Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clara's music mayhem Clarus (Clara and Walrus, gettit!!?)

• 15-02-2021 12:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Why am I doing this walrus? Well I listen to a fairly varied mix of music from all sorts of genres but there just some that I don’t love. I want your help in finding and in for me, or you know just proving me wrong!

I love a bit of everything. There’s very little that I don’t and won’t listen to BUT will I love it.

1. Country
    I hate it. Well I actually have just never found a country song that I like. Too whingey, too much woe is me, too much singy samey. This IS the category that made me want to do a walrus. Make me change my mind.

The scoring of this section is:
    No thanks – zero points
    Hmm, maybe – 1 point
    Love – you win everything

You ‘ve two chance to win the category! (you can enter two songs here)

2. Hip Hop
    I started hating hip hop and through the walruses I’m starting to find a little bit of love. Give me the song that made you love this genre, or that shows you why this genre is the great.

3. Instalove
    So many songs I fall in love with immediately. There’s usually a strong beat to them. What songs have you instantly fallen in love with? I would like to hear these.

4. Foreign language songs
    We’ve had this category before I loved it, gimme more

5. Songs with lyrics
    When I listen to music often I don’t necessarily hear or notice the words because I just see the voice as another instrument. Also have you heard some of the nonsense lyrics!

So give me songs that will make me listen and take notice of the lyrics. Maybe heart felt lyrics or where the lyrics are hard to ignore.

6. Enter songs you love but don’t think anyone else will.
    This is the place to give me those songs that you just love but everyone else gives you the side eye.

Mainstream won’t do you any favours. Remember I entered Hamburger Lady and actually listen to that! Go wild

So that's 7 songs in total with submissions via PM please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Clarabel wrote: »
    Well I actually have just never found a country song that I like
    Hmm... ditto. Which is going to make this very difficult for me :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

You want two songs in the Country round, so we should be sending you 7 songs in total, yeah? Just want to be sure I have it all straight so I definitely win... :D

You may wanna throw it in the OP that you want them via PM ; plenty of fresh faces round FG these days that may not be familiar with the Walrus submissions etiquette... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Hmm... ditto. Which is going to make this very difficult for me :p

I love country! Going to be difficult to whittle it down to just 2!

cee_jay wrote: »
    Ha ha, got any spares? :p

I've just never explored it. What I have heard hasn't grabbed me, definitely don't have anything worthy of throwing at someone else's ears! I'll try a bit though, see if anything jumps out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

cee_jay wrote: »

Same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Country and hip-hop. If I was paranoid in any way I'd be thinking that Clara doesn't want me to enter. :pac:

Who's that posting? :pac:

Edit: ha ha, the wolf disappeared!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Zaph wrote: »
    Country and hip-hop. If I was paranoid in any way I'd be thinking that Clara doesn't want me to enter. :pac:

No No do, there must be at least one song that you vaguely like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Ha ha, got any spares? :p

I've just never explored it. What I have heard hasn't grabbed me, definitely don't have anything worthy of throwing at someone else's ears! I'll try a bit though, see if anything jumps out

Look outside of Ireland for Country while you are exploring.

Country songs actually fit very well into the "Songs with Lyrics" category (and the songs you love but don’t think anyone else will :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Country and hip hop categories and no 80s hair metal, how am I going to fit a Bon Jovi or Def Leppard song in here?

• Advertisement

Kolido wrote: »
    Country and hip hop categories and no 80s hair metal, how am I going to fit a Bon Jovi or Def Leppard song in here?
    "I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride" sounds pretty country to me ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,870 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Country and hip hop you say....

this.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,601 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Some great categories there.

Listens to Throbbing Gristle...Okay... Well then no choice is potentially too weird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Country will be a nightmare for me.
    And hip-hop, I don't love either but some 80's oldschool will do.
    But for categories 3-6, knowing your diverse taste in music, I have some great ideas already!!

ok, I'm in - that was fast and I was able to submit a couple of my favourites that wouldn't stand a chance in most other Walruses.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

In :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Loving that this comes with directions... my mind is churning wondering if I can remember some of the ones I know I would want to send if I can think of them in time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

I'm going to sit this one out Clarabel because I'd struggle with some of the categories.

But I like what you said in 'songs with lyrics'. I'm the same in that when I hear a song, I form an image in my head & go by whatever feels I get from the sound alone.
    Some songs I haven't a clue what the lyrics are & I may have been listening to them for years & even singing the words.

Example would be Adele who I liked for a long time, & then stopped & listened to her lyrics, & realised she is quite creepy & stalkerish :D

I'll follow the reveal anyway, might learn a new song or two. Good luck with your walrus :)

Sorry I should have been clearer - you don't have to enter 2 songs for country, but I'm giving you 2 chances to get the points in.

Clarabel wrote: »
    Sorry I should have been clearer - you don't have to enter 2 songs for country, but I'm giving you 2 chances to get the points in.

giphy.gif

So should we or shouldn't we enter two songs for Country? Is it a case of we can, but we don't have to as only the one you prefer will be judged, yeah?

Also, do you have a deadline in mind. Trying to narrow some of the categories down might take me a couple of days. :D

• Advertisement

Scrap that, I think I may be in the race after all!

I'm just after thinking of two songs for the categories I was struggling with. & they are two goodies, so I'll put some thought into the others & should be able to join in :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,474 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Zaph wrote: »

I can do the country but the hip hop one is another ball game :eek:

My beautiful dark twisted fantasy is one of my favourite albums.

Rules are meant to be broken! If ya don't like hip hop, sure send me something else vaguely connected.....or you know not at all.

Mostly enter. New music. Enjoy

I've my list done up. Gonna send them through now. Wasn't feeling too hopeful with some of the categories but a little bit of thought & I realised I've great taste in music so I've nothing to worry about ;)

No matter the score at the end, I'm happy with all my choices anyway..

& I'm only sending one country because its the only one I know. I'll take the hit on the points :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I didnt realist this was a walrus with the thread title :P

Entries Submitted for Your Approval... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

A hip-hop category!
    Steve-Buscemi-Sobbing-and-Drinking-Reaction-Gif.gif

A hip-hop category!

that was the easiest for me, Clara said "the song that made you love the genre" and though I'm not a fan of the genre, there is a song that I absolutely love.

The country was a bit trickier, but I had a couple of songs that I find OK (courtesy of RuPaul's Drag Race lip-syncing part of the show).

Overall I'm very happy with my selections and I don't care how good or bad I do. This Walrus and Arghus's gave me the chance to select some of the artists that wouldn't fit to most other walruses.

Clara, maybe you could post a link of this thread to the "Upcoming Forum Games" or "Walrus Sign-Ups" threads. It could help you get more traction :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Irish Aris wrote: »
    that was the easiest for me, Clara said "the song that made you love the genre" and though I'm not a fan of the genre, there is a song that I absolutely love.

The country was a bit trickier, but I had a couple of songs that I find OK (courtesy of RuPaul's Drag Race lip-syncing part of the show).

Overall I'm very happy with my selections and I don't care how good or bad I do. This Walrus and Arghus's gave me the chance to select some of the artists that wouldn't fit to most other walruses.

Clara, maybe you could post a link of this thread to the "Upcoming Forum Games" or "Walrus Sign-Ups" threads. It could help you get more traction :)
    I found one I like too but I had to go old skool :cool:

• Advertisement

I found one I like too but I had to go old skool :cool:

that makes 2 of us!! :cool:

Advertisement