Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

whatever76 wrote: »
    good day deli is worth a trip - https://www.gooddaydeli.ie/

Now that does look like something a little different. Will definitely check it out if I can get down there when its open

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Edit: forgot to mention...think its only quesadillas that you can collect cooked from BDSM. There is a taco kit to make at home if thats something you want.

Ah looks like you're right, thats a shame. Wonder why they stopped doing them for collect if they're still doing the quesadillas

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Yeah its a right pain.
    No way of getting a selection of tacos from T.jacks without paying for the Rice and beans. Might float the suggestion to them

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

pwurple wrote: »
    Golden Elephant in douglas is one my GF pal loves...

Thanks for this rec! We ended up getting Golden Elephant and it was delicious! Absolutely sound people too. Very recommended if you are coeliac.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

unplayable wrote: »
    Anyone have an idea of who is doing takeaway pints in town? Sorry if wrong thread.

Loads of places now doing takeaway pints. El finex, goldbergs, poor relation, brick Lane, Soho, O'Sho to name just a few. You'll have no trouble finding a pint Thur - Sun at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Loads of places now doing takeaway pints. El finex, goldbergs, poor relation, brick Lane, Soho, O'Sho to name just a few. You'll have no trouble finding a pint Thur - Sun at the very least.

Is there anywhere to sit? Smoking area or benches, or are you sent out onto the streets with your pint?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

No seats. You are meant to consume your tasty beverage more than 100m away from the premises of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Order at the door, get your pint (often plastic pint glass dropped into a large coffee cup) and head least 100m away(not always enforced).
    Look it ain't a night out of old but grab a nice takeaway and grab a takeaway pint. Find a sunny spot and enjoy it. Its a one or two pint job with food really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Samhain wrote: »
    No seats. You are meant to consume your tasty beverage more than 100m away from the premises of purchase.

And not on the street, as it's illegal within the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Cotts72

A pint in a coffee cup just doesn't appeal to me, looking forward to the real thing sooner rather than later hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

On paper, yup. But i haven't seen that enforced in a looooooong time.

Drink on!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

Order at the door, get your pint (often plastic pint glass dropped into a large coffee cup) and head least 100m away(not always enforced).
    Look it ain't a night out of old but grab a nice takeaway and grab a takeaway pint. Find a sunny spot and enjoy it. Its a one or two pint job with food really.

why did they switch to paper cups as oppose to plastic glasses?

sporina wrote: »
    why did they switch to paper cups as oppose to plastic glasses?

Environmentally better and they look more like coffee to any passing Gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

There is a blind eye being turned to it at the moment though. As long as you are not taking the piss you seem to be left be.

There is a blind eye being turned to it at the moment though. As long as you are not taking the piss you seem to be left be.

Could be the case. But the illegality of street drinking is a tool they can use any time to move people on.

I think there's going to be a lot of drinking on the streets this summer. Toilet facilities are going to become a big problem, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

Now that the lock down has been eased, my mom wants to visit (hopefully tomorrow if the weather keeps) I'm trying to think of a good restaurant to take her to as we haven't really had the chance to meet up in a while. Any good suggestions?

The coffee cups were an agreement between vintners and council in an effort to make it look more aesthetically pleasing around the city instead of everyone drinking plastic cups. Not a garda deterrent

Street drinking is pretty much a thing now with the takeaway pints but what bugs me are the people rocking up with a box of Heineken and drinking them in the middle of these crowds

Cotts72 wrote: »

Street drinking is pretty much a thing now with the takeaway pints but what bugs me are the people rocking up with a box of Heineken and drinking them in the middle of these crowds

I don't get this. Street drinking is OK if you're paying pub prices but not otherwise?
    The pubs don't own the streets, you know.

What is your reasoning for this bias?

Now that the lock down has been eased, my mom wants to visit (hopefully tomorrow if the weather keeps) I'm trying to think of a good restaurant to take her to as we haven't really had the chance to meet up in a while. Any good suggestions?

Restaurants are closed except for takeaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

Could be the case. But the illegality of street drinking is a tool they can use any time to move people on.

I think there's going to be a lot of drinking on the streets this summer. Toilet facilities are going to become a big problem, I think.

Plenty drinking on cornmarket street today even right outside rising sons.

• Advertisement

ofcork wrote: »
    Plenty drinking on cornmarket street today even right outside rising sons.

thats been going on a while now..

esp outside The Bodega..

I don't get this. Street drinking is OK if you're paying pub prices but not otherwise?
    The pubs don't own the streets, you know.

What is your reasoning for this bias?

There's no bias, I don't even agree with the street drinking nor do I care for the pubs. I'm saying it in the context that the whole Concept of street drinking appears to be here to stay and people will just have to accept it as being a thing now.

If I'm walking up Patrick St I'd be happier seeing 4 lads drinking 4 coffee cups of alcohol rather than cracking open a slab of cans

There's no bias, I don't even agree with the street drinking nor do I care for the pubs. I'm saying it in the context that the whole Concept of street drinking appears to be here to stay and people will just have to accept it as being a thing now.

If I'm walking up Patrick St I'd be happier seeing 4 lads drinking 4 coffee cups of alcohol rather than cracking open a slab of cans

There will be a crackdown on the cans in areas around pubs once Covid is over. The Vintners will make sure of that

What about 4 lads with 4 cans? It doesn't have to be a slab.

I just don't get why expensive alcohol from pubs is OK(ish) but cheaper cans from the offie aren't.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    There will be a crackdown on the cans in areas around pubs once Covid is over. The Vintners will make sure of that

I'd imagine after COVID there will be a crackdown on on-street drinking generally.

What about 4 lads with 4 cans? It doesn't have to be a slab.

I just don't get why expensive alcohol from pubs is OK(ish) but cheaper cans from the offie aren't.

Again.. You're not grasping my point and seem to think I'm Pro pub for some reason.

How do you suggest cracking down on this? Council by laws are already in place regarding on street drinking but people choose to ignore it and don't care. It's near impossible for gardai to go around and find everyone in breach if it

Again.. You're not grasping my point

I'm really not.

Twice you've singled out people drinking cans on the street as worse than people drinking takeaway pints from pubs on the street.
    I don't understand this.
    But we're just going around in circles.

not exactly gourmet but just had a fab feed from O'Reilly's food truck Carraigcrohane Rd.. we had a classic burger, creole chicken, chips, aioli and peri peri sauce.. yum, yum, yum.. gourmet as fast food goes for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

sporina wrote: »
    not exactly gourmet but just had a fab feed from O'Reilly's food truck Carraigcrohane Rd.. we had a classic burger, creole chicken, chips, aioli and peri peri sauce.. yum, yum, yum.. gourmet as fast food goes for me..

I need to order from them soon. Sounds tasty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Has anyone tried The Curry Pot on Pope's Quay. Their menu is limited and it looks to be roughly 20 for rice and a main and delivery. The fried rice is 8 alone? The reviews are good though. I just think it's a bit expensive as I rarely eat take away and am thinking of maybe a treat for a nice Indian type dish.

Advertisement