Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

RINO87 wrote: »
    Four Liars BYOB....

We love the food from there, and can't wait until we are able to sit in there, never got the chance when they opened. I was just wondering do the advertise the BYOB thing? Do they just not have a license for beer and wine, or do they not serve it because its against their beliefs etc...

If it was the latter, I wouldnt be comfortable rocking up with a few beers or a bottle of wine if it was something that they were against on religious grounds or whatever.... but if its just a license issue then a big bag of cans it is!

I suspect it's the latter, which would explain them not charging corkage as they would be profiting from it.

However, they are extremely chilled about it and, genuinely, don't seem to mind people bringing booze in.

We arrived and asked if they sold wine. Told, no, but we could bring our own so I nipped home for a bottle. They happily supplied glasses.
    I just wish I liked the food more - nice people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

RINO87 wrote: »
    Four Liars BYOB....

We love the food from there, and can't wait until we are able to sit in there, never got the chance when they opened. I was just wondering do the advertise the BYOB thing? Do they just not have a license for beer and wine, or do they not serve it because its against their beliefs etc...

If it was the latter, I wouldnt be comfortable rocking up with a few beers or a bottle of wine if it was something that they were against on religious grounds or whatever.... but if its just a license issue then a big bag of cans it is!

yeah its due to their beliefs but they have no prob with folk bringing their own at all.. (spoke to them about it before)

we have a booking made for end of June - can't wait - only ever had their food as take away... and love it - I am sure it will be even better when dining there (even if it is outdoors lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭RINO87

Thank you both.^^

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Lads - anyone know if Mirch Masala (Indian restaurant) in Cork shut down? Saw a Mirch Masala opening in Clon soon, just thinking if its the same one...

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Debub wrote: »
    Lads - anyone know if Mirch Masala (Indian restaurant) in Cork shut down? Saw a Mirch Masala opening in Clon soon, just thinking if its the same one...

thanks

I've passed it the last couple of mornings. The menus on the boards outside & in the windows are gone, and the chairs are up on the tables. But nothing to say closed, closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Try sage.
    Ferrit and Lee is pretty good, too but I'd pick Sage over it.

Tried there but they are booked solid for the 18th and 19th. Will try Youghal, we are heading down to Trabolgan from Dublin so open to any ideas tbh

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I suspect it's the latter, which would explain them not charging corkage as they would be profiting from it.

However, they are extremely chilled about it and, genuinely, don't seem to mind people bringing booze in.

We arrived and asked if they sold wine. Told, no, but we could bring our own so I nipped home for a bottle. They happily supplied glasses.
    I just wish I liked the food more - nice people.

I wonder can we bring our own herbs and pickles too :)

I also found the food a bit bland, but will happily try it again when it reopens.

They were very friendly. It's a lovely area to sit outside, when the weather improves...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭RINO87

Tried there but they are booked solid for the 18th and 19th. Will try Youghal, we are heading down to Trabolgan from Dublin so open to any ideas tbh

The pepperstack in Aghada would have been ideal....sadface

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for restaurants in West Cork please? Heading in June and always go to the same haunts. Would love some recommendations.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I wonder can we bring our own herbs and pickles too :)

Ha ha, that would be great!
    It's all a bit bland, isn't it?

• Advertisement

It could do with some more flavour.

I don't know too much about Syrian food specifically, but Eastern Med food has pomegranates, fresh herbs, cheese, lots of vegetables, lots of olive oil, grilled meats made with lots of parsley, garlic sauce, so many breads... We need more of that stuff.

I think they're holding back a bit!

awe - ye have your tastebuds ruined with all your condiments.. :pac:

their meats.. drool - my mouth is watering in anticipation :D

I think they're holding back a bit!

I suspect they are trying to appeal to the local palate a bit - hence the pizza and burgers, too.

Like you, I'd just like more fresh, zingy flavours.
    Lemon juice and zest, garlic, fresh parsley and mint, pomegranate, chillies, pickles etc.
    I was really disappointed as it's near to my home and they seem very friendly and I wish them well.

I suspect they are trying to appeal to the local palate a bit - hence the pizza and burgers, too.

Like you, I'd just like more fresh, zingy flavours.
    Lemon juice and zest, garlic, fresh parsley and mint, pomegranate, chillies, pickles etc.
    I was really disappointed as it's near to my home and they seem very friendly and I wish them well.

have you had food from Cafe Izz.. you will get all those ingredients there.. hmmm

sporina wrote: »
    have you had food from Cafe Izz.. you will get all those ingredients there.. hmmm

Eh....
    Perhaps I should try it again. It wasn't open long when I did try it but I thought it was really, really poor. I wanted to like it.

(I completely accept that I'm a fussy git when it comes to food)

Eh....
    Perhaps I should try it again. It wasn't open long when I did try it but I thought it was really, really poor. I wanted to like it.

you musta got it on a bad day.. their food is an symphony of middle eastern flavours.. zaatar, sumac, pomegranates, etc..

either that or you really have ruined your tastebuds.. :pac:

you musta got it on a bad day.. their food is an symphony of middle eastern flavours.. zaatar, sumac, pomegranates, etc..

As I said, it was early days. I will try again.
    So many people really rate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

As I said, it was early days. I will try again.
    So many people really rate it.

Oh god 100 percent try again! And they seem like the loveliest owners too!

I probably ordered the wrong thing in Izz too. It was the spinach manoushe, I thought the bread was a bit hard and flavourless.

I'd like to try it again, maybe in a group so we could all try different things. That's my favourite way of eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

I probably ordered the wrong thing in Izz too. It was the spinach manoushe, I thought the bread was a bit hard and flavourless.

I'd like to try it again, maybe in a group so we could all try different things. That's my favourite way of eating.

Get the Manooshet Beef Lamb Mince, and some hummus.

The spinach one is folded, right? It's too bready for me too.

That's why I like it when reviews here say what they got! There's a heck of a difference experience depending on what you order...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

sok2005 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for restaurants in West Cork please? Heading in June and always go to the same haunts. Would love some recommendations.

Church in Skibereen is fab, they have a nice outdoor area too.

where abouts in WC will you be? and what are the "same haunts"? just so we don't overlap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

International Burger Day today, in case you didn’t know. Anyone hear of any burger joints doing special offers for the day that’s in it??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

Not restaurant but fish basket at the long strand is great..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Market House in Roscarbery is very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

where abouts in WC will you be? and what are the "same haunts"? just so we don't overlap
    We'll be around the Clonakilty area but we'll drive around a bit. We usually go to the Whale's Tail, An Sugan, Fish Kitchen in Bantry, Fish Basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

There is an Italian guy (Marco) who puts up a stall in the Saturday market in Bandon, really good food in case around that area. Also Heavens cake in Bandon. Wharton’s in a Bantry for fish n chips (very nice chips). Shiny silver food van of Dave for Jerk chicken (African) and the black Pizza van and the Red Strand coffee from Shane in the Friday Bantry market.

We'll be around the Clonakilty area but we'll drive around a bit. We usually go to the Whale's Tail, An Sugan, Fish Kitchen in Bantry, Fish Basket.

awe ok - the only places I would add (that I know of and would recommend) are Pilgrims in Ross, the restaurant in Dunmore Hotel near Clon and Poachers in Bandon..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jazz_jazz

There's a cafe in Clon called Wilde & Co. Haven't been there yet myself but it's supposed to be lovely.
    The Mountain House in Ardfield.
    Monk's Lane in Timoleague.

Advertisement