Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

sporina wrote: »
    where have you been?

Had lunch in Dukes Carey's lane this avo and we both lovvvved our dishes.. staff wer great - nice atm - not too crazy - twas just like pre covid times really :D

Clancy's, Docklands, Market lane, Silver Key (local), Quinlan's

All regulars

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

notAMember wrote: »
    I think the reason we don't have outdoor dining here generally is becoming even more obvious. We don't have the climate for it, and the appropriate coverings cost an arm and a leg.

Let's just eat indoors, eh?

Was shown some pages before that Ireland weather is not worse than in other areas of Europe where there is outdoor dining thriving.
    Was in town two weeks ago and on a Thursday morning it was packed outside, even as it was drizzling. Sure there is a learning curve, especially as experienced restaurant staff is lacking. But I hope one good thing out of the pandemic is a bigger shift to make Cork city more out door friendly. Cannot count the occasions when in a pub at best weather and the only outside option was the smoking area.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Harika wrote: »
    Was shown some pages before that Ireland weather is not worse than in other areas of Europe where there is outdoor dining thriving.
    Was in town two weeks ago and on a Thursday morning it was packed outside, even as it was drizzling. Sure there is a learning curve, especially as experienced restaurant staff is lacking. But I hope one good thing out of the pandemic is a bigger shift to make Cork city more out door friendly. Cannot count the occasions when in a pub at best weather and the only outside option was the smoking area.

There's no reason we can't have it 4 or 5 months of the year, while it's not splitting the stones, it's rarely cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

Surprised gallaghers is not open?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Anything has to be better than the takeaway I just had from Dinos Douglas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

ofcork wrote: »
    Surprised gallaghers is not open?

They’re doing a refurb inside and prob not enough space for too many tables outside, better off leaving it till indoor dining allowed again.

Ate in Quinlans today and oh my God, it was divine - had tempura prawns, they were just gorgeous! Really is best place to go for fish in the city, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

leahyl wrote: »

Ate in Quinlans today and oh my God, it was divine - had tempura prawns, they were just gorgeous! Really is best place to go for fish in the city, in my opinion.

There's not a lot of competition for that accolade, really.
    I haven't been to Goldie's yet. I didn't enjoy Quinlan's at all when I was there but that's a few years ago, now.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭thefa

Went to Il Padrino yesterday. Have a nice set up there albeit a bit chilly without any sun hitting it. Arrived shortly after opening so got a seat right away. Sambuca prawns were a brilliant starter. Had Penne Pagliaci for mains which was probably erring on the cautious side but it was well done. Herself had lasagne pollo which was beautiful, rich and had a bed of mushroom sauce. Service was a bit slow (about 45 mins between starter and mains) but they had just opened up.

Went to the Silver key a couple of Mondays ago on a fine evening. Really nice set up between the terrace and the beer garden. Bit disappointed with my mains though (chili and lime prawn linguini). Felt like it had been reheated but flavor was pretty good. They have a cocktail menu which I never realized - €10 a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Spideoige

thefa wrote: »
    Went to Il Padrino yesterday. Have a nice set up there albeit a bit chilly without any sun hitting it. Arrived shortly after opening so got a seat right away. Sambuca prawns were a brilliant starter. Had Penne Pagliaci for mains which was probably erring on the cautious side but it was well done. Herself had lasagne pollo which was beautiful, rich and had a bed of mushroom sauce. Service was a bit slow (about 45 mins between starter and mains) but they had just opened up.

Went to the Silver key a couple of Mondays ago on a fine evening. Really nice set up between the terrace and the beer garden. Bit disappointed with my mains though (chili and lime prawn linguini). Felt like it had been reheated but flavor was pretty good. They have a cocktail menu which I never realized - €10 a go.

Also went to Il Padrino on Friday night. Starter and main course came out fairly quickly but we waited 40 minutes to ask for a dessert menu, and had to ask again and got a menu about 20 minutes later at which point we decided to just head away which was disappointing and no apology was offered from staff. There was a couple tables indoors occupied but I am not sure if this was some private function or otherwise. I would still return though, tasty food that suited my groups tastes. Hopefully places can reopen for indoor dining soon because the outdoor option doesn't seem to be going all that well for most businesses!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Pen Rua wrote: »
    An update on this - the menus are back in the menu boards and there is a sign in the window looking for staff & drivers.

The curious case of (Pope's Quay) Mirch Masala continues.

I got an ad on Instagram from mirchmasalie: Mirch Masala Indian Restaurant is registered under Delhi Gate Ltd. and we have shifted on 1st June '21 from [Pope's Quay] to our new location at [Clonakilty] & we do not have any branch and our website is... and phone number... The image also warns against people operating under very similar names.

The premises on Pope's Quay still has menu boards, tables, chairs etc and a notice in the window looking for staff. They had a piece of paper in the window saying collection was from the chipper next door, but I'm not sure if that's there anymore.

Very odd altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

Went to Bocelli's for lunch over the weekend. Service and food was really good, and the prices were very reasonable. The other Italian's off OP street charge about €4 or €5 more for the same meals. We'll definitely be back.

One good thing about the outdoor dining is you can get a proper look at the food as you're walking around. We're much more willing to try different places now as things jump out at us

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭neenam

Got a ramen takeaway from Camile Thai in Bishopstown earlier this week. I wasn't sure if they were only doing order & collect, but they let me walk in and order a takeaway there and then, great customer service, and the food was really good! Only thing is there's no option to eat outdoors, nor indoors obviously until indoor dining is allowed again. There are lots of dishes I'd love to try in their menu so will be visiting again.

https://www.camile.ie/location/bishopstown/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

neenam wrote: »
    Got a ramen takeaway from Camile Thai in Bishopstown earlier this week. I wasn't sure if they were only doing order & collect, but they let me walk in and order a takeaway there and then, great customer service, and the food was really good! Only thing is there's no option to eat outdoors, nor indoors obviously until indoor dining is allowed again. There are lots of dishes I'd love to try in their menu so will be visiting again.

https://www.camile.ie/location/bishopstown/

what are the portion sizes like? I got a meal from one of their Dublin branches a few yrs ago and thought it was v small - a lot smaller than other asian restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

what are the portion sizes like? I got a meal from one of their Dublin branches a few yrs ago and thought it was v small - a lot smaller than other asian restaurants.

Ya Camille Thai is a lot smaller. I usually get golden elephant and I would get two days out of the curry! Not with Camille T though!

whats the story with the above? is it that they have teamed up with the branch on Douglast St or have Novecento opened a branch in The Venue?

Never been to The Venue - would you recommend? fancy pizza and beer somewhere but with a large space so we won't have smoke blown in on top of us too much - The Rising Sons are v close (table wise)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

I found the Venue had a bit of a heavy drinking crowd sometimes, drunk / messy. But that was years ago, so that bunch might have moved on.

I like all of these pubs in the same area:
    Longboats (does food)
    Maple leaf
    Pier Head (chinese above it)
    Leaping salmon (does food)
    Blackrock Inn (does food)

The bar in the Rockies GAA club on church road is doing pizza.

I found the Venue had a bit of a heavy drinking crowd sometimes, drunk / messy. But that was years ago, so that bunch might have moved on.

I like all of these pubs in the same area:
    Longboats (does food)
    Maple leaf
    Pier Head (chinese above it)
    Leaping salmon (does food)
    Blackrock Inn (does food)

The bar in the Rockies GAA club on church road is doing pizza.

Pier Head has apparently been bought by the crowd that own Goldbergs

leahyl wrote: »
    Pier Head has apparently been bought by the crowd that own Goldbergs

Yes, that's true I think. It'll be done up I'd say. Leaping Salmon has owners in common there too, right?

Yes, that's true I think. It'll be done up I'd say. Leaping Salmon has owners in common there too, right?

Actually, yeah, you might be right there. So much could be done with Pier Head, so hopefully they'll do it up nicely without changing it's quirkiness at the same time - on the outside, I mean, haven't actually ever been in there - would be lovely to have lots of tables across the way during the week and on a Saturday when the market isn't on. Have a nice food menu etc. Lot of potential :)

It's actually lovely, if kinda old-school in there. Really nice staff.

I remember during the snow storm a few years ago, children were tobogganing down the slope there in front of the ursulines, and the parents were having coffee / hot whiskeys outside the pier head. Looked like a ski resort! :pac:

• Advertisement

It's actually lovely, if kinda old-school in there. Really nice staff.

I remember during the snow storm a few years ago, children were tobogganing down the slope there in front of the ursulines, and the parents were having coffee / hot whiskeys outside the pier head. Looked like a ski resort! :pac:

See! So much potential all year round :D

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

Rfrip wrote: »
    Ya Camille Thai is a lot smaller. I usually get golden elephant and I would get two days out of the curry! Not with Camille T though!

I generally find Golden Elephants takeaway portions to be quite small themselves so these portions must be tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Footoo wrote: »
    I generally find Golden Elephants takeaway portions to be quite small themselves so these portions must be tiny.

Oh god deffo avoid so! They are half the size!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭neenam

I found the portion size to be fine, it never crossed my mind that it was too small or too big, I found the ramen soup to be nice and filling and I was hungry.

The size of what I had is shown in the photo below, the one that the woman is eating from.
    https://www.facebook.com/CamileThaiIreland/photos/4026227137406499/
    Oh fyi the design on the boxes has been updated since the photo was taken. As for the likes of noodle boxes, etc. they all seem to be the same standard size as what you'd see in other places?

You can check out their social media platforms and see the size of the portions in the takeaway boxes for yourself
    https://www.instagram.com/camilethai/?hl=en

neenam wrote: »
    I found the portion size to be fine, it never crossed my mind that it was too small or too big, I found the ramen soup to be nice and filling and I was hungry.

The size of what I had is shown in the photo below, the one that the woman is eating from.
    https://www.facebook.com/CamileThaiIreland/photos/4026227137406499/
    Oh fyi the design on the boxes has been updated since the photo was taken. As for the likes of noodle boxes, etc. they all seem to be the same standard size as what you'd see in other places?

You can check out their social media platforms and see the size of the portions in the takeaway boxes for yourself
    https://www.instagram.com/camilethai/?hl=en

they are all tiny!!! :confused: no wonder I was still hungry afterwards and I am v petite :eek:

PS-no wonder the folk in the 1st pic don't look too happy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tried poulet vous in the marina market yesterday.

I thought the bao buns were excellent, if a little too sweet for my taste - would have liked a bit of tang and spice.
    Pricy for what you get at €10 but I'd probably have them again, regardless, if down there again.

Looking for recommendations for outdoor dining on a Tuesday? Anywhere with an interesting menu that they recommend? Doesn't have to be city centre either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

Looks like barbarossa have stopped blocking people going into the english market down the lane,amicus on paul street hace alot of tables out now makes it fairly narrow now.

Looks like barbarossa have stopped blocking people going into the english market down the lane,amicus on paul street hace alot of tables out now makes it fairly narrow now.

i've never been stopped going into TEM that way.. (always use it to go to the Ballycotton stall)

• Advertisement

Amicus is taking the piss with how far out their tables go, the city council used to be sticklers for the distance out tables could go when I worked in a restaurant on French Church Street but it seems that businesses can now do as they please.

Advertisement