Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving a job without having another lined up

Options
  • 15-02-2021 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Without going into details, I'm really sick of my job and am hanging on by a thread at this point. I've felt this way for over a year but have kept ploughing on because I've not been able to find an alternative, possibly due to covid's effect on the job market.

Money isn't really the issue. I have enough money to get by for many months if needs be. I'm more worried about how leaving this job will look to future employers. Could leaving a job without having another to go have a big effect on finding future employment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,571 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Consider how you answer the question from a prospective employer, and what your reference will be like (not the written one, the other one).

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭2 fast

I say go for it! This year has shown how being miserable isn't worth it... one thing though, make sure you've some kind of plan! Just don't slate the company when you're going you'll be fine! Plenty of ppl leave for many reasons...

Dav010 wrote: »
    Consider how you answer the question from a prospective employer, and what your reference will be like (not the written one, the other one).
    What would your reference have to do with it, why would someone give you a bad one for leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

doxy79 wrote: »
    Without going into details, I'm really sick of my job and am hanging on by a thread at this point. I've felt this way for over a year but have kept ploughing on because I've not been able to find an alternative, possibly due to covid's effect on the job market.

Money isn't really the issue. I have enough money to get by for many months if needs be. I'm more worried about how leaving this job will look to future employers. Could leaving a job without having another to go have a big effect on finding future employment?

You’ve answered your own question.

Hanging on by a thread for a year.
    Can’t find a job for a year.
    Enough money for months.
    The numbers don’t add up.

My preference is to never leave a job without another one lined up. But everyone’s situation is different if course.

It's going to be hard to get another job for at least a year, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Do you have dependents and/or financial commitments?

If so, don't leave the job until something else lined up. If not, throw caution to the wind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

As long as you can explain it in a really positive non ex employee bashing self development way I think you'll be fine.

But make sure you do something during this period and can say more than you watched lots of netflix and ideally something with high social value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

karlitob wrote: »
    My preference is to never leave a job without another one lined up. But everyone’s situation is different if course.

Lots of people relay on family or welfare system. I use to know few being in constant never ending improvement and upskillling process for decades.;)

It's going to be hard to get another job for at least a year, I think.

Actually, there is a lot of jobs out there and the demand is high for this time of year. Recruiters are stating they are very busy..

OP if you are having trouble for that long finding a job, get someone to look at your CV.

2 fast wrote: »
    Actually, there is a lot of jobs out there and the demand is high for this time of year. Recruiters are stating they are very busy..

OP if you are having trouble for that long finding a job, get someone to look at your CV.

You can tell the profession and sector the op work in from the opening post? Fair does.

In relation to your earlier question, as another poster said, better to move from one job to another than dole to new job, if you have the option. References may be more important if you voluntarily left a job, a new employer might want to know why. That won’t be written down, but a phone call can be enlightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,469 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’m not an employer nor have I been, but if I got a CV from somebody whose last employment was from say June 2014 - April 2020.

I’d be naturally curious as to what they’d being doing for the last 10 months and I suppose the conditions / reasons under which they ceased working...

Loads of natural reasons why people take career breaks...

- Health, either themselves having a health issue or a family member who they wanted to support and care for.

- to travel, see, explore and experience the world before starting a family.

- to rest and evaluate their next career path, do a course, up-skill in tandem..

As I’ve said before, I’d look forward to taking on somebody rested, invigorated, firing on all cylinders, as opposed to somebody jaded, disillusioned and just trying to find a paycheck....

Career breaks I’d recommend, mine was slightly enforced due to a health issue but I’m returning at an all time high as regards health, determination, energy, rest and ability...

People worrying about securing employment after a career break ? Don’t.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »

People worrying about securing employment after a career break ? Don’t.

No one should be worried about securing a job, or just the ones who voluntarily left their previous one?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭thefa

I can’t really add much to what had already been said but just wanted to give my personal experience. Left a job that I had persisted with because it wasn’t a good fit for a number of reasons and there were no opportunities to move to a more suitable position in the company. Similarly, had enough money to get by but didn’t really want to take a break either.

I was quite confident of getting a new role after being in touch with recruiters and doing some research before I handed in my notice and knowing demand was there. Also had a strong reference from a prior role and a decent CV.

Was back in a role after about two months but got turned down after interviews by 4 companies in between and all bar one were roles that I was well qualified for. While I may not be the best interviewee, I felt that having to explain why I’m currently not in a role was a distraction that didn’t help and may have even been a red flag to some interviewers. Unfortunately the idea of it being better to be in a job, to get a job seemed true.

I’m not trying to put you off packing it in but to just be wary that you may show even more patience I top of what you’ve already done. At the end of day, I’d get out of there if it’s making the day-to-day unbearable.

No one should be worried about securing a job, or just the ones who voluntarily left their previous one?

I don’t think anybody should. If you left on bad terms, it should be viewed as a fresh start. Often you might need that bump in the road so to speak to realize your own self worth as an employee and if they’d been less than a straight and fair employer you learn from that... ie. When you recognize them behaving in a less then straight, fair and indeed legal manner, you don’t just keep the head down and keep walking into walls, you instead.. record, document, highlight and engage....then get out with your health and your head held high, ready for the next job, of course having learned from the previous one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

You can tell future potential employers that you took some time for personal reasons.
    It's completely valid, completely true, and completely none of their business.
    I don't think you'll be eligible for job seekers benefit nor allowance, though... but that's none of their business either.
    Your mental health might very well be worth using some of your savings.

It might impact your job prospects later, but more in what you'll be offered for pay than whether or not you'll be offered a job.
    When you're already employed you're looking for work from a "strong position" and they're going to see you as someone they'll have to tempt to leave your current employer to take a chance on them.
    If you're not employed, they'll often see themselves as offering you a lifeline, and offer less.

Heebie wrote: »
    You can tell future potential employers that you took some time for personal reasons.
    It's completely valid, completely true, and completely none of their business.
    I don't think you'll be eligible for job seekers benefit not allowance, though... but that's none of their business either.
    Your mental health might very well be worth using some of your savings.

It might impact your job prospects later, but more in what you'll be offered for pay than whether or not you'll be offered a job.
    When you're already employed you're looking for work from a "strong position" and they're going to see you as someone they'll have to tempt to leave your current employer to take a chance on them.
    If you're not employed, they'll often see themselves as offering you a lifeline, and offer less.

Truth, the likelihood is you’ll have more ‘bargaining’ power if you are IN a job and seeking a move... “I’m being paid 45,000 for 38 hour week, in a job a 10 minute drive away... I’m ‘ happy ‘ here but interested in a move for a new challenge and to use my experience and expertise in a new environment IF I can be offered what I believe is a raise and reasonable salary to reflect my experience, ability and skill sets that I’m bringing.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

zom wrote: »
    Lots of people relay on family or welfare system. I use to know few being in constant never ending improvement and upskillling process for decades.;)

We all have our own crosses to bear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

doxy79 wrote: »

Leaving a job without having another lined up, from an employers perspective, is fine as long as you use it for personal development.

Interviewer: I notice you left your previous job a few months ago. Can you explain the reason for this?

doxy79: I had been working in that job for a number of years, and progression opportunities were limited due to low staff turnover - particularly amongst people more senior than me. I want to progress in my career, and I felt at this stage the best opportunity would be move to a new role in a new company. But I also wanted to add some new skills - Six Sigma and Agile - so I decided to take a few months to focus on those before starting a new job. In the past few months I have become Six Sigma and Agile certified. I hope I can use these new skills if give the opportunity at this company.

Something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Pension credits are a good reason not to take a break.

How much welfare you fet when you see old is determined by how many weeks you work during your life.

You may not care now, but you will eventually.

Pension credits are a good reason not to take a break.

How much welfare you fet when you see old is determined by how many weeks you work during your life.

You may not care now, but you will eventually.

If you dont have enough credits you can buy them ... the likely hood is you would have worked enough to build these anyway, I wouldny consider them a factor unless you planned on taking years off..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I think Covid is going to head off a lot of these questions. You could have any number of reasons, just say you were taking care of your family or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

People on Boards are so dramatic, lol.

If you don't like the job and you have enough money to get by, quit.

Life's too short!! Things are miserable enough at the minute without dreading your job every day.

You'll obviously have the best insight re your respective industry as to the current job market, but don't let that stop you.

Quitting a job = one of the most satisfying feelings there is.

LawBoy2018 wrote: »

Quitting a job = one of the most satisfying feelings there is.

Some might argue that being unemployed and unable to get a job is among the most soul destroying.

Some might argue that being unemployed and unable to get a job is among the most soul destroying.

Uncertainty is no reason to remain working in a job you no longer like. Life begins at the edge of our comfort zones! (cringey but true)

Uncertainty is no reason to remain working in a job you no longer like. Life begins at the edge of our comfort zones! (cringey but true)

For anyone with financial commitments like family or mortgage, the certainty of a wage may be more important than cringey platitudes.

For anyone with financial commitments like family or mortgage, the certainty of a wage may be more important than cringey platitudes.

Didn't you read the OP? The poster said that his/her finances are fine and could sustain a few months of unemployment.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

I did it and regretted it big time. Don't do it. Was 6 months with no job

Didn't you read the OP? The poster said that his/her finances are fine and could sustain a few months of unemployment.

I did, no guarantee he/she will get a job in a few months when savings are exhausted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I packed in a job before Christmas that I was sick of. Had nothing lined up, found another a couple weeks ago. Suppose I wasn't badly stuck if I didn't get the new job but everyone's situation is different

I did, no guarantee he/she will get a job in a few months when savings are exhausted.

Answer the question posed to the forum, by all means, but maybe keep your fear mongering to yourself? Just a thought :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Who you are and what sector you're working in makes all the difference. I opted out of the work force back in 2003, sold the house, no back-up plan, left the country in a campervan with my five dependents and full tank of diesel. When it came time to do some work, I applied for the jobs that came my way, got some of them, didn't get others. The fact that I hadn't been working for [various durations up to two years] didn't change anything. In fact, I never really got back into the workforce - I offer my services on an ultra-short contract basis, and have no shortage of requests. These days, I rarely work more than five weeks in a row.

From what the stories I've heard, if you want (or have been trained) to be a cog in a machine and you're applying to a HR department, then a gap in your CV is a Big Deal (because the book says so); on the other hand, if you're dealing directly with a business owner, they're more likely to consider whatever you did when you weren't working as an advantage, not a fault.

Advertisement