Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why has Limerick gone to the dogs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Seanergy wrote: »
    Limerick is a small city with a big town attitude, she is hard on the outside, but from 20 odd years of frequenting her, she's got real heart. Sorry your not tasting that, for what ever reason. Don't fool yourself, the people(95%) are amazing.

AGS aside, best advice if your feeling too much curb attention whilst doing your time in Limerick is to cycle, not walk.

I cycle in Limerick and although I would very much recommend it I can't say it takes any attention off you but at least you can get away faster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Limerick has always been a hole

Stay away then. We don’t want you.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Halenvaneddie

I liked limerick, reminds me of Dublin’s poorer less attractive little bro

road_high wrote: »
    I dunno, one city in Ireland I've never fancied living in was Limerick. It's had resources pumped into it over the years but still seems grim to me. Slightly menancing but not dangerous as a big city might be.

Limerick is extremely friendly and safe.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    The only area I know of in Limerick where people visiting should be very careful is the Ennis road.

There is a gang of 20 odd young lads going round with hurleys handing out some awful severe beatins over the last few years. I witnessed em give a crowd of fellas from Clare an unmerciful hiding round there a few years back
    Lol. Ennis road is one of the safest and desirable parts of the city. You are thinking about the old Cratloe road that runs between moyross and caherdavin. That’s where those assaults happened.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Lol. Ennis road is one of the safest and desirable parts of the city. You are thinking about the old Cratloe road that runs between moyross and caherdavin. That’s where those assaults happened.

Whoosh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Whoosh

I too like the Ennis road

IsosKramer wrote: »
    Limerick having a University is a "modern thing" , 1989 versus 1845 in Galway.
    Galway's RTC/IOTwas established in 1972. Limerick had such localised things as SOPS in a little building opposite Bobby Byrne's pub on O'Connell Avenue - having an RTC/IOT only being,well,a modern thing.
    Not sure why there's a compare and contrast going on with Galway but if we must....

Ya the whole lack of a University thing or even a decent college in Limerick was a bit of a joke as is the antiquated NUI and Seanad voting system attached which has a snobbery we should have sent packing along with the British royals.

LIT as it is now only starts to take shape in the 70s and really grow in the 90s
    Mary I only really starts being a real and also lay college in the 70s despite being around since the 1890s
    UL starts life as 2 colleges Plassey and Thomond in 72 and like you say becomes a University in 89

Limerick and Galway are the only real comparison each other has so its always gonna be a thing t compare the 3rd(Limerick) and 4th(Galway) biggest cities in the Republic.

Also the auld snakey Waterford people are being very quiet throughout all this:D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Sevenup79

I am from Co Limerick and work in the city. I have had a good few experiences of people being smart/trying to start a fight over the last 10 years working there. I dress understated, only wear running gear when actually exercising.

Bear in mind, I am female, pushing 50 and all this took place in the lunchtimes from work! Prior to this I worked in Clare and Cork for years with no such issues, only an odd smart comment on a night out.

One day, when I was out jogging at lunch, and called to a cafe for takeaway coffee, two ladies my own age said 'look at the poor oul townie'. I was in shock so ignored them. Another time, two reasonably respectable young men said I had a 90s coat, fell into step with me and were laughing. I laughed back and kept pace. Then they started to run ahead, trying to get away from me. Even when I an out now, the amount of young females 25 to 30, blonde hair, a little bit rough looking, have stared at me and tried to stare me down. It could be very intimidating. I either laugh or stare back and raise my eyes.

It is just the amount of people trying to start a fight over nonsensical things, and acting threatening. And this is in the city centre in broad daylight. I do find a share of the people in shops and cafes friendly. But there is an element. Maybe I am easy pickings because I am alone out at lunchtime and an not a follower of fashion. My work colleagues have had a few similar experiences. One had a respectable man of 60 look for money. He had a convoluted story about a lost wallet. A resettled traveller asked for money in a local church.

Whoosh

He is kinda right. I remember about 10/15 years ago the Cratloe roads had a few big scraps.
    Some toffs down from Leinster took a kicking down by the corner of Cratloe and Kileely Rd. and a bunch of lads over from Gloucester were beat around the place.
    Even going back to the 70s there were stories of a bunch of lads from NZ walkin round like they were all that got a hidin from some locals.

That area is pretty quiet these days as ironically so is the Markets field area near where our OP lives

• Advertisement

Ya the whole lack of a University thing or even a decent college in Limerick was a bit of a joke as is the antiquated NUI and Seanad voting system attached which has a snobbery we should have sent packing along with the British royals.

LIT as it is now only starts to take shape in the 70s and really grow in the 90s
    Mary I only really starts being a real and also lay college in the 70s despite being around since the 1890s
    UL starts life as 2 colleges Plassey and Thomond in 72 and like you say becomes a University in 89

Limerick and Galway are the only real comparison each other has so its always gonna be a thing t compare the 3rd(Limerick) and 4th(Galway) biggest cities in the Republic.

Also the auld snakey Waterford people are being very quiet throughout all this:D

Galway is like a stereotype of Ireland manifest with hippies and bad traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

If someone asks me for a euro ,i say no and move on,
    first rule of living in a city ,Never stop moving .
    stop only at traffic lights, or if a garda wants to talk to you.
    i do not know how to tell a junkie from a homeless person,
    Rule no 2 D0 not interact with junkie,s ,
    say no, i do not smoke, give nothing to no one.
    Keep walking .
    its not a matter of standing up, this is real life ,
    you are not Dirty harry or crocodile dundee .
    You are not here to clean up the city.This is not a scene from taxi driver.limerick is not new york city.
    there are 1000,S of people paid to help junkies or homeless people.
    sometimes homeless people carry large bags full of cloths or a blanket.
    Junkies maybe carry a cup or a bottle of water.
    You do not want people to think you just got off the bus and just arrived in the big city.

Why would a normal decent person want to interact with a junkie in any way ?

maybe throw a euro in a cup if you pass by a beggar sitting near a shop.
    i have never felt threatened by a junkie or a person who was drunk in the city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

We bore/ still bear the brunt of ignomity while funding was diverted to boost Galway at largely our expense. It doesn't help having a snake in the grass Cork as your neighbour. Still waiting on that one University despite being the oldest of the lot of ye. Luckily for Limerick ye have JP and Chuck Feeney. The only hoors with money we produce over here are self important/interested bollixes.

For what it's worth I've yet to meet a Limerick lad/lass I didn't like instantly. There's a raw honesty and decency to them that likely comes from it being fairly rough.

We bore/ still bear the brunt of ignomity while funding was diverted to boost Galway at largely our expense. It doesn't help having a snake in the grass Cork as your neighbour. Still waiting on that one University despite being the oldest of the lot of ye. Luckily for Limerick ye have JP and Chuck Feeney. The only hoors with money we produce over here are self important/interested bollixes.

For what it's worth I've yet to meet a Limerick lad/lass I didn't like instantly. There's a raw honesty and decency to them that likely comes from it being fairly rough.

Limerick and Waterford both suffered a bit in that sense but it is kind of understandable with Cork on the doorstep and with governments having always favoured provincial hubs which is also why QU/NUI choose Cork, Belfast and then Galway over Limerick. But UL has done very well as you say from some major donors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I,m a male i have never seen anyone running or jogging in the city centre,
    Maybe an older woman is more vunerable
    or seen as an easy touch for a euro
    I see women walking around with coffee
    As most coffee shops are now takeaway
    only
    I simply give no money to anyone
    Say no move on no need to have an extended conversation
    Every 2 days someone asks me for money
    Maybe it's a culture shock to move to a city and suddenly dozens of people
    are asking you for money or cigarettes

Beggars and homeless people tend to hang around in certain streets
    Maybe 90 per cent of people are working from home
    Leaving certain areas to the homeless
    At this point in dublin at least 50 per cent of shops cafes are closed
    Temple bar is mostly closed apart from a few small cafes
    I have never felt threatened by a homeless person or a junkie
    I think it's funny when a 20 year old asks
    Me for money and they are wearing
    the latest cool sneakers and a nice jacket
    Maybe the limerick accent sounds rough
    or agressive to someone from outside the area
    Im not a expert in regional crime levels but the last 10
    years 90 per cent of time if limerick is in the news its about gang fueds and drug dealers

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

A few things... The OP obviously didn't do his homework and lives in an area that isn't exactly desirable to live in. That's on the OP, not Limerick...

Limerick does have a noticeable rough element around the city centre. As it's a small city with a lot of housing estates around the edges of the city, it's a quick hop, skip and jump to the city centre from a lot working class areas. Once upon a time you'd hardly notice this element as the streets were busy... But Limerick city centre has been killed off by woeful planning and inept city council after city council. It's now a shell of a city.

I'm sure this last point is further exaggerated by the pandemic. It's been shown that many people from socioeconomic blackspots are not really adhering to restrictions..

If the OP moved towards south circular road, they'd have a completely different experience of the city and would still be within walking distance of the city centre.

I've never in all my years had an issue in Limerick and I would frequent some roughish areas. Perhaps it's because I look confident or like I might be difficult to mug but I think it's quiet.

And yes, OP did pick a fairly gritty spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

courtesy of Scrap Saturday......

:)

(at the start and also 10.50 in)

Maybe I am one of the rough people OP is worried about. :pac: :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Sevenup79

I jog from my office in a loop around the 3 bridges pre covid. Lots of work colleagues do the same re jogging or walking. The place was crowded at lunchtime but some weirdos would still try to be smart alecs mainly fairly respectable looking people. I could go to Penneys and have no problems. There would be no problem from homeless, addicts either.

Maybe I give off a vulnerable air, despite being dressed smartly for work.

To the OP, the areas around Raheen have less of the undesirable element.

• Advertisement

riclad wrote: »
    I,m a male i have never seen anyone running or jogging in the city centre,

Maybe the limerick accent sounds rough
    or agressive to someone from outside the area
    Im not a expert in regional crime levels but the last 10
    years 90 per cent of time if limerick is in the news its about gang fueds and drug dealers

Both banks of the river is where most people jog in the city centre.
    As for the news this would be the main reason people in Limerick appear to have a"chip on their shoulder" the media cant seem to talk about Limerick without throwing in a mention of gangs. Articles completely unrealated to crime will have to pop in a mention of how the city has "triumphed over adversity" and almost every interview with Keith Earls seems to have to point out how was successful "despite" having to grow up in Moyross.

Its a done thing in the media. Liverpool got so sick of it the city banned The Sun newspaper

fryup wrote: »
    courtesy of Scrap Saturday......

:)

(at the start and also 10.50 in)

Scrap Saturday very much played up on and cashed in on the Limerick media stereotype

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

riclad wrote: »
    If someone asks me for a euro ,i say no and move on,
    first rule of living in a city ,Never stop moving .
    stop only at traffic lights, or if a garda wants to talk to you.
    i do not know how to tell a junkie from a homeless person,
    Rule no 2 D0 not interact with junkie,s ,
    say no, i do not smoke, give nothing to no one.
    Keep walking .
    its not a matter of standing up, this is real life ,
    you are not Dirty harry or crocodile dundee .
    You are not here to clean up the city.This is not a scene from taxi driver.limerick is not new york city.
    there are 1000,S of people paid to help junkies or homeless people.
    sometimes homeless people carry large bags full of cloths or a blanket.
    Junkies maybe carry a cup or a bottle of water.
    You do not want people to think you just got off the bus and just arrived in the big city.

Why would a normal decent person want to interact with a junkie in any way ?

maybe throw a euro in a cup if you pass by a beggar sitting near a shop.
    i have never felt threatened by a junkie or a person who was drunk in the city.

Awww stop :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

These threads always end up in much the same way - There always seems to be the same type of Characters falling into the same roles and recounting the same "typical" experiences.

For example:

Character A:

I was in Limerick once, danced in a nightclub, ate a lovely burger and got a cab home - nothing at all happened to me - Ye are all victims/lying/afraid of your own shadows. See you gotta be streetwise, sharp - play them at their own game, never show fear, stare them down and they'll back off...... blah, blah and blah.

Character B:

Limerick has always been a ****ing hole of a place - I used to live in Aleppo and its was far nicer and safer, never have I gotten robbed, beaten and betrayed as many times as the year when I lived in Limerick. Even the Grannies are dodgy there, they'll shag you and then rob your car keys and drive off in your Yaris. B E W A R N E D.

Character C:

Limerick is grand sure - If you avoid the area 475 metres due South of the Daniel O'Connell Statue between 6pm on a Friday and dawn on the following Sunday you'll be fine - No need to get excited like. I've had worse problems in Dublin by Stephens Green while wearing my green coat - Honestly just avoid the trouble spots and there's no issue really.....Yano?

Special mention for Character D who when someone comes on the Limerick forum saying they're moving to Limerick and asking where should they buy a house they wisely and knowingly go on to suggest Limericks Guerrilla warfare areas. I presume there's an assumption there that this person won't mind fighting for their life every time they leave their house.

Mango Joe wrote: »
    These threads always end up in much the same way - There always seems to be the same type of Characters falling into the same roles and recounting the same "typical" experiences.

For example:

Character A:

I was in Limerick once, danced in a nightclub, ate a lovely burger and got a cab home - nothing at all happened to me - Ye are all victims/lying/afraid of your own shadows. See you gotta be streetwise, sharp - play them at their own game, never show fear, stare them down and they'll back off...... blah, blah and blah.

Character B:

Limerick has always been a ****ing hole of a place - I used to live in Aleppo and its was far nicer and safer, never have I gotten robbed, beaten and betrayed as many times as the year when I lived in Limerick. Even the Grannies are dodgy there, they'll shag you and then rob your car keys and drive off in your Yaris. B E W A R N E D.

Character C:

Limerick is grand sure - If you avoid the area 475 metres due South of the Daniel O'Connell Statue between 6pm on a Friday and dawn on the following Sunday you'll be fine - No need to get excited like. I've had worse problems in Dublin by Stephens Green while wearing my green coat - Honestly just avoid the trouble spots and there's no issue really.....Yano?

Special mention for Character D who when someone comes on the Limerick forum saying they're moving to Limerick and asking where should they buy a house they wisely and knowingly go on to suggest Limericks Guerrilla warfare areas. I presume there's an assumption there that this person won't mind fighting for their life every time they leave their house.

You forgot E: People who realise Limerick is just like every other city or large population centre and has good, bad, rich, poor, nice people and thieves in all classes of people.
    Limerick isnt especially good or bad at the end of the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

How are these threads always allowed about Limerick and not anywhere else?

Its a place that a lot of people (especially Dubs) love to get a few digs in, when they've never been based on ****e reporting and media hyperbole

Really is incredible the reputation that persists despite Limerick being a grand place, as safe if not safer than any other city

bennyl10 wrote: »
    How are these threads always allowed about Limerick and not anywhere else?

Its a place that a lot of people (especially Dibs) love to get a few digs in, when they've never been based on ****e reporting and media hyperbole

Really is incredible the reputation that persists despite Limerick being a grand place, as safe if not safer than any other city

As I said earlier every country has one place that everyone whips and flogs to make themselves feel better about the s******e they live in

I go to gig twice a year ( pre covid) in Dolan's and absolutely love going down there. Always meet very friendly people when i'm out and about the city there for the weekend.

I go to gig twice a year ( pre covid) in Dolan's and absolutely love going down there. Always meet very friendly people when i'm out and about the city there for the weekend.

It can only be SIEGE!

It can only be SIEGE!

Haha, Yes indeed.

• Advertisement

Its a done thing in the media. Liverpool got so sick of it the city banned The Sun newspaper

Due to the coverage of the Hillsborough Disaster in 1989 some newsagents on merseyside don't stock that paper. It's not banned in the City, you'll still see some gormless LFC fans from Ireland reading it on matchday and wandering around with it. It's banned in Anfield stadium and Melwood training ground alroight, that's LFC though, not the City of Liverpool.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement