Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does a covered gazebo (but no walls) use part of my 25sqM allowance

• 15-02-2021 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hello,
    I have 2 garden sheds totalling about 25 sqM in my back garden (~0.75 acres). I would like to build a 12 sqM covered gazebo (with roof, but no walls, just corner posts), will this push me over my planning exempt threshold. Does something without walls still get treated the same as a shed etc.? In short, will I require permission?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,704 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i would consider a gazebo to be "similar" to an awning in that its a roofed wall-less structure

CLASS 3

The construction, erection or placing within the curtilage of a house of any tent, awning, shade or other object, greenhouse, garage, store, shed or other similar structure.

therefore in my opinion its is reckonable in the 25 sq m

• Registered Users Posts: 27 andholm

Thanks for that. Seems pretty clear when you see it written like that. Appreciate the guidance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

andholm wrote: »
    Hello,
    I have 2 garden sheds totalling about 25 sqM in my back garden (~0.75 acres). I would like to build a 12 sqM covered gazebo (with roof, but no walls, just corner posts), will this push me over my planning exempt threshold. Does something without walls still get treated the same as a shed etc.? In short, will I require permission?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,015 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Funnily enough, when Dermot Bannon did his own house on Room to Improve he had two small sheds with a roof structure joining the two (but completely open at the front and back). He ended up having to go for retention permission because he hadn't factored in the covered space in the area, which pushed it over 25m2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Nothing suprises me with Mr Bannon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

KevRossi wrote: »
    Nothing suprises me with Mr Bannon.

Budgetless Bannon :D

Penn wrote: »
    Funnily enough, when Dermot Bannon did his own house on Room to Improve he had two small sheds with a roof structure joining the two (but completely open at the front and back). He ended up having to go for retention permission because he hadn't factored in the covered space in the area, which pushed it over 25m2.

And it wasn’t the first time, or the first property he’s got caught for that on ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

andholm wrote: »
    Hello,

No

No

Based on what legislation?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Based on what legislation?
    Based on the premise that it's garden furniture and that your neighbours are not mini hitlers!

• Advertisement

Based on the premise that it's garden furniture and that your neighbours are not mini hitlers!

Ah yes, good ol freeman of the land bullish!t....

Meanwhile back in the real world.....

So in other words, you’ve no idea what your talking about.

In other breaking news, driving at 200km/h on the M50 is legal. Once the other cats don’t rat you out and are not mini hitlers.

If the gazebo is temporary and tied to the ground by strings or the like, it may be regarded as furniture in my opinion. However, if the corner posts are affixed to the ground, then it's plainly not.

If the gazebo is temporary and tied to the ground by strings or the like, it may be regarded as furniture in my opinion. However, if the corner posts are affixed to the ground, then it's plainly not.

is a tent connected to the ground by posts or strings?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    is a tent connected to the ground by posts or strings?

Both, well poles instead of posts, but the poles are not affixed to the ground.

Hoof Hearted deleted a post just before mine where he snottily urged us to look up the definintion of a gazebo. That is what my post was in reference to.

Both, well poles instead of posts, but the poles are not affixed to the ground.

Hoof Hearted deleted a post just before mine where he snottily urged us to look up the definintion of a gazebo. That is what my post was in reference to.

Two points.

Firstly, your assumption that I deleted my posts is incorrect. FYI I did not. If you would like to know what happened to them, Gumbo might be the person to ask.

Second point, what you are referring to as a Gazebo with Strings is not a Gazebo, it's a tent of sorts I guess, I don't really know what that is, but I was genuine when I said look up the definition but it seems that that was too much work.
    So here you are, this is an excellent description of what a Gazebo is, in every traditional and modern sense https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gazebo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,539 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The OP says he wants to build a structure with a roof and corner posts but no walls. It doesn't sound that he has anything temporary or secured with string in mind.

A tentlike structure that consists of a single-layer roof but no walls and that is supported by poles and/or guys isn't a gazebo; it's a fly. If it has poles and walls (usually detachable) and if it is sufficiently grand then it's a marquee. If it's not big enough to be a marquee then it's just a tent.

Two points.

Firstly, your assumption that I deleted my posts is incorrect. FYI I did not. If you would like to know what happened to them, Gumbo might be the person to ask.

Second point, what you are referring to as a Gazebo with Strings is not a Gazebo, it's a tent of sorts I guess, I don't really know what that is, but I was genuine when I said look up the definition but it seems that that was too much work.
    So here you are, this is an excellent description of what a Gazebo is, in every traditional and modern sense https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gazebo

Two points.

First point. I’m not a mod in this forum....

Second point. That link you posted requires planning so it backs up all the previous posts. The structure the OP wants to build requires planning based on the info they provided. If they come back and provide an example of what they want, the. People could maybe offer a further opinion.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: I deleted some of your posts yesterday due to your posting style/language being unacceptable.

Advertisement