Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downsizing house plans

Options
  • 15-02-2021 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I don't know if this should be in prices and costs- if so maybe a mod can move it.

Right, first off, I'm looking for advice and have no experience in building so excuse my ignorance. I have plans for a 242sq metre house and price is coming in at €185,000 excluding plumbing and windows. I think this is a good price considering there are a few more things included e.g. stone wall, site clean up etc. I havn't started my build yet and am hesitant because I think the house is too big - I spoke to my QS and building contractor and the advice was to keep the plans as is because I would regret it in the long run and at the difference would be 500 or so blocks - I agreed but I have my doubts again. Would I be better off reducing the house to maybe 200 - would there be a major saving? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

That’s a great price. Where is the house ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SnowWhale78

I currently live in a 2 storey 200sq meter house in the country and find the size to be more than adequate. It has 3/4 bedrooms, kitchen, dining room and playroom with a detached garage. I am not sure how much you would save but it maybe worth it and use the money for higher finish specs etc.

We always thought about extending the house etc but we realised that when the kids move on (10 years or so from now) it would be a bit of a waste. Its more space to clean, maintain etc. I would advise not just to think about how you use the house now but also in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭jt69er

I currently live in a 2 storey 200sq meter house in the country and find the size to be more than adequate. It has 3/4 bedrooms, kitchen, dining room and playroom with a detached garage. I am not sure how much you would save but it maybe worth it and use the money for higher finish specs etc.

We always thought about extending the house etc but we realised that when the kids move on (10 years or so from now) it would be a bit of a waste. Its more space to clean, maintain etc. I would advise not just to think about how you use the house now but also in the future.

Agree 100%. More space, more cost to maintain and you will be lost in the house when kids move out. Also agree that's a great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Hi folks, I don't know if this should be in prices and costs- if so maybe a mod can move it.

Right, first off, I'm looking for advice and have no experience in building so excuse my ignorance. I have plans for a 242sq metre house and price is coming in at €185,000 excluding plumbing and windows. I think this is a good price considering there are a few more things included e.g. stone wall, site clean up etc. I havn't started my build yet and am hesitant because I think the house is too big - I spoke to my QS and building contractor and the advice was to keep the plans as is because I would regret it in the long run and at the difference would be 500 or so blocks - I agreed but I have my doubts again. Would I be better off reducing the house to maybe 200 - would there be a major saving? Thanks in advance.

What is it coming in at with all included to builders finish, ie without flooring etc? it appears incredibly cheap/unrealistic, for builders finish going with a contractor you would expect it to be somewhere between €350-400k for that square meterage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

JimmyMW wrote: »
    What is it coming in at with all included to builders finish, ie without flooring etc? it appears incredibly cheap/unrealistic, for builders finish going with a contractor you would expect it to be somewhere between €350-400k for that square meterage

The completed price I got, I should have said that this was two years ago, was €295,000. It does seem very reasonable. Bank price to finish is €225. This contractor has built plenty of housing estates and the prices for these houses are from €165,000 (3 bed) to €190,000 (4 bed).
    My price is build, carpentry, stone wall and on house front, site clean up & plastering. I'm sourcing plumbing, windows and electrician myself.
    Anyway, should I downsize or stick as I am?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The completed price I got, I should have said that this was two years ago, was €295,000. It does seem very reasonable. Bank price to finish is €225. This contractor has built plenty of housing estates and the prices for these houses are from €165,000 (3 bed) to €190,000 (4 bed).
    My price is build, carpentry, stone wall and on house front, site clean up & plastering. I'm sourcing plumbing, windows and electrician myself.
    Anyway, should I downsize or stick as I am?

Only you can answer this question.

Either way it’s one of the cheapest quotes for a new build in the country.

When you say you have to sort plumbing, do you also have to soirée the renewable element?

Also planning issues if not constructed as per grant.

Gumbo wrote: »

When you say you have to sort plumbing, do you also have to soirée the renewable element?

No, not going the renewable option. Plumbing is sorted.

For resize is it full 12 weeks for planning again?

As aside, I was trying to work what a house that size looks like and was looking at the future neighbours who have a similar house and had the same architect and I like it. They have conservatory which I won't have.

Do building regulations not require renewables?

ted1 wrote: »
    Do building regulations not require renewables?

Maybe I took Gumbo wrong but I thought he/she was tongue in cheek with the soiree for renewable.

Yes I think renewable is included there somewhere - isn't that in the planning application??

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I don't think thats a mad size, its still below the average size of a US home so hardly some sprawling mansion.

It would cost you more to extend in the future and also with detached houses bigger houses pay for themselves at sale time, when youre in your later days you could always sell and downsize but you'd get a premium over a 200sq meter house for that extra space.

Id keep it where it is.

• Advertisement

As a matter of interest what other quotes have you come across in the last while?

For resize is it full 12 weeks for planning again?.

Renewables are mandatory.

Alteration is full planning again yes.
    Maybe I took Gumbo wrong but I thought he/she was tongue in cheek with the soiree for renewable.

Yes I think renewable is included there somewhere - isn't that in the planning application??

Renewables not part of planning, they are part of the building regulations and usually carried out by the M&E, so if your doing the plumbing, it’s most likely you that has to sort this out.

jt69er wrote: »
    As a matter of interest what other quotes have you come across in the last while?

At least 2 per week.

At least 2 per week.

Sorry, you may have misunderstood my question, I was merely wondering what the average house build is costing at the moment, I thought you might have had some examples.

jt69er wrote: »
    Sorry, you may have misunderstood my question, I was merely wondering what the average house build is costing at the moment, I thought you might have had some examples.

2000-2500 per square meter give or take. Especially I’m the greater Dublin area.

2 extensions in Dublin this week.

15 square meter €42k
    14 square meter €41.5k

2 extensions priced by 2 different builders.

2000-2500 per square meter give or take. Especially I’m the greater Dublin area.

2 extensions in Dublin this week.

15 square meter €42k
    14 square meter €41.5k

2 extensions priced by 2 different builders.

2,700 sq m. If you are looking to include a bathroom

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Do you mean downsizing your plans by a certain percentage, ie reducing the size of each room or just refiguring the sizes of rooms in the house?
    For example I don’t see the point of having massive halls in houses. Also huge bedrooms. You need ample room for a bed, and storage like a chest of drawers, bedside storage and a wardrobe but other than that what else would you need. I’d keep my kitchen as roomy as possible and a utility.
    I guess I’m thinking of those massive rectangular two storey houses you see plonked in the middle of rectangular sites in the country.
    I’d take a smaller, cleverly planned house any day over those. The bigger the floor plan the more expensive it is to heat, floor, carpet and paint.
    Clever use of space and ample storage is the way to go. Spend as much as you can on insulation and air tightness and go the renewable route as much as you can for heat and power.

Do you mean downsizing your plans by a certain percentage, ie reducing the size of each room or just refiguring the sizes of rooms in the house?
    For example I don’t see the point of having massive halls in houses. Also huge bedrooms. You need ample room for a bed, and storage like a chest of drawers, bedside storage and a wardrobe but other than that what else would you need. I’d keep my kitchen as roomy as possible and a utility.
    I guess I’m thinking of those massive rectangular two storey houses you see plonked in the middle of rectangular sites in the country.
    I’d take a smaller, cleverly planned house any day over those. The bigger the floor plan the more expensive it is to heat, floor, carpet and paint.
    Clever use of space and ample storage is the way to go. Spend as much as you can on insulation and air tightness and go the renewable route as much as you can for heat and power.

Just keep in mind, with kids bedrooms, when it comes to exam times to leave room to fit a desk and comfortable chair for study.

Advertisement