Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

I actually took an Italian friend from Sicily here and he said its as good as any cafe in Sicily :) and from him thats high praise

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Went to Moodys tonight. The food was amazing, I really enjoyed it. We were a party of five and the table was a bit tight but the food was so good that I am willing to forgive this. Staff were extremely nice. Overall, a great experience and will definitely return.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

finally got to glass curtain , had the tasting menu. Probably the best food I’ve ever had. Least that’s my thoughts this morning anyway. Every single course was savage, and for a tasting menu, I thought the portion sizes were big enough. I remember being in mews in Baltimore and feeling it was canapés we had!!

the service was also amazing. It was such a lovely evening out. Couldn’t fault it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Went to Pigalle in Barrack St last Wed, excellent meal, choice of mains a bit on the small side, 1meat, 1fish, and 1 veg, but what was there was excellent. If the owner is reading this they might turn up the heating a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

I had Bocelli recently. Very poor. Tesco ready meals have tasted better and thats the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

I've been to Bocelli's a few times since re-opening and it was the nicest Italian food I've had in Cork. I'm thinking they must have two chefs, because everytime I ate was during lunchtime and it was really nice, but my OH went in the evening on a busy Saturday and said it was a massive drop off in quality. Does anyone know if this is the case? It would explain the mixed reviews (from 1/10 to 10/10) that I've heard about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

We may be having a small family event (minimum 11 people, maximum 15-17) and are thinking of arranging catering as opposed to booking a hotel room, meal there etc.

Any recommendations where to check out? I know Joe's & Bros do catering but minimum order is €100 and I'm unsure of their catering menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

check out Lishh Catering - not used their catering service but the food in their cafe is fab.. the best quality..

https://lishhcatering.ie/catering/

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

KCs have opened back up again. The ques the other night went all the way back to the entrance of the shopping center. Not a good look for the village imo

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Any recommendations for a city restaurant that is "not too noisy" that would suit older parents who wouldn't like an overly vibrant, bustling kind of vibe? They'd be relatively plain eaters but would find something to suit on most menus that aren't totally ethnic. We'd need to be able to book too. The restaurant at the Montenotte Hotel looks good but their website is still saying it's only open for resident bookings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

@Faith what about Greens?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I’m trying to pick somewhere for my mums bday in December and we went to the Strasbourg Goose a few years back and she enjoyed it there. It has great reviews too and wouldn’t be too noisy. My dad would be a plain enough eater but I think I remember him being happy enough when we went there. I’m gonna book it anyway :-)

Montenotte still isn’t open to non-residents which is strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

Isaacs? It's always good, I think. Always suits my parents who are plain type of eaters..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

@sammyjo90 thanks, I’d mentioned Greenes as a contender because it’s lovely. Wasn’t met with much enthusiasm but I may revisit!

@leahyl I’ve just never been able to get myself excited about the Strasbourg goose. I know people speak highly of it but it always strikes me as a bit too plain.

@Be right back ive always enjoyed Isaacs but I feel it could be a bit echo-y and noisy? I haven’t been there in years now but I’ll check it out again.

Thanks everyone!

oh gee I find it v noisy.. and i hate trying to eat/talk over noise..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

Just a note to say we tried Dwyers recently for lunch/brunch. They open at 12 on a saturday for it. The menu is sorely missing the full irish, but there are pancakes (a sharing platter for pancakes with loads of things like chocolate sauce, sprinkles, syrups , bacon), eggs, salads and the like.

The table we were at was good too, tucked away into a snug, and there seem to be loads of these snugs, which is all very covid friendly incidentally. Staff were lovely. no complaints from us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Recommendations for dinner on McCurtain street please , not Glass curtain or son of a bun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

8 of us had dinner in El Vino Douglas last night - a lovely night had.. food was good all round.. but no steak sandwich on menu - only other red meat offering was lasagna.. 2 had that as they wer v hungry.. I had a seared chicken salad... asked for dressing on the side but the dish came dressed.. kinda ruined my meal as it had mustard in it which I abhor (dressing was suppose to be balsamic vin & basil pesto).. I didn't say anything as my dish didn't arrive till about 5 mins after everyone else's so I just sucked it up.. but v nice place and service was mostly good - very reasonable.. good wine menu.. Heineken on tap was v good.. I would go back - but reiterate about the dressing on side just in case.. oh and all covid certs checked but didn't ask for ID

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

It shouldn’t come dressed , if you asked for it not dressed. Plus, mustard is one of the 14 recognised allergens that should be identified on food due to anaphylaxis risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

Some of you might remember the Barn restaurant in Mayfield-Glanmire. Straight out of the 80s, thick dark red curtains with lights and a selection of food your grandma would like, if they had it actually available.

Seems like during the lockdown Gordon Ramsey visited. They reopened recently and it is a completely different restaurant now. We went for brunch on Saturday, place was packed. All went well, great food and the interiors have been brought into this century.

https://www.thebarn.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

^^

Menu is hardly inspired, though.

Burgers, pizza, fish and chips and pasta ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

I agree, still a great burger would be straight out of the kitchen nightmare playbook ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Is Sonflour open yet? (Castle Street; Italian/Vegetarian). Would like to try it!

https://www.sonflour.ie/blog/november-2021-sonflour-opening-a-new-concept-of-hospitality

29th November according to Instagram. Haven’t heard of it until now!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Is there any restaurants in the city doing lunch deals now other than Luigi's and Thompson's?

Went to The Barn last week and really enjoyed it, dessert menu is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭CorkBoyInDub

Had dinner recently enough in Goldies and it was the nicest dinner I've had out in Cork.

Had their own beer and stout in there, which was quite nice too. Would recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Quay Co-op finally reopening the upstairs restaurant (booking only), but what has happened their pricing... €15 for dahl and rice??

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWoJPXZM6RW/

Advertisement