Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭mrpdap

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Heading to Cork on Thursday and Friday. Where would be a nice restaurant to have a meal in on the Thursday? We stupidly booked an apartment so we have no hotel restaurant to fall back on throughout the two evenings :(
    Orso
    Jacques
    Cafe Paradiso, vegetarian

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

Heading to Cork on Thursday and Friday. Where would be a nice restaurant to have a meal in on the Thursday? We stupidly booked an apartment so we have no hotel restaurant to fall back on throughout the two evenings :(

where are ye based? if the weather is nice ye could sit outside at Electric - nice along the river.. food would be grand I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Docklands is always nice too, not sure if they're just taking bookings or walk ins now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

We're staying in the city centre so walkable to most places. I checked electrics website earlier. Looked nice. Ended up booking Joules for Thursday then for Friday, we will try a new place called "conways yard" that was recommended here. In hoping to watch the England match there so I'd imagine if have to get there well before kick off (8pm) to get a seat bear a TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

I’ve never heard of either Joules or Conways yard.

Are you sure it was recommended here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

We're staying in the city centre so walkable to most places. I checked electrics website earlier. Looked nice. Ended up booking Joules for Thursday then for Friday, we will try a new place called "conways yard" that was recommended here. In hoping to watch the England match there so I'd imagine if have to get there well before kick off (8pm) to get a seat bear a TV.

Do you mean Jacques instead of Joules? I think Conways don't serve food?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Went to black rock castle last night. It was only my 2nd time going there, food was very good, couldnt fault it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Conway's yard is the lane down the side of the Grafton which has been bought by Clancy's. It's grim it's not called piss alley for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Billythekid19

rob316 wrote: »
    Conway's yard is the lane down the side of the Grafton which has been bought by Clancy's. It's grim it's not called piss alley for no reason.

Interesting spot to seat people to say the least in what was formerly know as pee lane/puke alley and there was a brothel uncovered there on a tv3 documentary from what I recall.

Interesting spot to seat people to say the least in what was formerly know as pee lane/puke alley and there was a brothel uncovered there on a tv3 documentary from what I recall.

Looks like they've done a fantastic job doing it up, the place was absolutely buzzing when I passed by on Sunday. I hope it does well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PreCocious

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Looks like they've done a fantastic job doing it up, the place was absolutely buzzing when I passed by on Sunday. I hope it does well.

It looks a lot better than it used to judging by this picture:

https://twitter.com/despod/status/1403711097107103749?s=19

Yeah I love what they've done with the overhead greenery. If they threw down a bit of artificial grass it would be even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

haha, yeah, more fake plastic trees needed!
    lol.
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

PreCocious wrote: »
    It looks a lot better than it used to judging by this picture:

https://twitter.com/despod/status/1403711097107103749?s=19

Maybe its just me but that doesnt look remotely enticing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Rfrip wrote: »
    Maybe its just me but that doesnt look remotely enticing

its not just you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Can anyone recommend anywhere around the city centre for a sit-out lunch? Looking for a 'meal' (i.e. not a sandwich, nor fast food) but somewhere that's reasonably quick so it can fit in an hour lunch-break. Thanks for any suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

What will happen to all this outdoor table service when pubs / restaurants are allowed to open fully again? How will that work? Any pub / restaurant workers here care to chime in?

Will they be able to handle a full crowd inside, and a full crowd outside?

Did anyone see chambers on Saturday? The outdoor seating was along Washington street, and snaking around the corner and all the way down that street too. Surely that will be gone when pubs open back up.

If you check conways instagram, you'll see that the laneway is only a tiny part of their actual premises. They have screens for the Euros too. I'm hoping to get a seat in that area. I won't be taking a seat down a pissy lane with no TV.

If I can't get a seat for the England game in conways, where would you guys recommend instead? Don't need anything fancy. Literally just a TV and a few cold pints.

If you check conways instagram, you'll see that the laneway is only a tiny part of their actual premises. They have screens for the Euros too. I'm hoping to get a seat in that area. I won't be taking a seat down a pissy lane with no TV

Ah I see, that looks very cool inside. The closest thing I've seen to a ruin bar

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

What will happen to all this outdoor table service when pubs / restaurants are allowed to open fully again? How will that work? Any pub / restaurant workers here care to chime in?

Will they be able to handle a full crowd inside, and a full crowd outside?

Did anyone see chambers on Saturday? The outdoor seating was along Washington street, and snaking around the corner and all the way down that street too. Surely that will be gone when pubs open back up.

I hope it does continue, I havent seen Cork looking so well in years, maybe ever. To me it is great for on street safety too, having a more sober constant presence rather than a few lads in a doorway necking a fag makes the city much more hospitable, and have heard the same from my mother in her 60s that she feels much safer around the city centre in the evenings now. With that said we do need to make sure rights of ways are not impeded or made impossible for wheelchairs and buggys etc.

• Advertisement

Ah I see, that looks very cool inside. The closest thing I've seen to a ruin bar

https://www.instagram.com/p/CP2yOkAJIG0/?utm_medium=copy_link

There's a link to a good example of what the premises looks like "inside" if anyone is interested in taking a look.

whats a ruin bar?
    bingo9999 wrote: »
    I hope it does continue, I havent seen Cork looking so well in years, maybe ever. To me it is great for on street safety too, having a more sober constant presence rather than a few lads in a doorway necking a fag makes the city much more hospitable

its nice for sure - but folk will still be in doorways, alleys, etc.. doing lord knows what.. ekk

sporina wrote: »
    whats a ruin bar?

They are all over Budapest, its basically a huge open air bar in an industrial setting with a load of mismatched furniture items, greenery, junk, trinkets etc

Really cool, this is the biggest one in Budapest, http://en.szimpla.hu/szimpla-garden

They are all over Budapest, its basically a huge open air bar in an industrial setting with a load of mismatched furniture items, greenery, junk, trinkets etc

Really cool, this is the biggest one in Budapest, http://en.szimpla.hu/szimpla-garden

Been to one in Budapest. You'd never know wtf you're going to see in the next room. They're such a cool experience. I bet we will see s few of them popping up in Ireland as they seem like a hipsters wet dream

Been to one in Budapest. You'd never know wtf you're going to see in the next room. They're such a cool experience. I bet we will see s few of them popping up in Ireland as they seem like a hipsters wet dream

Its probably my favorite city in the world, it really has everything.

I was there in the early 00's while inter-railing.. don't recall them.. we wer only there 1 night and we wer demented with tiredness.. I do rem going to an outdoor club though - that was really cool - and twas in the height of summer... awe to be young again..

Long overdue another trip there (or 1st one as a proper adult lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

sporina wrote: »
    whats a ruin bar?

its nice for sure - but folk will still be in doorways, alleys, etc.. doing lord knows what.. ekk

Oh absolutely, but at least on main thoroughfares you might feel like you have more overwatch with people sitting out and can take those routes. In the darker days of the pandemic but also the great recession I dont think there was any guarantee of feeling safe at 7-8pm on Oliver Plunket street/ Pana etc. I dont mean to make too much of it, just think its nice and has a moderating effect on the city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I've passed it the last couple of mornings. The menus on the boards outside & in the windows are gone, and the chairs are up on the tables. But nothing to say closed, closed.

An update on this - the menus are back in the menu boards and there is a sign in the window looking for staff & drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

What IS closing time of outdoor venues these days ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Went to Sage tonight, honestly I was underwhelmed.
    Ordered the dhal, it was not what I was expecting at all it was quite bland.
    Made a bad choice and should have known not to get something like that there.
    Friend had the hake and he said it was nice but it didnt look that great if I'm honest.

Starter and dessert was nice

Advertisement