Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dynamo problem on a 35

• 15-02-2021 3:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭

I put a new dynamo on the 35 as the old one got really noisey. The new one has started generating the same noise after only a few months! Is this just a coincidence or is there something else i am missing with it that is causing the noise?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭148multi

How tight is the fan belt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭Avns1s

As Multi says, check the tightness of the belt and also check for any parts of the fan belt that are worn or damaged that could be putting pressure on the front bearings of the dynamo.

I presume you can feel a roughness on the pulley when you rotate it with the belt off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

Avns1s wrote: »
    As Multi says, check the tightness of the belt and also check for any parts of the fan belt that are worn or damaged that could be putting pressure on the front bearings of the dynamo.

I presume you can feel a roughness on the pulley when you rotate it with the belt off?

Thanks for the replies. I will check it with the belt removed and let ye know how I get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭emaherx

muddle84 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I will check it with the belt removed and let ye know how I get on.

As a matter of interest, is this a machine kept to show standard where you need to keep the original style dynamo?

Alternator kits are readily available for these tractors and are fairly straightforward to install. An alternator is far more reliable than those old type dynamos.

emaherx wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, is this a machine kept to show standard where you need to keep the original style dynamo?

Alternator kits are readily available for these tractors and are fairly straightforward to install. An alternator is far more reliable than those old type dynamos.

Not, not show standard at all. Its in ok condition, but still a workhorse as opposed to a show pony!

I never bothered with the alternator as its kept outside alot of the time and i was told the alternators burn out once they get wet?

• Advertisement

Not, not show standard at all. Its in ok condition, but still a workhorse as opposed to a show pony!

I never bothered with the alternator as its kept outside alot of the time and i was told the alternators burn out once they get wet?

Never had issue with alternators because they get wet. What would the difference between having one bolted to the side of a 35, 135, 240 or 350 which are all more or less the same tractor but 2 of them shipped with an alternator.

I upgraded to an alternator on my 135 and it lives outside most of the year, only put it in for winter months.

emaherx wrote: »
    Never had issue with alternators because they get wet. What would the difference between having one bolted to the side of a 35, 135, 240 or 350 which are all more or less the same tractor but 2 of them shipped with an alternator.

I upgraded to an alternator on my 135 and it lives outside most of the year, only put it in for winter months.

Thats great info to have thanks for that! Did you wire it yourself? Ive seen the kits, do you just fit a new ignition switch and light and then wire it to the starter and alternator itself?

Thats great info to have thanks for that! Did you wire it yourself? Ive seen the kits, do you just fit a new ignition switch and light and then wire it to the starter and alternator itself?

I wired it myself, and modified the existing brackets. But that was about 10 years ago and I didn't know about the kits.

Yes you need a new switch, bracket, loom with a light and an alternator. Can be all got as a kit and is simple enough install.

Don't modify the existing loom, some do but it's not a good job and wiring is likely not suitable for the extra current from the alternator.

Advertisement