Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Drdenise75 wrote: »
    Where would people recommend for a good Pad Thai???

Kubo in Douglas is really nice I've had it a few times, you can be waiting a while for delivery when it is busy, so I usually collect my order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Luap wrote: »
    Got Paddy The Farmers last week - the featherblade beef was melt in your mouth.

Would highly recommend.

Damn you... :P

I've been successfully avoiding ordering out all through this crisis, but checking the menu made my mouth water..

Click and Collect seems to be offline, will try by phone later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

As promised, back to report on Cask cook at home.

We really enjoyed it. We set up a video call with some friends, we all ordered the same thing and tried to cook it together. Tapas is more challenging to figure out than the other 2 or 3 course options that restaurants have alright. But that's by it's nature, tapas is making multiple dishes, 6 here. But that was still a bit of craic and a break from lockdown. The box was 40 euro for 2 people.

I've uploaded a photo of the box, as we got it, packed. And a photo of me figuring out what went with each dish by laying it all out on a carboard box! There was a coloured dot on each box to match up with the colour of their printed instructions.

All of it was delicious, and we were completely stuffed, I couldn't finish all of mine. The beef chimichanga and lamb kofkas were really meaty. The patatas bravas had loads of flavour with the garlic and tomato sauces, but not as spicy as I like personally. I just chucked extra hot sauce on those myself. Prawn stew wasn't overpowered by the chorizo and the rice was like a bonus paella. Monkfish croquettes were lovely and light, was a lime sauce with it.

The chocolate empanadas were gorgeous, although we had a to take a break for a while before we could even consider eating those! Coated in a cinnamon sugar, very crispy. Reminded me of churros... although inside out! Stuffed with melted chocolate on the inside. Yum. The mousse they came with wasn't needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Oh I didn’t know Cask were doing cook at home. I got (already cooked) takeaway from them last year. Really enjoyed it but even that was confusing enough :-)

Don’t know if I’d be able for all that malarkey. Nice idea though with the video call & everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭Be right back

Got the €20 meal deal from Ecos. Main course, dessert and a drink. Was quite tasty.

• Advertisement

I've attached a photo of the sandwiches from Sonny's for anyone who hasn't had them. Unfortunately you do have to book in advance at the moment, limited supply, sell out quite quickly.

Banh mi is the near one, that's roast pork, pickled carrot, cucumber, red chilli, coriander, spring onions, mayo, chicken liver pate.

Second one there is the Reuben. Cured beef, emmental, gherkins, dill, russian dressing.

There is a lot of eating in them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

pwurple wrote: »
    I've attached a photo of the sandwiches from Sonny's for anyone who hasn't had them. Unfortunately you do have to book in advance at the moment, limited supply, sell out quite quickly.

Banh mi is the near one, that's roast pork, pickled carrot, cucumber, red chilli, coriander, spring onions, mayo, chicken liver pate.

Second one there is the Reuben. Cured beef, emmental, gherkins, dill, russian dressing.

Best sandwiches in the city by a mile. Both of those are sensational. and reasonably priced for what you get.

We got 2 Banh mi's last week without pre-ordering (went down around 11:30 though). Maybe we just got lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

You were lucky! I was there the weekend before last at 12:30 & by the time I got to the top of the queue not only were all the Reubens gone but all the sandwiches.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

pwurple wrote: »

Thanks for this pwurple, sorted us today for lunch. Really really really loved Sonny's! Down home in Cork for work this week and I loved trying some new places for lunch and dinner. The Sonny's Reuben is unreal! Best sandwich seller in the city(ish)?

My old reliable Cafe Izz didn't let me down either. The falafel manoosheh! I will be dreaming about it for weeks.

My work colleagues insisted on going to Masseytown twice and while it tastes pretty good it is a strange set up. Both days we went the owner I'm assuming was far too interested in chatting to his friends while a chaotic queue formed. Not sure I'd rush back. I noted in another thread people were talking about the lack of prices. My brass-knecked colleague asked yesterday for a pricelist and was told there wasn't any...!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Yellow_Blue

Friends family got severe covid, stuck at home with 2 small kids with no car
    Anyone can suggest takeaway or ready made meals deliveries that are not hard on the stomach and suitable for kids 1-3 y.o in Dublin West?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Friends family got severe covid, stuck at home with 2 small kids with no car
    Anyone can suggest takeaway or ready made meals deliveries that are not hard on the stomach and suitable for kids 1-3 y.o in Dublin West?

You might have better luck in the relevant Dublin forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭PreCocious

Footoo wrote: »
    Best sandwiches in the city by a mile. Both of those are sensational. and reasonably priced for what you get.

We got 2 Banh mi's last week without pre-ordering (went down around 11:30 though). Maybe we just got lucky.

That was a stroke of luck - the Banh Mi usually sell out very quickly (even back in the pre Covid days).

I ordered online the week before last and got the Banh Mi (and reubens for the others) - hadn't had one for quite a while but they were as good as ever - bursting with taste and far from stingy with the fillings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

PreCocious wrote: »
    That was a stroke of luck - the Banh Mi usually sell out very quickly (even back in the pre Covid days).

I ordered online the week before last and got the Banh Mi (and reubens for the others) - hadn't had one for quite a while but they were as good as ever - bursting with taste and far from stingy with the fillings.

See I didn't even know they had an online ordering system.... Game changer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭sporina

PreCocious wrote: »

not really a sambo person but defo gonna keep an eye on their menu - see if they have a salad I would like,. have been there a few times in the past but only for coffee/cake to take out.. had a slice of a snickers type biscuit cake once - OMG it was divine.. (I just adore choc/nut combo)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

sporina wrote: »
    not really a sambo person but defo gonna keep an eye on their menu - see if they have a salad I would like,. have been there a few times in the past but only for coffee/cake to take out.. had a slice of a snickers type biscuit cake once - OMG it was divine.. (I just adore choc/nut combo)

There are also specials that change daily. The salad box looks good.

https://sonnysdelicork.clickandcollection.com/

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Nice one. Do you know if you can change the order by leaving messages in the order page?

Would love to order the Reuben without cheese (I know, people will likely say that's not a Reuben..) but don't want to order if they don't/can't customise the sandwiches.

who_me wrote: »
    Nice one. Do you know if you can change the order by leaving messages in the order page?

Would love to order the Reuben without cheese (I know, people will likely say that's not a Reuben..) but don't want to order if they don't/can't customise the sandwiches.

I don't know, I haven't used the service yet. I would suggest contacting them first. They are on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

just to mention arthur maynes back open with a bigger menu.

just had the coronation chicken for lunch so good.

one of the best lunch places in town imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

unplayable wrote: »
    just to mention arthur maynes back open with a bigger menu.

just had the coronation chicken for lunch so good.

one of the best lunch places in town imo.

I always loved the tapas in there, just that it was so hard to get a table. God, I'm speaking in past tense about the place....it's just been so long!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭sporina

igCorcaigh wrote: »

thanks yes I saw that on the menu alright - the salad on offer for tomorrow/fri wouldn't be my cuppa.. will keep an eye on their website though as I know the menu changes regularly

• Advertisement

sporina wrote: »
    thanks yes I saw that on the menu alright - the salad on offer for tomorrow/fri wouldn't be my cuppa.. will keep an eye on their website though as I know the menu changes regularly

They've recently moved from posting the specials on twitter, to just tweeting the link to the menu instead.

Which I think is poor marketing. Seeing the specials as you scroll through your timeline is far more inviting.

who_me wrote: »

Yes, there is a box for adding a message on the last page of the order form. I expect that's what it's for... dietary restrictions etc.

Thanks for the recommendations for Sonny's Deli. My God, those sandwiches are substantial.. just hefting them out of the bag and you know you've taken on a challenge. Very tasty; and staff very nice too.

Busy but fast-moving while I was there. Impressive given it's a little bit off the beaten track (though very convenient for me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Tried Uncle Petes for the first time, got a really disappointing lasagna with very very little meat in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Tried Uncle Petes for the first time, got a really disappointing lasagna with very very little meat in it.

Can't understand how Uncle Petes still exists. Had almost as bad a meal as Cornstore in there a while back and never returned. Horrendous place.

If you're getting Italian food, go to Da Mirco or one of the real Italian pizza places?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ballincollig Blow In

shawki wrote: »
    Genuine question, Has the cornstore improved/changed hands in recent years?

I thought it was very good last time I was there (July/August 2020). Food and service was great and they seemed to be taking the Covid precautions more seriously than a lot of other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bluepurple

I thought it was very good last time I was there (July/August 2020). Food and service was great and they seemed to be taking the Covid precautions more seriously than a lot of other places.

https://twitter.com/pierceocinneide/status/1327405991743414272?s=21

Doesn’t look that covid compliant to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

bluepurple wrote: »

I’ve seen people queueing closer together with less social distancing in Boots and Tesco’s.
    There was also little to no anti social behaviour reported at the time, there was a heavy Garda presence in town on those nights and most people just enjoyed a few quiet drinks with friends and were home early. I used to pass on my walks and never saw anyone falling around the place drunk or causing trouble.
    The Gardaí never intervened because people were behaving themselves.

I saw similar scenes with groups and families getting takeaway coffees and food in town just yesterday afternoon, sitting on the bollards chatting, but that doesn’t attract any vitriol and is considered socially acceptable (even though it’s also breaking the rules) because alcohol isn’t involved.

My only criticism would be that they did leave litter and rubbish after themselves, the establishments selling the takeaway drinks should have organised a proper clean up effort to sort out the mess left behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I live in the centre and that was simmering for weeks before it got out of hand. Gardai left that go on until it leaked all over social media and it was stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Ballincollig Blow In

Doesn’t look that covid compliant to me

I wasn’t aware of that, neither was I there at the precise moment when that was taken.

I can only comment on what I happened to observe when I was in there and that was no queues outside, the tables/booths all spaced out and properly cleaned and staff wearing their masks/visors.

Advertisement