Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes we should make after C-19

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

Surely new hospitals and hospital extensions will need to seriously consider better designs for potential infectious disease outbreaks. That would be the most important thing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

I remember as a child in the 80s, our local hospital was run by the nuns.
    It was immaculate. Smell of disinfectant would hit you walking in the door.
    They had a zero policy on children been allowed up to wards to visit.
    I can remember waiting in the corridor down stairs with one parent while the other went upstairs to visit someone, then they'd swop over.
    When visiting time ended, you were turned out, no arguments.

Very true! I was 12 when my brother was born in the 70s and my Dad brought me in with him to visit and no way would I be allowed in, that was a private nursing home type place and not the main hospital but run by nuns too.

Mind you though I'm not sure we want to go back to those sort of days either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

phormium wrote: »
    Very true! I was 12 when my brother was born in the 70s and my Dad brought me in with him to visit and no way would I be allowed in, that was a private nursing home type place and not the main hospital but run by nuns too.

Mind you though I'm not sure we want to go back to those sort of days either!

Yes I think some kind of compromise. I remember being in hospital when I was about 9 and parents were only allowed in during visiting hours. I think that's a bit harsh.

But the more recent scenario where visitors were allowed into public wards at all times, visiting kids were allowed tear all over the place and patients were allowed to carry out loud phone conversations in the middle of the night, was ridiculous and very unfair on really ill people trying to rest or sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭Polar101

I'd love to see a response plan for the next pandemic. I'm sure something could be arranged at an EU level, and would probably require restricting flights and cross-border traffic and testing/quarantine at points of entry. And then a "Living with the virus" plan that actually works, and isn't changed every day when health officials, politicians and lobby groups come up with a new idea.

Hopefully it won't be needed (or at least not anytime soon), but there needs to be a plan. This time the EU pretended to be ready, but definitely wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'd like to see working from home becoming optional for all office workers and a huge beefing up of our public hospital system... Also perhaps the next time there's an outbreak of an infectious disease we don't send ski holidays or school trips to the epicentres

Just a thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Higher uptake of flu vaccine. Better regional development and small towns becoming more lively. My local farmers market seems to be highlight of the week for a lot of us. I would love more stuff like that lot more than another Costa or Penny's.

There are also things I want to ho away. I hate curtain twitching. Never so many so easily passed judgement on others without much compassion. I'm looking forward to people minding their own business most of the time. (It will never be all of the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Polar101 wrote: »
    I'd love to see a response plan for the next pandemic. I'm sure something could be arranged at an EU level, and would probably require restricting flights and cross-border traffic and testing/quarantine at points of entry. And then a "Living with the virus" plan that actually works, and isn't changed every day when health officials, politicians and lobby groups come up with a new idea.

Hopefully it won't be needed (or at least not anytime soon), but there needs to be a plan. This time the EU pretended to be ready, but definitely wasn't.

George W Bush set up a pandemic plan/agency but after several years it was gradually defunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I agree on limit of visitors in hospital wards, especially in matternity hospital, there should be only fathers or one other chosen person allowed. When my son was born I wasn't able to get any sleep for two nights, I was completely exhausted and there were hoards of visitors including children around, I didn't need to hear about someone's neighbors new back fence, and then my relations poured in to see the new baby, it was awful, the worst experience in my life. I would suggest visitors room for more able patients?

Anyways, back on topic: the only change I expect to see in the next few years is more taxes, especially indirect taxes, add that to economic downturn, it's gonna be great.

Advertisement