Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burnt- Main Fuse

Options
  • 15-02-2021 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what could cause this on the Main fuse

Got a smell of burning from my Fuseboard over the weekend and got a friend to replace it but wasn't there to quiz him when he replaced it.....

Anyone know what could case this.....Fuse never went

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Bad connection

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Keeks wrote: »
    Anyone know what could cause this on the Main fuse

Agree with the above, the resistance was too high for the current.
    This could have been due to a poor quality / loose connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Cheers....I'll ask my sparks when i get hold of him.....

On the fuse, the terminal doesn't move (open/close) so not sure if this was the issue and it was always like this or the overheating has caused it to seize

Anyway - just glad it didn't cause a bigger problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

It is a lifesaver imo that mcb's and fuseholders are purposely made of polymers with a pungent odour when heated.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 newuser555555

Andrea B. wrote: »
    It is a lifesaver imo that mcb's and fuseholders are purposely made of polymers with a pungent odour when heated.

i always wondered why they were ever used, always seemed like an unnecessary addition to a board

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

i always wondered why they were ever used, always seemed like an unnecessary addition to a board

Ya lost me there...or i lost you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Gestureapo

They gave their fair share of trouble , the Main Protective Device and the Main Isolator is better but the location of MCB in cabinet isn't great for the customer

80 amp should be the standard , 63 was always restrictive with instantaneous showers and additional loads

Advertisement