Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think Dunmore House are adding or have added an organic garden to supply the restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

Sorry to be a party pooper but this is meant to be a city/hinterland thread....,. please resume business as always

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Finally got around to trying the Bunny Chow from the Gazebo in St. Luke's Cross. It was seriously tasty. Slow cooked lamb curry served in a half loaf of bread. Your man running it is sound out as well. So, will definitely be back for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Samhain wrote: »
    Sorry to be a party pooper but this is meant to be a city/hinterland thread....,. please resume business as always

Need to buy a bicycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Debub wrote: »
    Lads - anyone know if Mirch Masala (Indian restaurant) in Cork shut down? Saw a Mirch Masala opening in Clon soon, just thinking if its the same one...

thanks

Got a menu flyer for their city restaurant in the letterbox this weekend so must be still open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Got a menu flyer for their city restaurant in the letterbox this weekend so must be still open.

They're active on Just Eat but seem to be newly reopened

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Any restaurants in town doing a lamb rack? You know like those posh mint crust lamb racks you see on master chef.

The missus wants one when restaurants open up again for dining.

Only one I've found so far is Hayfield Manor's Orchid Restaurant. And that's not certain, I just saw it on one of their marketing pics and on a sample menu. Could have anything on the night we're there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

Any restaurants in town doing a lamb rack? You know like those posh mint crust lamb racks you see on master chef.

Only one I've found so far is Hayfield Manor's Orchid Restaurant. And that's not certain, I just saw it on one of their marketing pics and on a sample menu. Could have anything on the night we're there.

I think Issacs restaurant used to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

I am pretty sure Greenes McCurtain St had it on their menu when I was there pre covid.. might be worth checking out their website

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

If heading west the Lifeboat Inn in Courtmacsherry is a must

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

Dunleas in Blackpool do lovely coffees and baking.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

Dunleas in Blackpool do lovely coffees and baking.

They most certainly do. Staff are lovely too. They have a place on Center Park Road as well, though I haven't called in there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Finally went to masseytown,

Sadly the people in front of me got the little herb in the middle
    Of the string they use to wrap the roll ….

Yah 9.50 is nuts money for a cold very avg pulled beef roll, another person also got the same and we where both eating at a pillar in the city and both of us went meh it’s very over priced for what it is 5 euros I would fell fair enough but 9.50 and no smile with your service,

Also for a newly opened business it looks like a bomb hit it inside,

Yah I won’t be back at all unless I was very hungry and no where else is open

However is everyone looking forward to outdoor dining next week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Spideoige

Sadly the people in front of me got the little herb in the middle
    Of the string they use to wrap the roll ….

Yah 9.50 is nuts money for a cold very avg pulled beef roll, another person also got the same and we where both eating at a pillar in the city and both of us went meh it’s very over priced for what it is 5 euros I would fell fair enough but 9.50 and no smile with your service,

I also finally got around to trying Masseytown. I really like Pana Bread so was happy to see them supplying their bread, however I don't think I'll be back in a hurry. For 9.50 I would expect maybe a portion of potato wedges on the side at the least. I don't imagine they will survive in the long term with those prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

That, for me, is always a red flag. There is zero excuse for not having your premises tidy and clean and looking well.

Between that and everything else that's been mentioned, it just sounds like this guy has no business sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Certainly not getting a good vibe about Masseytown here :pac: Really wanna try that place on Victoria Road and also go back to Twenty - they have amazing rolls there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Cotts72

leahyl wrote: »
    Certainly not getting a good vibe about Masseytown here :pac: Really wanna try that place on Victoria Road and also go back to Twenty - they have amazing rolls there.

Hansum down at the marina market do a lovely chicken ciabatta aswell

Spideoige wrote: »
    ........... I don't imagine they will survive in the long term with those prices.

Yeah, not many if any of the Cork Insta fam (I almost cringe writing that) are prone to posting any #masseytown sandwich stuff either ........ that's almost a plus though IMO.

Folk complain about multinationals coining it but I don't see how local "public figures" selling overpriced made in China tat are any better....... lol, way off topic.

When I was walking past one day I had a look in the window, and from what I saw, well, lets say - their standards of food hygiene leave a lot to be desired!!! (and I am being polite by not describing what I saw :eek:) but it was enough to put me off EVER eating from there.. (the prices was my only issue till then).. shame - as the smell of cooked meats coming from the place is hmm.. but no.. no thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Hansum down at the marina market do a lovely chicken ciabatta aswell

Saw that on Instagram the other day - it looks lovely alright and the Marina Market is on my list of places to go....:)

• Advertisement

sporina wrote: »
    ............. their standards of food hygiene leave a lot to be desired!!! (and I am being polite by not describing what I saw :eek:)........

That's at least the second mention of stuff along those lines on here.

They must be doing ok to be rocking away at the €9 price point which is a 20% increase on the initial price........ and that's in a time when footfall in the city is reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Spideoige

When I was walking past one day I had a look in the window, and from what I saw, well, lets say - their standards of food hygiene leave a lot to be desired!!! (and I am being polite by not describing what I saw :eek:) but it was enough to put me off EVER eating from there.. (the prices was my only issue till then).. shame - as the smell of cooked meats coming from the place is hmm.. but no.. no thank you!

I think in some ways you've hit the nail on the head. There's been so many quick start ups looking to make easy money on the back of a trend and social media marketing campaign. It's unfair that this is sold as supporting local when these ventures are so often funded by the usual suspects who are only happy to get as much from the people of Cork in as short a time as possible.

Tried a new spot in the Marina Market called Poulet Vous as well. They do a take on KCs King Creole and I have to say it was very good. It was 8.50 which included a pitta and chips inside so while it is pricy I thought it was much better value than Masseytown and was better in flavour etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Once sit down lunch spots are open again, his prices will have to come down. I tried it a few times, the roll I got the first time was outstanding and €7.50, the next 2 were pathetic for €9.50, no care given to the consistency in the filling either.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Corkladddd!!

I think he's probably had a lot of success initially as like myself there were/are plenty out to try the new thing but a business like that will soon depend on repeat customers and I was distinctly underwhelmed and won't be returning. The quality just wasn't there for the price point; they need to fix one or the other but don't be complaining in 3 months when their crowd has deserted them if they don't...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Spideoige wrote: »
    I think in some ways you've hit the nail on the head. There's been so many quick start ups looking to make easy money on the back of a trend and social media marketing campaign. It's unfair that this is sold as supporting local when these ventures are so often funded by the usual suspects who are only happy to get as much from the people of Cork in as short a time as possible.

Tried a new spot in the Marina Market called Poulet Vous as well. They do a take on KCs King Creole and I have to say it was very good. It was 8.50 which included a pitta and chips inside so while it is pricy I thought it was much better value than Masseytown and was better in flavour etc.

Tried poulet yesterday, thought it was lovely!

The marina market selection at the moment is class

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Navy blue

Can anyone suggest somewhere for lunch on Monday that allows pre booking? I'm aware I've left it a bit late! I know some places with outdoor dining only allow walk ups. Around McCurtain St, OP Street would be ideal. Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭RINO87

Yep, the grub is savage down there!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I've actually never been to that area! Is it nice to walk around? Is there seating or somewhere nice outdoors to eat takeaway food?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I've actually never been to that area! Is it nice to walk around? Is there seating or somewhere nice outdoors to eat takeaway food?

been wondering about the exact same thing - was there at Xmas.. didn't seem like there was anywhere nice outside to sit and eat? and no indoor seating I assume now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fiload

been wondering about the exact same thing - was there at Xmas.. didn't seem like there was anywhere nice outside to sit and eat? and no indoor seating I assume now

Went there last Friday
    There's a lot of wooden benches/tables outside now. Had no problem finding one that was available, although that's always dependent on the crowd/weather. Enjoyed it loads myself!

Advertisement