Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Then there was 1...

Options
  • 15-02-2021 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭

inspired by a YouTube video I watched recently where people were asked what would you do if all humans on the planet disappeared overnight, and all that was left was you you? Ignoring zombies for a moment, what would you do if you were the only human left in the morning?

I know I would like to travel. I would like to see some of the sites on the planet before they disappear. Sites that I can't see now. I think I would take a boat to mainland France and from there take a car. Most of Europe / Asia would be open to me quite easily. I would stop off and Paris andn the Louvre, and see some of the greatest paintings in the world. Then on to Rome to see the Sistine chapel. On to Jerusalem and go inside the Well of Souls. Check out Mecca and sit inside the Holiest of Holies. Maybe check out the pyramids of Egyp. Imagine being able to set up your shelter for a month or two inside the great pyramid of Cheops. Wouldn't it be nice to spend a week in the top floor suite of the Burj khalifa ?

What would you do if you were the last person on Earth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

inspired by a YouTube video I watched recently where people were asked what would you do if all humans on the planet disappeared overnight, and all that was left was you you? Ignoring zombies for a moment, what would you do if you were the only human left in the morning?

I know I would like to travel. I would like to see some of the sites on the planet before they disappear. Sites that I can't see now. I think I would take a boat to mainland France and from there take a car. Most of Europe / Asia would be open to me quite easily. I would stop off and Paris andn the Louvre, and see some of the greatest paintings in the world. Then on to Rome to see the Sistine chapel. On to Jerusalem and go inside the Well of Souls. Check out Mecca and sit inside the Holiest of Holies. Maybe check out the pyramids of Egyp. Imagine being able to set up your shelter for a month or two inside the great pyramid of Cheops. Wouldn't it be nice to spend a week in the top floor suite of the Burj khalifa ?

You'd be climbing stairs all the way to the top of the Burj Khalifa (and back dwon), and carrying a torch to see your way.

You'd also have to siphon the fuel for your car, or find a way to pump it out of petrol station tanks. You'd almost certainly have to find a way to move lots and lots of vehicles blocking roads.

Might not be the relaxing trip you've envisioned.

You're going to row across the Irish Sea?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

the logistics of food and survival far outweigh the desire to see the world. Without planes, trains etc travel is hard. like really really difficult. Forget zombies, ferel dogs and no medical care!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

You're going to row across the Irish Sea?

If i cant find a boat with working engine, i will sail.

RandRuns wrote: »
    You'd be climbing stairs all the way to the top of the Burj Khalifa (and back dwon), and carrying a torch to see your way.

You'd also have to siphon the fuel for your car, or find a way to pump it out of petrol station tanks. You'd almost certainly have to find a way to move lots and lots of vehicles blocking roads.

Might not be the relaxing trip you've envisioned.

I think the effort would be worth it. And plenty of daylight over there!

Cars / jeeps running on diesel would be easier. Home heating oil will do in a pinch. If I come across a roadblock I cant avoid, then I take out my bike and ride. I have all the time in the world :-)

• Advertisement

If the end comes, and I am with a group at home , then I stay at home. If I am the only one left, then I might as well see a bit of the world. Thats my plan. For all its faults / dangers, I think I would like to spend last days trying to do something meaningful to me.

What would you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

Hate to break it to you, but if there are no other humans on the planet, then all the nuclear reactors will melt down and there will be an extinction event which will wipe out virtually all life and destroy everything you'd be rowing over to look at.

Tpcl20 wrote: »
    Hate to break it to you, but if there are no other humans on the planet, then all the nuclear reactors will melt down and there will be an extinction event which will wipe out virtually all life and destroy everything you'd be rowing over to look at.

so what would you do?

So, AFTER the ferel dogs and the Nuclear reactors and the issues around transport and seafaring and the lack of food and electricity and sanitation caused by 7 billion dead people just lying around.. then, then we'll go visit the Louvre.

all negativity aside, Id go looking for other humans. Id have no reason to believe i was the only survivor, even if I was. Id start by exploring Ireland. I'd imagine id spend a lot of time here before venturing to the UK to continue my search.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

so what would you do?

I'd prepare to be obliterated! In the meantime, I'd probably head down to the nearest garda station and find all the evidence they took in recently to help make the last moments at least somewhat "enlightening". I know a couple of scenic spots around the West I could break into a few houses and get a good view for the end. :pac:

Until this year I would have thought I'd be very lonely once everyone else was gone, but tbh if there was no risk of nuclear fallout I think I'd actually love the freedom. Trekking around Ireland never gets boring. I'm dying for the 5k to be lifted so I can head off and set up camp in a new place every weekend.

If I'd time, I'd have to learn to fly and head over the water during a clear spell. A boat, while easier to manage on the face of it, could more easily encounter unpredictable weather and the last thing you'd want as the last man on earth is to be looking for the lifeboats.

Tpcl20 wrote: »
    If I'd time, I'd have to learn to fly and head over the water during a clear spell. A boat, while easier to manage ...

Yea, thats why I picked a boat. Go with the things you know! Good idea to learn to fly. Plenty of time to practice . And sure to be lots of planes in small airports here. You just got to stay airborne for an hour and you have lots of options open to you.

all negativity aside, Id go looking for other humans. Id have no reason to believe i was the only survivor, even if I was. Id start by exploring Ireland. I'd imagine id spend a lot of time here before venturing to the UK to continue my search.

....maybe go to Phoenix park & sleep in Presidents bed? lol

I think if you are last person left (or think you are) then you have to set a goal other than survival. Searching for others, or exploring, or both, are worthwhile imho.

I think the current travel restrictions have made exploring more appealing to me. Def worth the extra risks it brings.

Advertisement