Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mirror glass fell off and hit the van behind

• 15-02-2021 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

While I was driving in motorway ,my mirror glass from the wing mirror fell off may be because of wind and the person behind me claim it hit his van (Ford Transit) . There is mirror dots on the bonnet and windscreen (no cracks).
    I have managed to ride over 10 years without making a claim. When I talked to my insurer they said if I make a claim I may lose my no claim bonus. Now I have to either pay the full amount to paint and change the windscreen or claim and lose my no claim bonus because of an incident that happen not from my fault. Do you find any solution.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Well, it did fall off and it's quite likely it did hit the car behind...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Sorry OP, it is your fault in that you are responsible for the condition of your vehicle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 sdfsdfdf

The solution is to pay it yourself or claim from your insurance. There is no other solution (assuming that the other motorist wants the damage repaired).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bibinc1982

Seems i don't have any other option. I was confused at first should I have to pay on this as I tried to find how to get a claim if my windscreen is broken from a stone from a truck. I have gone through few sites and found its not a easy task. My main worry is I am going to lose my NCB from an incident that I had no control to avoid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's just unfortunate that someone was behind when it happened.
    Mirror glass don't just fall out by themselves, the glue is very strong.
    Was the mirror repaired at some point?

• Advertisement

The Mirror glass was not cracked or repaired and only the glass have fallen out while driving. I asked this question to know do I have any thing to point out and avoid losing that NCB. Seems not. Thanks all for responding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭AnRothar

biko wrote: »
    It's just unfortunate that someone was behind when it happened.
    Mirror glass don't just fall out by themselves, the glue is very strong.
    Was the mirror repaired at some point?
    Some cars have a heating element in the mirror to assist clearing when frozen.

My current car has a dedicated on switch.
    Urban legend has it that there is a remote possibility that if left on too long that it may soften the glue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

That is what insurance is for.

Either you pay for the damage that your vehicle caused or you go through your insurance and suck up any subsequent NCB change has.

The injured party has to be paid and it’s up to you to choose between it comping directly from your pocket or via the insurance company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,739 ✭✭✭✭kippy

bibinc1982 wrote: »
    The Mirror glass was not cracked or repaired and only the glass have fallen out while driving. I asked this question to know do I have any thing to point out and avoid losing that NCB. Seems not. Thanks all for responding

You can pay for the repairs out of your own pocket if you chose.

Seems this may happen because when I checked my mirror was set on the heating point . Now will will hope that person will give a fair quote to avoid losing the NCB.

• Advertisement
Advertisement