Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Anyone tried La Calavera in Douglas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

Got la cavalera not long after they first opened. Food was grand, not bad but wouldn't be in a mad rush back either. They had a new guy on who appeared to be seriously out of his depth which may not have helped...hands shaking etc. He even set something on fire at one stage. Might give it another go if I'm around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭sporina

Anyone eaten from Coleman's Butchers Grill in Mogeely?

Mate lives near it and loves it - the burgers are seriously good according to him...

Kerry25x wrote: »

Went there a handful of times. Staff and service were fine each time.

Decent place for a burrito. Personally Id choose Boojum over it. Found it was quite bland the last time I went so never went back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Samhain wrote: »
    He even set something on fire at one stage.

LoL

I've been to Cavalera a few times. The only problem is you have a different person making their own version of a burrito / quesadilla every time. There's no standard (in my experience).

I had an amazing quesadilla there a year or so ago. Couldn't believe how tasty it was. It was made by some American wan. I ate inside and was dying from the taste-gasm.

Brought a friend there a couple of months later telling him "you have to try their quesadillas!" and there was a different girl there, Irish girl. Made a balls of it.

I decided to go there a few weeks after that, chancing my luck that the American girl would be there but there was a Chinese guy whipping up burritos. So I just got a burrito. To be fair it was tasty.

Basically the moral of the story (or my story at least) is it's different every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

sporina wrote: »
    Anyone eaten from Coleman's Butchers Grill in Mogeely?

Where is Mogeely? Colemans Butchers Mogeely brings up Youghal on google maps.

Where is Mogeely? Colemans Butchers Mogeely brings up Youghal on google maps.

the butchers is in the Youghal but the grill is in Mogeely

if your on FB look up Coleman's Butcher Grill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

Decided to give Zaiqa on the Tramore Road a go. Placed order for collection on just eat and paid in advance. Arrived and they had no record of the order. Staff very ignorant and not a mask in sight either so I cut my losses and got a refund off just eat...won't be darkening their door again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,606 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Sorry for being a bit off topic but this article in The Guardian about food delivery coops in each city is very relevant with so much being delivered ATM.
    Basically rather than being employed/slave to one of the large companies, the local drivers form a coop. Would be a nice option to see take off in Cork.
    It can be done as a guy in Marseille has written the software needed.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/11/more-than-a-job-the-meal-delivery-co-ops-making-the-gig-economy-fairer

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Billythekid19

Got Greene's finish at home box.
    Seafood risotto was very average, kinda tasted like it was batch cooked.
    The Angus beef was nice and tasty.
    Feel like i'd have done a similar job by buying good ingredients from supervalu.
    Overall a 6/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Had Greenes finish at home recently too, wanted to order something a bit pricey as husbands work were paying. It was nice enough but I wouldn't bother with it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭notAMember

Recommending Cafe Izz. We got a Manooshet with beef and extra jalapenos. It's like a pizza, but with spicy mince on top. Really really tasty. We had stuffed vine leaves too, which the others loved, but they are not my bag personally, I don't like that texture.

notAMember wrote: »
    Recommending Cafe Izz. We got a Manooshet with beef and extra jalapenos. It's like a pizza, but with spicy mince on top. Really really tasty. We had stuffed vine leaves too, which the others loved, but they are not my bag personally, I don't like that texture.

yes we love it.. usually get the hummus with flat bread (its divine - served like a balloon :D), and the Chicken/Zaatar Manooshet - love the flavours.. sumac, pomegranates etc.. hmm.. must try the beef one sometime..
    and their food is so light.. don't feel stuffed like I often do after pizza.. hmm hmm hmm

Water John wrote: »
    Sorry for being a bit off topic but this article in The Guardian about food delivery coops in each city is very relevant with so much being delivered ATM.
    Basically rather than being employed/slave to one of the large companies, the local drivers form a coop. Would be a nice option to see take off in Cork.
    It can be done as a guy in Marseille has written the software needed.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/11/more-than-a-job-the-meal-delivery-co-ops-making-the-gig-economy-fairer

That'd be good, Deliveroo is taking the p1ss out of the suppliers and the delivery folk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,081 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Augeo wrote: »
    That'd be good, Deliveroo is taking the p1ss out of the suppliers and the delivery folk.

But would people be willing to pay more for a more equitable delivery service?

I don't get food delivered so I can't really answer that question for me. What about others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,606 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Food doesn't cost more, the coop takes less of a cut, from my reading. Companies are taking one third and more, coop less than a quarter. The staff aren't making a lot more but have more control of their own lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭notAMember

Water John wrote: »
    Food doesn't cost more, the coop takes less of a cut, from my reading. Companies are taking one third and more, coop less than a quarter. The staff aren't making a lot more but have more control of their own lives.

Is this a similar concept to Neighbourhood Food? I know this is pickup, rather than delivery, but I have used this from time to time.

https://www.neighbourfood.ie/

But would people be willing to pay more for a more equitable delivery service?

I don't get food delivered so I can't really answer that question for me. What about others?

Deliveroo take up to 30% of the food price .......... most places prefer if you order off justeat.

As Water John detailed the co op delivery option won't result in the customer paying more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

any experience of palmento for pizzas? did my tour of the city places last year and am thinking about expanding my reaches this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭Corkladddd!!

any experience of palmento for pizzas? did my tour of the city places last year and am thinking about expanding my reaches this summer

very good, I believe it's owned by the same people as Novocento? I like their parmesan fries on the side too!

• Advertisement

very good, I believe it's owned by the same people as Novocento? I like their parmesan fries on the side too!

didnt realise they have the same owners, that sounds pretty promising so i have to say. only bit of skepticism i have is that they use the toons bridge mozzarella, have had a few places use it and it turned fairly soupy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭Corkladddd!!

didnt realise they have the same owners, that sounds pretty promising so i have to say. only bit of skepticism i have is that they use the toons bridge mozzarella, have had a few places use it and it turned fairly soupy

It can do, I tend to collect rather than get delivery and find that has made a difference. Top tip if you are doing this, don't order the Nduja sausage and collect it in your car with cream seats, it's oily :( Also, they dont pre slice so don't try tear a slice out when you get home. I tend to learn by making mistakes :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,213 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Your thinking of La Tana. Two brothers owned that and then one went away himself and opened Palmento.

rob316 wrote: »
    Your thinking of La Tana. Two brothers owned that and then one went away himself and opened Palmento.

fan of la tana so still all good in my books

fan of la tana so still all good in my books

Novecento all the way for me.. never had a bad pizza from there - and i think they are fab.. had La Tana twice and never again - base was soggy and toppings kinda loaded on - couldn't be eaten by hand.. man never again.. not had La Palmento but its meant to be v good - a mate of mine lives in Douglas and gets it regularly.. but its not for everyone it seems.. depends what kind of pizza you like.. think they are more Neapolitan in style.. chewy base and heavy on the cheese etc.. but sure give it a whirl.. see if you like it..

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Billythekid19

Does anyone have any good recommendations for restaurants doing finish at home takeaways for the weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Does anyone have any good recommendations for restaurants doing finish at home takeaways for the weekend?

The Glass curtain is always excellent.

Amazing when eating in the restaurant itself, takeaway isn't great. got takeaway 3 times there and gave them the benefit of the doubt the first two times I tried, the third time was equally disappointing. Bases were soggy and pizza itself didn't taste great. Ill definitely be back when we can indoor dine but wouldn't be getting takeaway there again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

I've become a fan of the My Goodness stall in the market, food is grand but it's their hot chocolate that keep drawing me back :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyone Else here not a fan of the cocktails from cask? Just the taste of alcohol is too strong , like drinking neat spirits.

I think their food is nice but I’m not ordering cocktails there again.

Advertisement