Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Hi - can folks recommend some good sit down/takeway coffee places in Cork please?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Debub wrote: »
    Hi - can folks recommend some good sit down/takeway coffee places in Cork please?

thanks

Not sure if you can sit down these days, but I think Soma is the best coffee in town. They are on Tuckey St and now also on Anglesea St.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Mardyke wrote: »
    Not sure if you can sit down these days, but I think Soma is the best coffee in town. They are on Tuckey St and now also on Anglesea St.

I see that Soma on Tuckey Street have been ordered to close for food safety reasons.

But good coffee. I also like 3 Fools nearby on Grand Parade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I see that Soma on Tuckey Street have been ordered to close for food safety reasons.

But good coffee. I also like 3 Fools nearby on Grand Parade.

Past tense needed here, also should provide some context & back up as stating they "have been ordered" to close could be damaging for their reputation.

They were ordered to close temporarily in early Feb, and reopened the next day.

A mouse had made its way on premises through a pipe. The owner says the HSE were understanding.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40240043.html
    https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/temporary-soma-coffee-closure-ordered-19850259

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Past tense needed here, also should provide some context & back up as stating they "have been ordered" to close could be damaging for their reputation.

They were ordered to close temporarily in early Feb, and reopened the next day.

A mouse had made its way on premises through a pipe. The owner says the HSE were understanding.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40240043.html
    https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/temporary-soma-coffee-closure-ordered-19850259

Thank you for the correction, I had thought it was a very recent event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Thank you for the correction, I had thought it was a very recent event.

I think the Food Safety Authority released their report for Feb today, so the articles came out today but the events happened in Feb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭siblers

What's Joes+Bros like for burgers? Bit pricey for what they offer. Are their tater tots nice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Tried Koto at the weekend, was delicious. Have been eating takeaway during lockdown (and can't cook Thai) so it was my first Thai in over a year; so I might not have been the most impartial of judges! Tasty cheesecake for dessert too (though portion was fairly small). Definitely trying again at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Any nice restaurants doing takeaway today?
    A lot of them seem to be weekends only.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭PreCocious

bluepurple wrote: »

Strange that guy calling out that behaviour and posting tweet upon tweet about how people are right to go out and gather even closer together along with the fascists and protest lockdown and immigrants and transgender people and whatever is on the national party's current hit list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭EnzoScifo

PreCocious wrote: »
    Strange that guy calling out that behaviour and posting tweet upon tweet about how people are right to go out and gather even closer together along with the fascists and protest lockdown and immigrants and transgender people and whatever is on the national party's current hit list.

The guy is a far-right troll. Wouldn't pay heed to anything he says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Got a takeaway from Sober Lane at the weekend. Great deal - 2 mains, 2 desserts and (most important! :p) 4 cocktails for €50. Everything was very tasty. Will definitely be getting it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Got the bistro in the box from Suttons in Rochestown park hotel over the weekend . Little bit expensive but a nice treat, well organised and food was tasty. Will try it again in a month i think and i got a €10 voucher for signing up to their online mailing list for it.

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Any nice restaurants doing takeaway today?
    A lot of them seem to be weekends only.

Ended up with Arthur Maynes. Very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Ended up with Arthur Maynes. Very nice.

What did you get?

pwurple wrote: »
    What did you get?

https://www.corkheritagepubs.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Take-Away-A3-2021-ALL-DAY-updated.jpg

Cubano Ciabatta
    Bifana Portuguese Ciabatta
    Arancini
    Langos with Shredded Pork
    Empanadas

Edit: That was between 3 people & it was a good amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭sporina

anyone had takeaway from Osaka on Paul Street? thinking of getting something this weekend.. but not had food from there since they changed the name (not sure why places do it - think its had 2 name changes to date)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Got a takeaway from Sober Lane at the weekend. Great deal - 2 mains, 2 desserts and (most important! :p) 4 cocktails for €50. Everything was very tasty. Will definitely be getting it again.

That sounds unreal value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

sporina wrote: »
    anyone had takeaway from Osaka on Paul Street? thinking of getting something this weekend.. but not had food from there since they changed the name (not sure why places do it - think its had 2 name changes to date)

Not directly but afaik it's the same people who run Soba and I was a big fan of the food from there before pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

we have spoken about it a lot but the hot chicken and stuffing with mayo roll from masseytown is INSANELY good. even better than spitjacks one which i thought i would never say.

lunctime rota currently is below for the 4 days i am.

masseytown
    arthur maynes
    sandwich stall english market
    cameron bakery

• Advertisement

Not directly but afaik it's the same people who run Soba and I was a big fan of the food from there before pandemic.

sorry "not directly" what?

Yeah they use to have a Malaysian dish I loved - its not on the menu now but lots of other yummy stuff..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭Harika

Got sandwiches from Massey town. Wife not happy that skin was still on the chicken breast. More samples for me so :) good sandwiches but for 8 euros? Don't think atm you can say that the boom is back.
    Desserts were good, too sweet for my taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,172 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

unplayable wrote: »
    we have spoken about it a lot but the hot chicken and stuffing with mayo roll from masseytown is INSANELY good. even better than spitjacks one which i thought i would never say.

lunctime rota currently is below for the 4 days i am.

masseytown
    arthur maynes
    sandwich stall english market
    cameron bakery

As you are at arthur maynes you should add Orso's chicken schwarma flatbread into the rota!
    I had said it several times in the old thread but I love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Apologies if someone already asked this but are Sonny’s deli available for walk in takeaways or do you have to order online the day before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Apologies if someone already asked this but are Sonny’s deli available for walk in takeaways or do you have to order online the day before?

Pretty sure you can just walk up. There's a queue to the main door for walk-in and a separate small hatch on Albert St. for click 'n' collect. Selection might be more limited though if just walking up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

Just had a bizarre experience at O'Briens food truck in Carrigrohane. Ordered and paid online at 18:30, the app said it would be ready at 18:45. Arrived and was told that the order didnt come though and we would have to place it again. I should have just walked away at that point but I had paid in advance. Waited outside in the freezing cold for 45 minutes as there was no indication of when the order would be ready. The person I dealt with was pretty unapproachable and was shouting at the other staff and at customers down the phone and I was afraid to sit in the car incase I missed it. The place was total chaos, three people who walked up after me and ordered got their food before me. The queuing system was non existent and quite unsafe with cars at the pumps getting blocked by people standing waiting for food. When we got back with the order, the pizza was undercooked inedible sludge and went straight in the bin. The chips were seriously undercooked and could only be salvaged by another ten minutes of cooking in the airfryer. I ordered fish gougons and was given chicken gougons and my partners burger was also wrong. An experience I will never repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Samhain wrote: »
    Just had a bizarre experience at O'Briens food truck. Ordered and paid online at 18:30, the app said it would be ready at 18:45. Arrived and was told that the order didnt come though and we would have to place it again. I should have just walked away at that point but I had paid in advance. Waited outside in the freezing cold for 45 minutes as there was no indication of when the order would be ready. The person I dealt with was pretty unapproachable and was shouting at the other staff and at customers down the phone and I was afraid to sit in the car incase I missed it. The place was total chaos, three people who walked up after me and ordered got their food before me. The queuing system was non existent and quite unsafe with cars at the pumps getting blocked by people standing waiting for food. When we got back with the order, the pizza was undercooked inedible sludge and went straight in the bin. The chips were seriously undercooked and could only be salvaged by another ten minutes of cooking in the airfryer. I ordered fish gougons and was given chicken gougons and my partners burger was also wrong. An experience I will never repeat.

Where is this? Carigrohane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

fin12 wrote: »
    Where is this? Carigrohane?

Yes, clarified in the original post now

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Went for Eat Street recently, an order for two. Unfortunately it was a poor experience!

Firstly they left one burger out completely... Only discovered that when I got home! They also left out all the dips that I chose with the chips.

The one burger we got was quite good, but the chips were only OK. They are the massive cut potato type chips but too big I thought. Way too much salt on them also.

Had a takeaway from O Reillys Food Truck also. Agree with the comments above, that it's a bit of a disappointment. The staff seem like they fancy themselves a bit too much! Then hanging around waiting for a late order on a forecourt isn't the best.

Food was OK.

• Advertisement

Samhain wrote: »
    Just had a bizarre experience at O'Briens food truck in Carrigrohane. Ordered and paid online at 18:30, the app said it would be ready at 18:45. Arrived and was told that the order didnt come though and we would have to place it again. I should have just walked away at that point but I had paid in advance. Waited outside in the freezing cold for 45 minutes as there was no indication of when the order would be ready. The person I dealt with was pretty unapproachable and was shouting at the other staff and at customers down the phone and I was afraid to sit in the car incase I missed it. The place was total chaos, three people who walked up after me and ordered got their food before me. The queuing system was non existent and quite unsafe with cars at the pumps getting blocked by people standing waiting for food. When we got back with the order, the pizza was undercooked inedible sludge and went straight in the bin. The chips were seriously undercooked and could only be salvaged by another ten minutes of cooking in the airfryer. I ordered fish gougons and was given chicken gougons and my partners burger was also wrong. An experience I will never repeat.

oh thats v disappointing.. have only ever had good experiences from there.. you should give them a call.. see what they can say.. I always try to give a service the chance to put things right...
    Mardyke wrote: »
    Went for Eat Street recently, an order for two. Unfortunately it was a poor experience!

Firstly they left one burger out completely... Only discovered that when I got home! They also left out all the dips that I chose with the chips.

The one burger we got was quite good, but the chips were only OK. They are the massive cut potato type chips but too big I thought. Way too much salt on them also.

Had a takeaway from O Reillys Food Truck also. Agree with the comments above, that it's a bit of a disappointment. The staff seem like they fancy themselves a bit too much! Then hanging around waiting for a late order on a forecourt isn't the best.

Food was OK.

Same for you Mardyke re: EatStreet

Advertisement