Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why has Limerick gone to the dogs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,919 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    very unpretentious folk

Galway could learn a lot from it

Too many liberals.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

I lived in limerick city centre 2009-2015 or so and never had hassle. Living in co limerick since then and had one drunk scottish guy randomly try to square up to me while i was walking my dog and being followed the neighbour's dog. He shat himself quietly when my dog informed him he would be dealing with her as well. Worst we get around here usually is teenagers breaking windows of empty buildings or littering really.

Obviously there are some very dangerous people around but if you're not involved with them it's easy enough to avoid hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,365 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Zookey123 wrote: »
    I am happy to do that on a verbal basis but I wont be fighting random strangers on the street if thats what you're suggesting. I have nothing to gain and everything to lose so why would I do that. Also It's not the same person "picking on me". I wouldn't call myself a soft touch but I would do anything I can to avoid a fight. I wont be losing my career over some rando on the street.
    Anyways I posted on here to speak with other people who might have had a similar experience and seek some advice. I wasn't having a go at the natives of Limerick (sorry if offended). I am originally from a small town in Tip and not used to strangers chasing me down the street.

You didn't offend me, im not from Limerick but I have come across people like that before, you have to stand up to them.

Not really a practical approach is it when up against mouthpieces and thugs. Better off to ignore. I've a hothead myself and would go through these bollixes but what's the point. I've a lot more to loose than they do if something goes wrong. Instead I just pity their insignificance and if they feel the anger to abuse a stranger, even more so.

You are right in a way. another way to deal with them is take your phone out an say you are calling the guards, that works 99% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

I remember Limerick being called 'stab city' circa 2000, by Dubs no less!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Great dog track in Limerick. Cost multi millions. Great night out if you can get a decent table upstairs. Anyway else in the stadium and the viewing is dire.

What a strange post. Do you work for the owners?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    What a strange post. Do you work for the owners?
    "gone to the dogs"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

pgj2015 wrote: »
    You didn't offend me, im not from Limerick but I have come across people like that before, you have to stand up to them.

i lived in limerick 96/97 and loved every second, but would not advise standing up to a limerick scum bag as you may end up dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Aboy the kid

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Yeah, don't do this. That old bs about bullies just leaving you alone once you stand up to them is just that: bs. Sometimes with these lads it's too much testosterone and prison muscle and only aching for a chance to practice on you. Just walk on by and be thankful this is the only way you have to engage with these types.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

I lived in Limerick for a while. Never had a problem.

But do not, I repeat, NOT, take the advice above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Whats wrong with the people in this city? I have recently moved in for a job and the environment here is so hostile, and yet no guards to be seen anywhere. I have only been here for 6 months yet have been verbally assaulted more times than I have ever been before, and whats the worst part is these people aren't homeless, drunk or off their heads. Just random people you wouldn't be able to distinguish from the general population ready to fight over absolutely nothing. Honestly, can't wait to move out as soon as I find a better place to work.

1. OP moves to Limerick for work.
    2. OP gets verbally abused and has stuff thrown at him by Scumbags on way to work.
    3. Garda presence in Limerick has never been anything near worthwhile or effective.
    4. OP continues to work to pay social welfare bill for same Scumbags so they can drink cheap beer 7 days a week and neglect their 9 kids.
    5. OP continues to work to pay salaries and made-up overtime for lazy Gardai who are seen about as often as indigo Unicorns.*

* Never seen unless they're collecting cash for speeding or other minor traffic stuff they do as a hobby.

The people the op is talking about sound like junkies, not gangters. I wouldnt be afraid to stand up to a junkie.

i lived in limerick 96/97 and loved every second, but would not advise standing up to a limerick scum bag as you may end up dead

Or a scum bag from anywhere to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Lived there about 4 years. Never had any trouble. Most I had was young lads trying to steal my bike.

If you wanted trouble, you could have it alright, I’ve no shame saying I’d rather not get battered needlessly. A battering might be getting off lightly with some heads.

It’s a bit of a strange spot because parts of Limerick are very well off and wouldn’t look out of place in South Dublin. Others then are very run down and badly neglected. Post 2008 wasn’t kind to Limerick (was it anywhere?) but it’s more so that it’s eyesores like the abandoned shopping centre coming in towards the Parkway and some areas around the Milk market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Limerick has a lot of black spots right up against the city centre so avoiding trouble makers is more difficult , obviously Dublin has tough neighbourhoods right in town as well but Limerick is a fraction of the size so its more apparent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

The people the op is talking about sound like junkies, not gangters. I wouldnt be afraid to stand up to a junkie.

Are junkies not off their heads, possibly homeless, more than likely drunk and very distuingishable from the rest of the population?
    They sound like anything but addicts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

What struck me about Limerick was how tastefully they rejuvenated their old docklands area. Buildings that just suited the area.

Compared to the sterile soulless redevelopment of the docks in my native Dublin it really stuck out. All glass and just boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Howard Beale

Whats wrong with the people in this city? I have recently moved in for a job and the environment here is so hostile, and yet no guards to be seen anywhere. I have only been here for 6 months yet have been verbally assaulted more times than I have ever been before, and whats the worst part is these people aren't homeless, drunk or off their heads. Just random people you wouldn't be able to distinguish from the general population ready to fight over absolutely nothing. Honestly, can't wait to move out as soon as I find a better place to work.

Always found Limerick to be friendly and under rated county.

Each to their own.

Dublin is the county going to the dogs. I resent working here but sure is what it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I was in Limerick once in my life back in 2004.
    I was there for 2 nights and we went out pubbing/clubbing both nights and I have never seen so much fighting and rows in all my life and I lived in Dublin for 6 years and cant actually recall ever seeing a fight in a pub or a club in all my time there.

It was an absolute ****hole back then and it sounds like not much has changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

gogo wrote: »
    So only people on the Limerick forum have experience of Limerick? It’s not North Carolina he’s taking about? Why post anything in After Hours at all, 90% of it would fit in under a particular forum.
    BTW, he pretty much did say it’s a ****hole....

Becuase after hours was never gonna give an actual answer.

People outside of limerick tend to have a fairly bad view of the place, particularly Dubs, based on the ****e media reports in the 00’S

Limerick is a lovely city compared to most, working class and no notions, but the nicest people you’d meet

Much safer and nicer than the majority, especially Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

I was in Limerick once in my life back in 2004.
    I was there for 2 nights and we went out pubbing/clubbing both nights and I have never seen so much fighting and rows in all my life and I lived in Dublin for 6 years and cant actually recall ever seeing a fight in a pub or a club in all my time there.

It was an absolute ****hole back then and it sounds like not much has changed.

In fairness, judging any town in Ireland based on what you'd witness on a Saturday night is never going to be an accurate view of how it is the rest of the week.

You were there once. If I went to Temple Bar, saw people battering each other, puking, pissing in doorways and falling around the place and let that be the defining memory for all of Dublin, it would just be silly.

As someone from cork city who has lived in Dublin and worked across Munster over the years, I've noticed many Limerick chaps seem to think being from Limerick makes them a tough nut or something...... You don't get that in other cities IMO. And I'm referring to somewhat educated folk.... The lads wandering the streets aimlessly would be another level of fncktard altogether.

The working class comment above is illustrative of the inferiority complex that Limerick folk seem to have. Limerick is the same class as the rest of the country but for some reason they relish the poor mouth sh1te.

No offence to people from that area, there's many fine, decent hardworking people living around the area but

Funny how that line is almost always followed by the word "but". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Augeo wrote: »
    As someone from cork city who has lived in Dublin and worked across Munster over the years, I've noticed many Limerick chaps seem to think being from Limerick makes them a tough nut or something...... You don't get that in other cities IMO. And I'm referring to somewhat educated folk.... The lads wandering the streets aimlessly would be another level of fncktard altogether.

The working class comment above is illustrative of the inferiority complex that Limerick folk seem to have. Limerick is the same class as the rest of the country but for some reason they relish the poor mouth sh1te.

What a loada codswallop.

The cork boyos never seen the like of them and I've worked in Dub and Crk and Lk. Cork people that I've encountered think they are something special. A cut above the rest. Which they clearly are not.

:pac: what about Dubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Lived there about 4 years. Never had any trouble. Most I had was young lads trying to steal my bike.

If you wanted trouble, you could have it alright, I’ve no shame saying I’d rather not get battered needlessly. A battering might be getting off lightly with some heads.

It’s a bit of a strange spot because parts of Limerick are very well off and wouldn’t look out of place in South Dublin. Others then are very run down and badly neglected.

This could describe any city I have ever been to

Edit: except Monte Carlo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

As someone from cork city who has lived in Dublin and worked across Munster over the years, I've noticed many Limerick chaps seem to think being from Limerick makes them a tough nut or something . . .
    Are you startin?! C'mere to me you!

sadie1502 wrote: »
    What a loada codswallop.

The cork boyos never seen the like of them and I've worked in Dub and Crk and Lk. Cork people that I've encountered think they are something special. A cut above the rest. Which they clearly are not.

That's just your inferiority complex... Use of words codswallop & boyos suggests you're a potatoe head also.
    :pac: what about Dubs?

I've always found Dublin folk fairly well adjusted TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Love it when people moan about how s*** Limerick is and then moan about the city having an inferiority complex

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement