Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Would love to try Nell's @Drdenise75. Are the plates a decent size? Would one or two (for around €9 each) be enough per person? Probably best for sharing though, yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

not cork city but county - had lunch in Hannah's in Fermoy today - OMG - twas unreal - wish I had 10 stomachs lol

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Duvet Day

I love that place and so reasonable , the shop attached is excellent also, great for takeaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Drdenise75

Plates were not very big. Having said that, two per person would be enough for most people I think. But for a big appetite might not be enough. So then maybe 5 plates between 2 hungry people. They bring them as they're ready. The bread (a good sourdough focaccia) is a very generous size for a bit of filler!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Heading down to cork this weekend, booked Scoozis Friday night as it was recommended a few times before and the Spitjack Saturday night. Looking forward to both. Going to blackrock castle for lunch on the Saturday and stopping in the elm tree on the way home Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Cancel Scoozis its muck honestly, anyone that recommended can't be serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Well, it is what it is.

Chicken wings, burgers, pizza etc.

Where would anyone else recommend so instead of scoozi?? Getting a table would be hard at this stage. Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

Market Lane - fool proof - and something for everyone - same owners as Blackrock castle cafe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Seconded the non-recommendation of Scoozi's. It is standard fare, and in my opinion there are better in Cork.

Seconded the recommendation of Market Lane. It is very good, always packed and has good in-house brewed beer to boot.

• Advertisement

Plenty of other places do fantastic pizza wings, burgers etc nothing wrong with those but Scoozis is awful.

Market Lane never ever disappoints, my favourite spot. Its very reasonable too for the quality of food

Hi guys I actually booked liberty grill. Tried market lane but nothing available until after 9 which is too late for us after a long drive. Thanks for all the help.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Liberty Grill is one of my faves. Staff are great in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I've never been to LG but has to be better than Scoozi.

To be fair, I think Scoozi was recommended for a family dinner, with kids, which it does deliver on. I agree, you get better food elsewhere, but Scoozi is a a place where a child having a tantrum wouldn't be really heard,it's got a loud atmosphere, fast food in a restaurant setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Echo this sentiment on the staff. Food was great but the friendliness of the staff elevated the experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

Ah Just saw on Facebook Pilgrims in Rosscarbery closing up

It's with heavy heart we wish to inform everybody that Pilgrims restaurant will be closing its doors on the 2nd April.

After 8 years in beautiful Rosscarbery and a 2nd bundle of joy joining our family in the coming weeks we have decided it's time for a change.

It's a decision we have not made lightly, we've so enjoyed our time here over the years, we love the building and Rosscarbery, getting to know our regulars, the locals, our suppliers and all our staff members over the years. Many of whom are now our friends. We are very sad to let it go. Pilgrims has tried to be a sustainable business from the beginning supporting local not corporates but now it's time to make life sustainable for us rearing a small family.

But never fear after taking a pause, we will be back. We're not leaving hospitality and plans are afoot for the next chapter.

Many thanks and love to all xx

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Leaves me with a heavy heat, too - I have a €200 voucher that I never got around to using due, mostly, to, Covid!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Whats your connection with this "upmarket" establishment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭airy fairy

And the upmarket establishment is so upmarket that I recently became aware someone I know, a young waitress, was given a 10 minutes break after 6 hours of work, during a 10 hour shift, below minimum pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Anybody been to Cork and Fork yet? Reviews look great but just wondering if anybody has any other opinions before we take a chance on it!

So Friday night we went to liberty grill, really nice atmosphere there, it was full, but not loud or crowded. I had wings to start followed by the Californian club burger and chips and I have say it was gorgeous. Herself had the fish special which was pan roasted cod and she is still talking about it.

Post edited by barneygumble99 on

Saturday we went out to the Blackrock observatory and had lunch there, both of us got a BLT sandwich which was massive and really tasty, shared a portion of sweet potato wedges which were quite greasy. Could’ve done without them given the size of the sandwiches. Both had a cappuccino which were quite small tbh. Food was good though.

Went to The Spitjack Saturday night. Seats seem to divided by screens like they were in all places during covid. I didn’t mind it though as the seats are very close so you get that privacy. We had a sharing board of seafood to start which had prawns, calamari, fish cake and sourdough bread. It was a nice sized portion, I love calamari and herself loves fish cakes.

We both had the rotisserie chicken for mains and I can honestly say it was the best chicken I’ve ever eaten, there was plenty of it too. The Lyonnaise potato I thought was a bit bland but the chicken jus and carrots were divine. Overall the food was a solid 8.5/10, we will definitely go back next time. Bill was close to €80 with drinks but really good value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I have one comment....how the fck do you eat that burger from liberty grill..is that really just half an avocado plonked on top? 😂

It’s only half an avocado, I actually gave it a bit of a mash and put it on the bun. There was also a small dish of sauce which you can see at the back of the plate. I’m not sure what it was but tasted good on the burger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

I wonder were we sitting beside each other! I was also in spitjacks, I can recommend the hake with samphire, and the porchetta.

The wine list is a bit light is my minor comment. and for corporate it’s unfortunate they don’t take Amex cards.

Advertisement