Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to move during Covid/tips for covid emigration

Options
  • 15-02-2021 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Wondering if anyone has advice - I want to move abroad, currently living at my family home in the middle of no where, working from home for the past year and very much stuck in a rut (I had been anxious to change jobs even before covid and then I just got complacent).
    I am under no illusions that it will be that much better abroad but I just need a change. I want to move to a city (considered cities in Ireland but I want a change).

Has anyone any recommendations on a country/city to move to? Main points:
    - Would like to move to a large city where a car is not needed.
    - Hopefully somewhere where maybe restrictions are a little less severe?
    - I'm female in my 20s moving alone, so somewhere safe is important, I will probably live in a house share too
    - Also note I work in IT, and would like to have a job secured before I go, so would need to be an English speaking country/have plenty of English speaking jobs.
    - I am aiming to emigrate this summer (think that's a safe bet that most countries will be in an OK position by then, I know it might go into lockdown again though)

I was thinking maybe England - I know at the moment their restrictions are as bad as ours, but on a whole last year they seemed to ease restrictions a lot more, and a lot sooner than us.

Has anyone any suggestions, or has anyone emigrated during the pandemic and have any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭I see sheep

The world is your oyster :)

Stockholm maybe? I know people who have been offered IT jobs there from Ireland.

UK would definitely be the easiest. Manchester/Newcastle good options imo.

Can you get a visa for Canada? I can't remember the age rules etc.

You could go teaching English in Asia if you want something really different.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

OP, I'm kind of in a similar mindset to you. I couldn't sleep last night because I was having a bit of an existential crisis :D

Always wanted to live abroad, tried USA but couldn't get work on my visa, now I'm kind of wasting my mid twenties in a finance job that I hate here in Dublin. I have a physics degree and have always liked the idea of living in continental Europe somewhere and picking up another language.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Bodjhrjekekr

The world is your oyster :)

Stockholm maybe? I know people who have been offered IT jobs there from Ireland.

Can you get a visa for Canada? I can't remember the age rules etc.

You could go teaching English in Asia if you want something really different.

Thanks for the answer - I am not really good with cold weather (Ireland/UK is fine but not really into snow, and darker days!). Asia would be an amazing experience but I wouldn't feel confident to move their on my own, especially during the pandemic! I am thinking somewhere in europe is probably the best bet, if things don't work out it should be easier to come home too.

Oymyakon wrote: »
    OP, I'm kind of in a similar mindset to you. I couldn't sleep last night because I was having a bit of an existential crisis :D

Always wanted to live abroad, tried USA but couldn't get work on my visa, now I'm kind of wasting my mid twenties in a finance job that I hate here in Dublin. I have a physics degree and have always liked the idea of living in continental Europe somewhere and picking up another language.

Yeah very similar here, have been in this job a good few years now and really want a change from it, moving job then gives a good opportunity to move to a new place/2 birds one stone :)

Yes I had been thinking Australia but that's ruled out for the foreseeable, but maybe will do it in future.
    I am thinking of staying in Europe, would be easier if things don't work out for some reason too, to get home during the pandemic.
    I think being willing to pick up a language would really expand opportunities, can move to hotter countries too - I have studied a language in the past and found it hard to pick up so I'm ruling it out for me, for now, also slightly antisocial so I'd probably end up just doing the easier thing and chat with English speakers/expats!

I have seen these cities suggested before, I must research some more - I had London in my head, I know its very expensive, but would be a big change for me which is what I think I need!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Germany would tick most of those boxes. No need for a car, great public transport, cities are safe and large IT companies converse in English.

jester77 wrote: »
    Germany would tick most of those boxes. No need for a car, great public transport, cities are safe and large IT companies converse in English.

Thanks! I have read (mostly on Reddit threads lol) that you would really need to learn German to live there, in terms of everyday life, bureaucracy etc - also if theres any recession etc the English only speakers would be the first to get the axe too - I'm thinking Berlin might not be too bad in that way, as there's a lot of expats. It's worth some more research on my side

Thanks! I have read (mostly on Reddit threads lol) that you would really need to learn German to live there, in terms of everyday life, bureaucracy etc - also if theres any recession etc the English only speakers would be the first to get the axe too - I'm thinking Berlin might not be too bad in that way, as there's a lot of expats. It's worth some more research on my side

The language is not that difficult, a couple weeks of intensive classes and you would already have enough to get by with shopping and eating out. There is a lot of initial bureaucracy but any company with half decent HR will help you out there. Berlin, Hamburg and Munich would be the nicer cities, and they are quite different in what they offer. They all have decent ex-pat communities, Hamburg and Munich (not sure about Berlin) even have active GAA clubs that play in the European GAA league. So there is a good outlet there for meeting people, even if you don't play, and they are always open to helping each other out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Netherlands would ticks a lot of the boxes, around Eindhoven especially if you have a IT/Engineering/Physics degree. English is the working language in a lot of companies and easy to get by day to day even without Dutch.

Good public transport, good work life balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

I have seen these cities suggested before, I must research some more - I had London in my head, I know its very expensive, but would be a big change for me which is what I think I need!

How about Edinburgh? Gorgeous place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭I regurgitate the news

Acapulco, Mexico looks fantastic.

People are pretty much living normal there and they can't really do the whole lockdown thing because welfare doesn't exist there.

Cartagena, Colombia also looks appealing for similar reasons

How about Edinburgh? Gorgeous place.

Definitely considering there too, have visited a few times and it is lovely- have a friend there though, and they say restrictions are quite severe (have not been able to order a drink in a bar since March they said)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Wondering if anyone has advice - I want to move abroad, currently living at my family home in the middle of no where, working from home for the past year and very much stuck in a rut (I had been anxious to change jobs even before covid and then I just got complacent).
    I am under no illusions that it will be that much better abroad but I just need a change. I want to move to a city (considered cities in Ireland but I want a change).

Has anyone any recommendations on a country/city to move to? Main points:
    - Would like to move to a large city where a car is not needed.
    - Hopefully somewhere where maybe restrictions are a little less severe?
    - I'm female in my 20s moving alone, so somewhere safe is important, I will probably live in a house share too
    - Also note I work in IT, and would like to have a job secured before I go, so would need to be an English speaking country/have plenty of English speaking jobs.
    - I am aiming to emigrate this summer (think that's a safe bet that most countries will be in an OK position by then, I know it might go into lockdown again though)

I was thinking maybe England - I know at the moment their restrictions are as bad as ours, but on a whole last year they seemed to ease restrictions a lot more, and a lot sooner than us.

Has anyone any suggestions, or has anyone emigrated during the pandemic and have any tips?

Malta ticks all your boxes. I know of several people who have moved from Ireland to Malta and their only regret is they didnt do it sooner. All work in IT and while the country has it's own language, English is widely spoken.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

Netherlands would ticks a lot of the boxes, around Eindhoven especially if you have a IT/Engineering/Physics degree. English is the working language in a lot of companies and easy to get by day to day even without Dutch.

Good public transport, good work life balance.

Actually had a recruiter on to me from Eindhoven, I must look into it more seriously.

Hi OP, I actually replied to you on the other thread, maybe you should look at getting a job in an EU organisation.
    Parliament, courts etc.
    Brussels, The Hague, Strasbourg.
    Great experience if you can find a way in, English speaking organisations and now the Brits have left there must be more opportunities.
    People from all over Europe to work with but everyone speaks English

The language is not that difficult, a couple weeks of intensive classes and you would already have enough to get by with shopping and eating out. There is a lot of initial bureaucracy but any company with half decent HR will help you out there. Berlin, Hamburg and Munich would be the nicer cities, and they are quite different in what they offer. They all have decent ex-pat communities, Hamburg and Munich (not sure about Berlin) even have active GAA clubs that play in the European GAA league. So there is a good outlet there for meeting people, even if you don't play, and they are always open to helping each other out.
    Like fook you would be able to function in German after a couple of weeks. It is a pox of a language.
    Fortunately English is widely spoken except by Civil Servants who take pleasure in telling you business must be conducted through German.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Oymyakon wrote: »
    Actually had a recruiter on to me from Eindhoven, I must look into it more seriously.

in my opinion its a good place to live and work.

If you are experienced you also have the benefit of the 30% ruling.

https://www.iamsterdam.com/en/living/take-care-of-official-matters/highly-skilled-migrants/thirty-percent-ruling#:~:text=The%2030%25%20reimbursement%20ruling%20(also,subject%20to%20Dutch%20payroll%20tax.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Netherlands would be a good shout within Europe. Amsterdam is full of IT related roles, but also the likes of The Hague, Rotterdam and Eindhoven. Most major companies would have English as the working language.

Added bonus of most Dutch people having a very strong level of English.

UK would be the easier, but I wouldn't consider it that much different than Ireland.

Unless you are on short term specific contract work, there are strict language restrictions to work for an EU organisation. Fluency in one language, and a B2 level at a second EU language. English is only one of the working languages.

I do know quite a few working over there, with just English, now maybe they exaggerated a little on their applications :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

Berlin or Munich - you don’t need German really, esp in Berlin.
    Hamburg is also fun, plenty of work in Frankfurt but less fun that the others; never really got Cologne but loads of people really rate it and after that, you are getting a bit parochial.
    Oh, Heidelberg. Don’t forget Heidelberg.

Like fook you would be able to function in German after a couple of weeks. It is a pox of a language.
    Fortunately English is widely spoken except by Civil Servants who take pleasure in telling you business must be conducted through German.

Never said that. You would have enough to understand what you are buying in the supermarket, or what is on the menu you are ordering from.

• Advertisement

Never said that. You would have enough to understand what you are buying in the supermarket, or what is on the menu you are ordering from.
    You learn practically no vocabulary in German language classes. You spend your time in clases A1 through B2 learning grammar mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Acapulco, Mexico looks fantastic.

People are pretty much living normal there and they can't really do the whole lockdown thing because welfare doesn't exist there.

Cartagena, Colombia also looks appealing for similar reasons

OP totally avoid this advice. As a Brazilian man I would avoid those countries like plague as crime is even worse than in my country. Only place in Latin America that is reasonable safe rich and developed is Chile.

Mr.S wrote: »
    If it's an official EU agency, you have to go through tests - not just put it on your application that you have it ;)

Keep in mind, Irish is an EU language too!

Ah maybe they had the cupla focal so :)

Still a great opportunity if the OP could get in.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

If you are thinking Holland, check out Haarlem. Not far on the train from Amsterdam but a bit slower pace of life than the big city. City center is pedestrian and everyone cycles around. No idea what the covid situation is. Good luck!

Das Reich wrote: »
    OP totally avoid this advice. As a Brazilian man I would avoid those countries like plague as crime is even worse than in my country. Only place in Latin America that is reasonable safe rich and developed is Chile.

Thanks yes I would not feel comfortable moving alone anyway to South America, even due to the language needs alone! and complete different culture too, but also aware of the dangers

bubblypop wrote: »
    Hi OP, I actually replied to you on the other thread, maybe you should look at getting a job in an EU organisation.
    Parliament, courts etc.
    Brussels, The Hague, Strasbourg.
    Great experience if you can find a way in, English speaking organisations and now the Brits have left there must be more opportunities.
    People from all over Europe to work with but everyone speaks English

Thank you sorry the replies got a bit lost in the arguments in that thread lol

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Howard Beale

Belarus?

No lockdown very few deaths and a growing economy where everything is hella cheaper than Ireland.

Nice Houses for €50,00 in Minsk.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mithAine

If you are fine with the house-sharing then London will be fine as wouldn’t be much expensive, weather is also good relatively, the English language will be plus, opportunities are more than other options, transport system underground tube is another plus, career options good too, you can really give it a good try at this stage of life and near to your location to visit your home country town or if in case you want to go back, so ticking many points you are looking for so could be a good start rest you can switch to any other location depends how you feel and see the scope.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Fran has a bone

Das Reich wrote: »
    Is Argentina dangerous too?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Fran has a bone

I'm in a similar-ish position OP. Leaning towards Spain or England but not London or the bigger cities.

Advertisement