Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v10] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,528 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Photobox

Your giving the writers too much credit 😄 I would say that's well and truly forgotten about like Poor Pete.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Otis Hill

Yeah the shift change is fairly jarring to be fair, especially considering how storylines are just left hanging and then picked up again right where they left off 8 weeks prior as if the problem itself also disappeared for the character during that time too.

As others have mentioned, Pete should be deep enough into his painkiller addiction by this stage that his family would notice his addict behaviour like self harming to get more pills etc. But he'll probably still be functioning when he's back from the shed and then deteroriate in a couple of episodes instead.

Hayley's also gone back to the shed and she's probably due her 12 week scan for the fake baby in Mid/Late Feb so they'd want to be leaving her out of the shed to wrap up the James plot soon unless they think he'll be too stupid to notice. I suppose she could always say she went without him and get a picture from the Internet but I'd imagine he'd be fuming over missing it and get suspicious

How did Alex seriously get his wires crossed over moving in. Zoe literally said he could leave a toothbrush and some shower gel in her house.

Isn't Zoe the landlady of the house? If so, why does Derbala think she can have a say in who the landlady takes in as another tenant? Isn't she just renting a room, not the house itself? Alex would, in theory, have been bunking in with Zoe so it's not like he'd be taking Derbhalas Kombucha room so she should be grateful Zoe doesn't take in another lodger for that room and extra rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,646 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The writers shouldn't be encouraging careers in social media, you get the impression that someone with 40k followers could basically walk in to a car dealer and buy a brand new M5 for cash with their monthly income from it.

• Advertisement

To be fair, they may not be far off. I don't really know the ins and outs of sponsorship deals and product placements/paid ads but some people seem to make a decent living with 40K+ followers.

The Wexford hurler Lee Chin has about 50,000 followers on Instagram but has a lot of sponsorship deals with sports and nutrition brands. Presumably because much of the 50K followers would be the target audience for those brands so its worth their while sponsoring him.

Someone with with 500,000 followers may not be able to make as much or any money depending on what they're followed for. For example if the 500,000 followers were from a broad demographic (e.g. no clear pattern in age, gender, nationality, marital status, whether or not theyre a parent etc.) and only followed the person because they create a random daily funny video rather than focus on a specific subject, then it might not be worth any company sponsoring or paying that person to promote a product because only a small percentage of the followers are part of the brands target audience.

So if Juliette has 40K followers but they're all mostly young females then it'd probably be worthwhile for several cosmetic or fashion brands to pay her decent money to promote their products. If say they paid Juliette €2000 to run a promotion of €10 off a €50 dress to the first 5000 of her followers to like her post about it, then that company would get €20000 in sales if Juliette got the 5000 likes and the mark up on the dress would have been higher than €10 in the first place so still plenty of profit for them. Juliette might actually be able to make decent money depending on the demographic of her followers and the brands she works with and the promotions she runs with them etc.

Not to be crude but I'd say depending on the platform a lot more money can be made from a lot less followers. E.g. a young female on OF could probably make a lot more money than her male counterpart even if he had more followers

Why is everyone coming to Juliet for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Flowergirl201

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

The Melanie story is just ridiculous, saying she has tried everything - everything bar reporting to the gardaí and Joan's bank. As if anyone would be so limited as to not even try, and think to themselves - "hang on a minute, fraud sound easier" 🙄.

So is Maxine just going to let Melanie off the hook for fraud?

If Maxine did her research after the tip off from Hughie and says any invoices Raff had from Joan were fully paid, then surely she'd have to question where the one for the €9500 came from that was dated 7 months ago. Unless Melanie just duplicated an invoice that was previously paid, then surely the one she slipped into Maxines files would have to be investigated to see if its legit? Otherwise there's the possibility to anyone without insider knowledge that Melanie is right and Maxine is wrong. So does Maxine know Melanie tried to commit fraud and gave her an out or where does she think the other invoice came from?

• Advertisement

Was it just me or did the acting seem a lot better this week in general? Don't get me wrong, the plot points like fashion shows in a cramped pub and a solicitors assistant and builders foreman doing their paperwork at dinky cafe tables are ridiculous and the over reliance on plot devices like eavesdropping and the same characters conveniently happening to be in all the same places throughout the day/episode is just lazy, but I feel like a lot of the actors put in a good performance with the poor material they were given. I think Maxine, Hughie, Alex, Mondo, Kira and Juliette were all pretty good performers this week and elevated the episodes they were in. Unfortunately the likes of Leo, Victor and Zoe weighed them down and i dont know what to make of the character assassination of Melanie. Georgie is probably a good actor too, but nobody could make the storyline he was given this week seem interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Pringle queen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Looked like a box of fresh air that Juliette was carrying there.

Jeepers, Alex is really clingy 🤣🤣🤣. Sure I suppose he was the same way when Derbhala popped his cherry, expecting a full on relationship

Why does Dearbhla HAVE to answer the door.

That's a magical aphrodisiac hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,563 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

These storylines that are supposed to be serious are actually hilarious due to a mix of bad acting and writers who seem to be making it up as they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,646 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Poor Hughie attracting thieves attention with his X5 in the next episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Did Victor and Kira boink or just have a snog??

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Photobox

• Advertisement

I thought had a shag in Mondo's office, probably on his desk 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 18,660 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Given how guilty the two of them are behaving, it looks like he gave her one alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Bring back Fergal and co ASAP ... they should stick with the one major story and give it decent time ...

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Never knew Melanie's full name until now ... Melanie Ryan ... Irish father/Iranian Armenian mother I presume ... mother came to Ireland around the time of the Iran/Iraq war I take it ... Melanie born around early 1980s .... mother went to and settled in post-USSR Armenia ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭Deeec

I think this was discussed here last year when we were surprised (like you) that Melanies surname was Ryan. Alex's surname isnt Ryan ( its Petrosian ). We were then surprised when Alex's very Irish father made an appearance and he appeared to have a different surname again- McCarthy. ( See below for referances to their names). So how does Alex have Petrosian as his surname - maybe Melanie has a husband somewhere ( but the writers havent realised yet 😂) You would think the Fair Citys writers would keep a Bio on each character to keep track of their history but it doesnt appear to happen. It looks like Melanie started off being Armenian and this got lost along they way and now shes a Ryan!!!!

This is the giggles that Fair City gives me - It never makes sense really!

Bring back Jon Bon Jovi, a bit of eye candy at least

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Scarlaa for Alex (Adam) after that interview ☺️ what an awful load of gick 🤮

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

• Advertisement
Advertisement