Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Billythekid19

rob316 wrote: »
    Once sit down lunch spots are open again, his prices will have to come down. I tried it a few times, the roll I got the first time was outstanding and €7.50, the next 2 were pathetic for €9.50, no care given to the consistency in the filling either.

I found the roll in masseytown to be pleasant. Big problem is that is was no better than a supervalu roll i'd pay 4 or 5 euro for.

If you had a roll and coffee for lunch in masseytown you'd be paying 12.50. You wouldn't pay that in London!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Great to see all the places opening today for outdoor dining - all the Instagram stories - very exciting for them; looking forward to trying a few places over the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Great to see folks are mad to get into (outside) restaurants!
    Personally, I'll be waiting for things to settle down somewhat.

I hope you all enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

Princes street absolutely packed only thing its awkward to walk down there if you are not eating there with people waitng/servers in and out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Anyone know when Deep South will reopen? Its a shame not to have it when they have such a big outdoor space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

ofcork wrote: »
    Princes street absolutely packed only thing its awkward to walk down there if you are not eating there with people waitng/servers in and out too.

Yeah, I wonder if any of the non-restaurants & non-pubs have any misgivings.

But there was a great crowd, and great buzz on the street today. Not just Princes either, but each of the side-streets had tables out. If my eyes weren't deceiving me, there's even a new business open down Grafton St, which is the dingiest, darkest narrow alley in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

Does anyone know of somewhere conveniently located to Cork airport for an outdoor Sunday lunch? I have to fly next Sunday and will need to wait for my Covid test result before I travel. And to my knowledge there's no hospitality open in or around the actual airport? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

The Workshop is a gorgeous cafe near the airport. Should be open Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

The Princes St. umbrellas had their first big test today. Does anyone know whether they did the job or was it a bit of a washout? I see MM had a bite to eat under one earlier to help launch it.

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Anyone know when Deep South will reopen? Its a shame not to have it when they have such a big outdoor space.

probably my favorite bar in cork so I'm eagerly waiting their reopening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

In relation to Princes Street, does anyone know if one table can order from more than one restaurant? eg If I wanted Italian but my friend wanted Clancys? Or is each restaurant allocated a certain few tables?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I cant imagine they have it set up that way, you'd be relying on food coming out of different busy kitchens at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

In relation to Princes Street, does anyone know if one table can order from more than one restaurant? eg If I wanted Italian but my friend wanted Clancys? Or is each restaurant allocated a certain few tables?

That would be an absolute nightmare for each kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

rob316 wrote: »
    That would be an absolute nightmare for each kitchen.

and dishes would not be served at the same time which is not nice when out for a meal with folk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

Plus billing? Busing the dishes, taking orders.

Unpleasant for all concerned I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

InitialG wrote: »
    probably my favorite bar in cork so I'm eagerly waiting their reopening!

They haven't updated their social media since March 2020 and haven't reopened for any of the previous lifting of restrictions so I'm not sure what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Kerry25x wrote: »
    They haven't updated their social media since March 2020 and haven't reopened for any of the previous lifting of restrictions so I'm not sure what the story is.

Very unusual as they have the facilities to open up with quite a good headcount. Here's hoping they make a comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I've heard of people previously ordering food from one and drink from another (or claiming to have done so), but as above I can't imagine it being possible with food.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

who_me wrote: »
    I've heard of people previously ordering food from one and drink from another (or claiming to have done so), but as above I can't imagine it being possible with food.

Thats my understanding too, there seems to be a rough delineation of which tables are for which place i.e. Rossini's are on green mats, Quinlans are diagonally laid out, Oak Fire has black seats etc. I think there is good tolerance if, say, youre eating at Tedo but they dont do pints of Beamish you could get that from Clancy's. They seem to be cooperative and sound about it so would not want to see people abuse that and force them into setting lots of rules

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Very unusual as they have the facilities to open up with quite a good headcount. Here's hoping they make a comeback.

They are hiring at the moment, posted on their FB page yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭m*pp*t

Has anyone eaten at Jacques yet? It seems the one of the few places with online bookings available (but I don't think they've any shelter so it's a bit of a weather gamble) but there's no menu up online.

who_me wrote: »
    Yeah, I wonder if any of the non-restaurants & non-pubs have any misgivings.

But there was a great crowd, and great buzz on the street today. Not just Princes either, but each of the side-streets had tables out. If my eyes weren't deceiving me, there's even a new business open down Grafton St, which is the dingiest, darkest narrow alley in the city centre.

Clancys have grafton street as well bouncer at top of street today not a great place no sun although they have lights up,i see barbarossa are not allowing people into the english market have the space taken for tables!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Clancys have grafton street as well bouncer at top of street today not a great place no sun although they have lights up,i see barbarossa are not allowing people into the english market have the space taken for tables!

That entrance has been closed to the public since the start of the pandemic.

Didnt realise that thought it was open.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

See Metropole are advertising a 'Man Box' for Fathers Day weekend:
    https://www.themetropolehotel.ie/fathers-day-cork/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

That entrance has been closed to the public since the start of the pandemic.

It was closed last year, it's been open since at least March.

They are stopping people going in that way so,i see the place on grafton street is called conways yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Strange costigans haven't reopened, they have that side street closed off if they want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Clancys have grafton street as well bouncer at top of street today not a great place no sun

I passed it on Saturday while looking for somewhere to sit down. Looked desperate. Especially considering I have taken many a piss down there, and have seen human scutter dotted around the place.

Maybe it looks nicer at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Heading to Cork on Thursday and Friday. Where would be a nice restaurant to have a meal in on the Thursday? We stupidly booked an apartment so we have no hotel restaurant to fall back on throughout the two evenings :(

Advertisement