Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Iyer's is just along the quay from Nala's and their food is really good, I think they might be closed for holidays next week going by their Facebook page, but worth checking out if they're open.

Myo is a cute cafe along there as well, I seem to remember them having some vegan options. A nice place for a coffee anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Anyone know whats happening with the Viaduct Inn? Seems to be closed all of the time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I was there last year, and found the food nice but a bit plain. Needed more zing.

But I might head back just for this: Makloubeh: A sort of upside down cake of lamb, rice and vegetables.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

I was there last night. Fecking delicious! We got the kofte grill and the Mashawy mixed grill. If you like your grilled meats defo give it a try. Portion size was big enough. Didn't have a starter and couldn't fit a dessert into us either.

There's a good variety on the menu like stews, falafels and vegan stuff. I need to go back and try them.

it's surprisingly not spicy but the flavours are still great. I would personally like a bit more heat. Perhaps Syrian food is just not spicy? They definitely use delicious herbs and spices but don't expect Indian style chilli flavors.

There's a big serving of Syrian bread not seen in these pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I, irrationally, hate the dried herbs that they sprinkle around the edges of the plates!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Yes I showed my friend the photo and he asked if the chef had parkinsons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

We had West Cork Burger Company the other night, delivered via Deliveroo so that would account for the tepid food we received. Food was fine, portions were fine but my bugbear was that we included special requests for the items order (no X, Y etc). All of which was ignored. It's not a big deal - we're not intolerant to any foods and it was a personal preference thing. But if you had a specific food allergy or vehement dislike, I wouldn't trust it.

We also got Holy Smokes, again via Deliveroo. Mrs Pen Rua got the crispy naked Korean fried chicken bites which was was happy out with (albeit we had assumed it was sauced, it was not but some BBQ was on the side), and I got a rack of ribs. The latter was a much larger portion than I anticipated. It was good quality meat and was tender but not fall off the bone. The fries travelled super well which is great for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭glog

In the last 12 months I've ordered for collection 3 times from West Cork Burger Co.

On each occasion the order was wrong, only discovered when home. The 3rd and last time, I had been given the complete wrong bag with someone else's order.

This was despite double checking and repeating my order and name with the 'server' when they handed me the order (wary from my previous experience).

The first 2 occasions they forgot sides, didn't add extras, didn't remove requests.

When I called up they were less than helpful on the phone. My point to them, during Takeaway only times, is that they have one job to do correctly - get the order right.

They failed to do that on every occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

i hope this post doesn't represent your view on the world? ekk

sounds fab @yogalady - gonna book a table for the near future

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Hadn't been to the Bodega for food in ages so met a few friends there for lunch today. I remember it used to be good but fairly nondescript now. Long time since I saw a slice of that highly processed orange cheese served on a burger. I'm sure I'll have a drink there in future but won't be bothering with their food again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Was in there before Covid - maybe 2018/2019 and it was the worst meal I had in a long time - I had eggs benedict and the hollandaise was laced in vinegar, it was just really, really bad....I think the Bodega needs a good overhaul cos it could be great - it's gone very run down I think....now, I haven't been in there since that time, so maybe it has changed aesthetically but clearly the food hasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

Good day Deli for brekkie over the weekend, that place is such a delicious treat. Poached eggs , haloumi and toast done right, yum.

I am completely confused by their local sourcing claims though. Hot chocolate, tea and coffee are all available, and apple juice. But not orange juice because oranges don’t grow here. Tea , coffee and chocolate don’t either though?

Pancakes can come with coconut creme fraiche or honey, but not lemon juice or maple syrup because I was told lemons and maple syrup aren’t Irish. But coconuts somehow are? Where do I get an Irish coconut?

I’m perfectly ok with places not stocking every option under the sun, that’s fine, it’s their restaurant. it’s just the logic of their justification is jarring.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭plhealy2000

Looking for a recommendation for dinner for daughters confirmation. It's midweek in October and lots of places not doing reservations or residents only in some hotels.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

Were at the Elm Tree for dinner:

The good : Starters were nice, homemade bread, got sparkling water served with lemon and strawberries. Wife's main was nice.

The bad: my burger was utterly bland. Sides were boring too. Totally unseasoned.

The ugly: not that I worry too much that there was no social distancing. Between ourselves and neighbors were 30 cm. No check-in of covid passes. But worse: when I complained about the bland main, waitress was very apologetic and went off. Last time we saw her, no further check if we want coffee, tea, dessert or pay. So after 10 minutes went to the bar and paid.

Are you city based? Where does she like, or what kind of food? Are there younger children also coming along, or are you looking for something more grown up.

Here are a few off the top of my head

Restaurants:

• Castle cafe in Blackrock castle is a nice setting and is open 7 days.
    • The Pink Elephant , kinsale direction, is a classic confirmation family meal destination. Lovely views, it's a nice spot. They are open Tuesday, not Wednesday or thursday though.
    • Blairs Inn, Blarney. Open on Thursday -> Sunday

Hotels:

• River Lee hotel does family bookings for non-residents. They have a nice terrace if the weather is good
    • Montenotte hotel, fantastic outdoor area, non-resident bookings.
    • Hayfield Manor, very accommodating, but quite fancy for children?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Anglers at Leemount another option.

Had another cracking meal in The Glass Curtain on Friday. Just went with the tasting menu again.

I really like this Restaurant. It's firmly in my top three restaurants in Cork. Paradiso and Ichigo Ichie being the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭longrunn

I've never liked Hamlet's or the Blue Haven in Kinsale but the mrs convinced me to go there with her on Sunday evening to try the new Street Food menu. Have to say, the prawn tacos were amazing and I'd get them again 10 times over. The real let down though was the crappy bland frozen chips. Overall it's worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

Any reports on Moody Cafe Vin ? Have friends coming to cork next month so thinking of trying it out.

Nice.

Ive got (fully vaxed) family travelling to stay with us in a few weeks, those are the exact three places I booked to show off Cork.

• Advertisement

That's some treat!

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Can boards extended family come too? 😁

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Speaking of Paradiso, I enjoyed some of their small plates last week, Highly recommended, and very good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

On Sunday last, we were looking for somewhere for coffee after morning Mass. Dukes was closed, Idaho was closed (and is so until the end of this month, per their notices on the board). We took a punt on Joe & Bro's on Oliver Plunkett Street and were not let down. Between the three of us we had: 3 hot drinks, a delicious brownie (with chunks of chocolate and plenty of hardened icing), a gourmet sausage roll & a toastie which came with their "tater tots." The total came in at just shy of €25.

It was a pleasant brunch. The staff were sound out - their card machine wasn't working when we arrived so they let us eat etc and pay when we left (they seem to usually take payment on order).

Their beef brisket sandwich was out of stock - almost want to go back just to try that.

Paradiso makes a lot of aspiring restaurants look very expensive and not very good, at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Spitjacks is my favourite brunch spot in the city but disappointing to see a significant jump in prices everytime I visit. From a very reasonable €7.50 pre-covid to €9 before Christmas to €12 now, my favourite brunch dish (French toast and bacon) has been getting more and more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭fulanoquetal

Was there last weekend. There were 4 of us and they gave us a table which really was too small...we managed but it was a squash. I found the food to be very tasty, pretty genuine and good value for money. I think we paid 94 for 4 people which included 3 pints of beer. The bread with the sharing platter is a bit sparse but other dishes also come with bread. I can see myself going back but it woiuld be a great improvement if they had a core menu and added a couple of weekly specials for variety. The crab and gambas al ajilo was particularly good as was the Chorizo in cider.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

I saw in the Marina Market this weekend that there will be a new Italian/Pasta vendor going into one of the new permanent stalls called Sicilian Delights. I see that they already have a presence in town. What can we expect here? Has anyone tried their cafe and is it nice? I have to say their food looks great on facebook/instagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ah really! That's the place on Magazine Road near UCC. It's very nice there and does very well. Just got a panini there last week with chicken, scamorza cheese, pesto mayo - a huge one for only 5.50 I think. I was only saying that it was surprising they hadn't opened anywhere else. Their coffee is very popular. They have lovely cannoli as well and pastries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought it was reopening, cars there a few times I passed but not many

The food never impressed me

Advertisement