Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving a job without having another lined up

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I was made redundant unexpectedly last Spring, nothing to do with Covid but really crap timing. I took 6 months for me, had money to cover me for another 6. 12 months later I'm still not working and panicking. Lots of applications, some interviews but almost every role filled internally in the end because that's the easiest thing for companies to do in my sector.

No matter how tough your job is, I wouldn't wish my current situation on anyone. Think very carefully

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Caranica wrote: »
    I was made redundant unexpectedly last Spring, nothing to do with Covid but really crap timing. I took 6 months for me, had money to cover me for another 6. 12 months later I'm still not working and panicking. Lots of applications, some interviews but almost every role filled internally in the end because that's the easiest thing for companies to do in my sector.

No matter how tough your job is, I wouldn't wish my current situation on anyone. Think very carefully

Onboarding new people in Covid is difficult so probably another reason why companies are hiring internally. All the best, hope you get something soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 wordisbond

I'm in a similar situation. Saving a lot at the moment though so debating how much I really need before pulling the plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Onboarding new people in Covid is difficult so probably another reason why companies are hiring internally. All the best, hope you get something soon.

Absolutely, but repeatedly experiencing it is soul destroying and it's such a waste of my time, preparing for these interviews not to mention hours and hours filling in application forms which most places seem to prefer over CV & letter.

It's why I advise anyone like the OP, who's struggling in a job, to grin and bear it until lockdown ends. I've had a job that put me in hospital (cardiac issues brought on by stress)but I didn't realise how much harder being unemployed is.

Thanks for your good wishes, I hope so too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

Caranica wrote: »
    Absolutely, but repeatedly experiencing it is soul destroying and it's such a waste of my time, preparing for these interviews not to mention hours and hours filling in application forms which most places seem to prefer over CV & letter.

It's why I advise anyone like the OP, who's struggling in a job, to grin and bear it until lockdown ends. I've had a job that put me in hospital but I didn't realise how much harder being unemployed is.

Thanks for your good wishes, I hope so too.

Fair play to you for being so honest. I really hope you find something soon.

One thing to watch out for if your CV is going into companies via an agency, it can all get a bit territorial. Pick you agent carefully, and ask them to only submit your CV with your permission.

• Advertisement
Advertisement