Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

whatever76 wrote: »
    What IS closing time of outdoor venues these days ?

23:30 for now.

Other half went to Sophie's Restaurant in the Dean yesterday for a meal. Said she wouldn't be back in a hurry. Service was terrible and all the orders were wrong. Ordered avocado toast and it came out burnt and missing bits from the order along with the other orders at the table. Very expensive for both food and drink as well. Very disappointing to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Went to Jacques on Thursday.

The outdoor seating was the worst in the area. No barriers between us and the pedestrians so people were walking just inches from us. Every other restaurant in the area had barriers. The service was a bit odd and slow.

The food itself... We got a meat and cheese board. It was amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Anybody know where the hell this place is? "Taboosh Grill" in Wilton.

Tarboosh Grill
    085 211 1002
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/yEYmga4winy6B9jWA

Possibly a farmers market stall? However I'm not sure because one review says the "place is very clean".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

Tarboosh Grill
    085 211 1002

Possibly a farmers market stall? However I'm not sure because one review says the "place is very clean".

Description on Google says Wilton farmer's market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭what the hell!

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Went to Jacques on Thursday.

The outdoor seating was the worst in the area. No barriers between us and the pedestrians so people were walking just inches from us. Every other restaurant in the area had barriers. The service was a bit odd and slow.

The food itself... We got a meat and cheese board. It was amazing!

Yeah we were there on Thursday too. Very close to the pedestrians as you said. Service was pretty bad. Not sure if they were all newbies.
    Brought out the wrong orders first and then there was no bread with the meat and cheese boards. We should have asked but only said it when the server was collecting the finished boards. She said she didn't know if we were supposed to get bread but she could bring it out if we wanted it. But we were finished at that stage.
    Obviously nothing was passed on because the manager didn't even ask us if everything was ok when paying for the bill.
    Wouldn't be going back I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

InitialG wrote: »
    Other half went to Sophie's Restaurant in the Dean yesterday for a meal. Said she wouldn't be back in a hurry. Service was terrible and all the orders were wrong. Ordered avocado toast and it came out burnt and missing bits from the order along with the other orders at the table. Very expensive for both food and drink as well. Very disappointing to hear.
    Heard from someone in the know, that little to no previous staff were retained or brought back so it will take a while to find its legs again. Especially as it was so new to begin with.

We grabbed some lunch outside the imperial on Saturday , nice simple menu , quick service, pleasant staff , very happy with it. Walk ins only right now, so no booking the outside bistro tables.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Has anyone been to coqbull recently? Is the outside seating good? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

tried quay pizza at the weekend. was expecting a bit better since i heard they were/are part of velo, but wasnt anything amazing. a step up from dominos/4 star but a step down from la tana/ novecento. was pretty decent value though i will say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

We went to San Marco for pizza on Saturday evening based on a recommendation from a staff member in Trabolgan.
    Very underwhelmed, half of us got our mains, then 15 minutes later the rest of the mains came out, while other tables got theirs. My wife was one of those waiting but ended up getting a burnt pizza.
    If we return to Trabolgan, san marco won't be a place we will be visiting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I think we should be excusing the slow/bad service for the time being. Lots of places have new inexperienced staff or are understaffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Navy blue

Went for lunch in Soho last week. Seating was down the little alley to the right of the entrance, it’s not the nicest spot to have lunch, when the toilets flushed, there was a slight smell of sewerage. Service was incredibly slow, it wasn’t a big issue for us, but it could be an issue for those with only a one hour lunch break. Starter of wings was lovely, but the main was a bit blah, I had the Spanish fries as a side and they were so dry and congealed – like they had been under a heatlamp for ages. They were out of pasta and tomato sauce off the kids menu (not sure how you could run out of something like this at 1pm!) and the goujons they got instead were very dry and again, like they had been under a heatlamp. I felt it was expensive for what we got. Wouldn’t go back.

Went to Bella Napoli last weekend, really excellent. I had the lamb burger in their pizza bread, inhaled it, so good. Very quick service too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Tarboosh Grill
    085 211 1002

Definitely not part of the farmers market. I'm there often enough and have never seen them there. Their address on deliveroo is:

South Ring West Business Park, Unit 18, Tramore Rd, Ballyphehane, Cork

So, looks like Google Maps messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

are a lot of places not taking booking for lunch? have tried a few and walk-in only.. why so?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

sporina wrote: »
    are a lot of places not taking booking for lunch? have tried a few and walk-in only.. why so?

Probably a lot to do with all the gob****es booking and not turning up in the past

If you're going to pretty much fill up anyway. No point adding the extra hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

rob316 wrote: »
    Went to Bella Napoli last weekend, really excellent. I had the lamb burger in their pizza bread, inhaled it, so good. Very quick service too.

What's their seating arrangements? Many tables? Do you have to book? Any chance of a seat just walking up there mid week evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Better turnover of tables and much less hassle.

People don't show up for bookings.
    People show up late for bookings.
    People don't vacate tables when they agree to.
    People show up with less people than they booked for.

Basically, if you take bookings, your tables are empty for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Better turnover of tables and much less hassle.

People don't show up for bookings.
    People show up late for bookings.
    People don't vacate tables when they agree to.
    People show up with less people than they booked for.

Basically, if you take bookings, your tables are empty for longer.

100%, friends place also finds that people are a lot more likely to go for a walk in place than one that insists on bookings.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Walk-ins on Prince's Street on Saturday evening. You couldn't get a couple of pints anywhere, so Woman and I just braved the queue for Quinlan's. Lo and behold, in a touch of class you'd only get somewhere like that, they had a couple of staff serving drinks to the queue. So there I was with my pints of Murphy's, back to the wall on the pavement, King Of The Hill gone wrong. :pac:

After about an hour thus, the lobster was only divine and quite reasonable at a Euro an ounce, apparently there's a good lot of it about this Summer. The Portmagee crab bake starter is excellent as well.

• Advertisement

What's their seating arrangements? Many tables? Do you have to book? Any chance of a seat just walking up there mid week evening?

Got a walk in, we did a couple of laps of french church st and got a table there. About 15 tables? We went on a Friday evening so midweek should be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

jimgoose wrote: »
    Walk-ins on Prince's Street on Saturday evening. You couldn't get a couple of pints anywhere, so Woman and I just braved the queue for Quinlan's. Lo and behold, in a touch of class you'd only get somewhere like that, they had a couple of staff serving drinks to the queue. So there I was with my pints of Murphy's, back to the wall on the pavement, King Of The Hill gone wrong. :pac:

After about an hour thus, the lobster was only divine and quite reasonable at a Euro an ounce, apparently there's a good lot of it about this Summer. The Portmagee crab bake starter is excellent as well.

I really love seeing a review like this! Where and when you ate, what the experience was like and very importantly, what you ate! Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

We are heading to Cork this weekend, looking at the last few pages it seems walk ins are a possibility for getting somewhere Saturday evening, We'll be staying around the centre.
    Any suggestions??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

jimgoose wrote: »

Great review, Quinlans is one of the places I want to go to over the next few weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Anyone who has been out the last few weeks midweek, how is getting a spot for a pint after meal? Most places are walk in are they?

mikep wrote: »
    We are heading to Cork this weekend, looking at the last few pages it seems walk ins are a possibility for getting somewhere Saturday evening, We'll be staying around the centre.
    Any suggestions??

Head out early is my advice, like 6 o clock if thats not too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

Apparently secret garden in reardens are charging 15 euro deposit per person on booking non refundable!!

ofcork wrote: »
    Apparently secret garden in reardens are charging 15 euro deposit per person on booking non refundable!!

Ya they were absolutely hammered on FB last week, charging €50 on each table. I get they can get it and theirs a demand but thats wrong. There reasoning apparently is its just like a door charge pre Covid.
    Bigger fools paying it, but they'll have plenty of takers I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Anyone who has been out the last few weeks midweek, how is getting a spot for a pint after meal? Most places are walk in are they?

mate of mine walked around Sun eve for ages looking for somewhere to have a pint.. after an hr of failed attempts, he managed to get a seat in the fran well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

mate of mine walked around Sun eve for ages looking for somewhere to have a pint.. after an hr of failed attempts, he managed to get a seat in the fran well

Sound! Does anyone know of a place taking drinks bookings then that they would recommend?

Advertisement