk of hyper loop earlier in this thread, which seems to be a potential game changer. It still needs a tunnel though.

I’m not saying they should start digging a big hole in Portpatrick this weekend, but I do think the possibility of a fixed permanent link between the two islands needs to be seriously looked at. If the technology to build it doesn’t exist today, then great, but it will one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Which is great for ferries to small islands, but for routes that carry a lot of freight it still means a dependence on lorries.

There was talk of hyper loop earlier in this thread, which seems to be a potential game changer. It still needs a tunnel though.

I’m not saying they should start digging a big hole in Portpatrick this weekend, but I do think the possibility of a fixed permanent link between the two islands needs to be seriously looked at. If the technology to build it doesn’t exist today, then great, but it will one day.

Sorry this is just what is being built now - studies indicate that almost all shipping including trans-ocean transport can use hydrogen without too many changes.

Liquid hydrogen could power nearly all container vessels crossing the Pacific ocean — one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world — according to a new study by the International Council on Clean Transportation (ICCT).

The international shipping industry currently uses heavy fuel oil derived from crude, and is a major source of CO2 emissions.

The ICCT study found that 99% of the transpacific voyages made in 2015 could have been powered by hydrogen and fuel cells, with more than half of those requiring either minor changes to fuel capacity — by replacing 5% of cargo space with extra storage for the clean fuel, or by adding an additional port of call to refuel. About 43% of the voyages could have taken place without any such changes.

https://www.rechargenews.com/transition/hydrogen-can-power-virtually-all-container-ships-crossing-the-pacific/2-1-767073

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Maybe a floating Bailey bridge monorail is the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

blanch152 wrote: »
    Maybe all the Native Americans could do the same thing and send all the other Americans back to Europe, Africa and Asia?

I am amazed that such statements still get made around here. We even had someone last year seriously propose a relocation programme.

They might relocate themselves after a United Ireland IS declared.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

blanch152 wrote: »

I think the Americans like living where they are. Don't hear them wanting to stay part of the home country.

Arlene wants to be part of the uk. She should move there.

I think the Americans like living where they are. Don't hear them wanting to stay part of the home country.

Arlene wants to be part of the uk. She should move there.

She already lives there.

Advertisement