Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Sound! Does anyone know of a place taking drinks bookings then that they would recommend?

I'm pretty sure drink is only walk ins. I'd stay away from the really busy spots like Oliver Plunkett and washington street. Try McCurtain St, North/South Main St,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

rob316 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure drink is only walk ins. I'd stay away from the really busy spots like Oliver Plunkett and washington street. Try McCurtain St, North/South Main St,

That's a bit of a balls really isn't it? Thanks though. Will give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Ya they were absolutely hammered on FB last week, charging €50 on each table.

Is that 50 taken off your final bill? Maybe I'm missing something but that's not too bad is it?

mikep wrote: »
    We are heading to Cork this weekend, looking at the last few pages it seems walk ins are a possibility for getting somewhere Saturday evening, We'll be staying around the centre.
    Any suggestions??

It's going to be some massive pain in the arse. I gave up last Saturday evening after an hour of walking around. Everywhere was packed. We got a few tins and went home to drink in the garden. We originally had a seat outside the Imperial, should have stayed there. But we went for a wander to find a more pubby / drinky environment. If you find a seat - DO NOT MOVE. Stay there all night.

I am not going to head into town for drinking until the pubs are fully open. I've heard even midweek can be very busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

The oliver plunket is split into two i think.
    Bookings and walk ins

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Well I just went in town for a few rolls from masseytown for me and the lads in the office. Absolutely phenomenal.

All rolls are €7.50 and they are a fine size with I'm happy to report full of meat. We halved up the rolls and all had a sample of each. Roast pork, roast ham and roast chicken. I thought the roast pork was the pick - crackling pork, mayo, red onion, peppers and chutney.

Well done to them, something really simple but different.

Where is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Where is that?

Paul street, where Brackens used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 BarleyPie

I haven't been into Cork recently, but I'll be there next weekend and want to book a table for a food and a few drinks. Any recommendations for places that are taking bookings and have good cover & heaters in case of bad weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

BarleyPie wrote: »
    I haven't been into Cork recently, but I'll be there next weekend and want to book a table for a food and a few drinks. Any recommendations for places that are taking bookings and have good cover & heaters in case of bad weather?

I have been looking and everywhere I checked is booked out.
    I'm taking the previous suggestion and heading out early hoping to get a walk in..

Where is that?

Is that an old post you're quoting? I thought the rolls were minium €9. For a roll. Have they reduced the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Is that an old post you're quoting? I thought the rolls were minium €9. For a roll. Have they reduced the price?

Yeah, they were originally cheaper, I think. Then they got cheeky!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

Where is that?

rob posted that a good few mths ago.. its a different story with that place now..

Is that 50 taken off your final bill? Maybe I'm missing something but that's not too bad is it?

It's going to be some massive pain in the arse. I gave up last Saturday evening after an hour of walking around. Everywhere was packed. We got a few tins and went home to drink in the garden. We originally had a seat outside the Imperial, should have stayed there. But we went for a wander to find a more pubby / drinky environment. If you find a seat - DO NOT MOVE. Stay there all night.

I am not going to head into town for drinking until the pubs are fully open. I've heard even midweek can be very busy.

No, you pay €50 for the use of the table, doesn't come off the bill.

EDIT: its actually €15 per head

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

No, you pay €50 for the use of the table, doesn't come off the bill.

EDIT: its actually €15 per head

So it's not a deposit.

If people are willing to pay for it, I don't see the issue.
    Don't want to pay? Don't go.

So it's not a deposit.

If people are willing to pay for it, I don't see the issue.
    Don't want to pay? Don't go.

I know, its an entrance fee.

Looking at reviews though people are been told it comes off the bill and told different when they get the bill.

I know, its an entrance fee.

Looking at reviews though people are been told it comes off the bill and told different when they get the bill.

yes, it was first mentioned as a deposit here.

What you mention above, certainly isn't reasonable and explains the fuss made about this. Although I suspect that some are up in arms just over the fact of a cover charge at all.

yes, it was first mentioned as a deposit here.

What you mention above, certainly isn't reasonable and explains the fuss made about this. Although I suspect that some are up in arms just over the fact of a cover charge at all.

There shouldn't be a charge though, its not like they are offering anywhere close to the same experience pre covid which I don't think was ever €15 a head either. It's a money grab plain and simple but that place isn't the same since Monty left and took the decent managers with him.

There shouldn't be a charge though, its not like they are offering anywhere close to the same experience pre covid which I don't think was ever €15 a head either. It's a money grab plain and simple but that place isn't the same since Monty left and took the decent managers with him.

Personally, I wouldn't be going if you paid me €15.
    But I still maintain that they are free to charge as the like and people are free to go or not. I don't see what people have to complain about providing they haven't been mislead.

The issue of misleading and false advertising, if true, is a whole other matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Went to The Elm Tree earlier, whole thing was a bit of a **** show

Had to wait in the rain to get our seats (we had a reservation)

Way too many tables in the marquee, some poor souls had to sit next to the opening and had the wind and the rain, was very packed and loud

15 minutes before we had our order taken and then another 20 minutes to get our drinks

Asked for water but never came

Constantly confusion by the waiters, they kept going up to tables with the wrong orders, very badly organised

More confusion with our bill as they didn't know our table number.

Food was nice enough (over priced like everywhere else) and staff were nice enough too.

I still left a tip though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

pity to hear that from the Elm Tree, under normal pre-pandemic times they ran a tight ship with constant awareness of queues and customer attention. I'm guessing they have lots of extra newly hired staff who are in need of some training/practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Surprised to hear that about the elm tree,I was there Monday and everything was perfect ,thought the outdoor setup was great! Then again weather was savage,wind and rain might have played a factor this time around and as mentioned I did see a lot of new staff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

ofcork wrote: »
    Apparently secret garden in reardens are charging 15 euro deposit per person on booking non refundable!!

Same thing in Tequilla Jacks if you want to sit in one of their plastic domes, €50 fee on top of your bill. There seems to be people in them every night but I don't see the attraction myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

pity to hear that from the Elm Tree, under normal pre-pandemic times they ran a tight ship with constant awareness of queues and customer attention. I'm guessing they have lots of extra newly hired staff who are in need of some training/practice.

Hmm. It was indeed a fine place back in the day, but in my experience it's been going downhill for the last ten or twelve years - it looks to me like he went too big.
    Kerry25x wrote: »
    Same thing in Tequilla Jacks if you want to sit in one of their plastic domes, €50 fee on top of your bill. There seems to be people in them every night but I don't see the attraction myself.

Aaaah for fuck sake, here we go. Good ol' Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

jimgoose wrote: »

Aaaah for fuck sake, here we go. Good ol' Ireland.

I think the reason we don't have outdoor dining here generally is becoming even more obvious. We don't have the climate for it, and the appropriate coverings cost an arm and a leg.

Let's just eat indoors, eh?

gee a lot of poor reviews on dining (outdoors) here so far.. going to lunch later.. will let ye know how we get on - hope the rain holds off grr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Some places seem a lot more organized than others. Seems to be a real mix of restaurants that are putting the effort into making the customer experience great and those that are just dishing out food.

I totally accept that there are a lot of new staff and it will take time, but hearing of a real divide in experience and a lot of the same names crop up which is sad.

I've eaten out probably six times so far in places that I'd use regularly and all have been good thankfully

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I hear that restaurants are charging a non-refundable booking fee?

EDIT: Oh, I should have read back a few posts!

Deep south is now open. Just walked past a queue outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Some places seem a lot more organized than others. Seems to be a real mix of restaurants that are putting the effort into making the customer experience great and those that are just dishing out food.

I totally accept that there are a lot of new staff and it will take time, but hearing of a real divide in experience and a lot of the same names crop up which is sad.

I've eaten out probably six times so far in places that I'd use regularly and all have been good thankfully

On the flip side to The Elm Tree, we were in John O'Sullivan's for Fathers Day and it was very well run. They use an app to order and it was very efficient and well organised. Very good staff too.

I can appreciate that it will take a while for everywhere to get up to speed but The Elm Tree was down to poor organisation more so than the staff

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Couldn't fault the service in Koto tonight. They were busy but the staff were on top of everything and food was top knotch as always.

• Advertisement

where have you been?

Had lunch in Dukes Carey's lane this avo and we both lovvvved our dishes.. staff wer great - nice atm - not too crazy - twas just like pre covid times really :D

Advertisement