Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I have not been, but are they the same restaurant as Comix on Maylor Street? Is it a rebrand?

Polish place; meat and fish etc. with potato and salads. Looks like nice decent fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

I had the same thought when last in LG - when I saw the burgers.. "how does one eat it?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

The heavy advertising and what looks like paid reviews put me off tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Not sure! They look like they have dishes from different countries that they heavily mention on their menu. I do think it used to be comix, looking at the address.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PreCocious

Looking at Cork and Fork's website and it's strange to see somewhere with breakfast that's dearer than the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

So, two recent food experiences in Cork. Liberty Grill at the weekend - amazing eggs benedict as always, and then got dessert which I normally don't but had a voucher. Delicious!

Last week, got sandwich from Natural Foods Bakery in Fitzgeralds Park for lunch and it was so good - chicken pesto and just tasted so fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Cork and Fork don't do breakfast on their website.

Nice pics there Leahyl.

Looking for somewhere to eat tomorrow, and thinking about Four Liars in Shandon.

Is the actual menu a bit bigger than what is mentioned on their website?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

4 of us had brunch at The Bakestone Carrigtwohill yday - twas fabbb.. esp the service.. the place was full when we got there and there was also a massive queue.. we joined the queue - got to order 30 mins later (worth waiting for).. fair play to the staff.. smooth operation.. not an easy feat with such a demand.. all our dishes arrived at the same time and we wanted for nothing.. dishes were all fab.. we then shared 2 deserts among us.. delish.. good value for money imo.. a great place to have food with friends/family.. we wer there 3 hrs.. won't be long till we're back

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yes.

Don't know why it's like that but if you click "order online", the full menu comes up.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Decided to give the Barn a second chance and our experience this time round was much better.

No feck ups with the orders and the food was brought out on time,Great meal and will be back.

I'm going to Spitjack this evening. Might get either the rotisserie chicken or the porchetta. That seafood starter looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

I’d definitely recommend both, although the seafood platter is for sharing so bring a friend. Chicken was fantastic though I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PreCocious

I must have misread the part headed "Breakfast" which describes two breakfast offerings.

( €11.20 for a full Irish + tea/coffee in the airport, amazingly)

You'll hand out €22 for a poor breakfast in the River Lee, used to be good.

I'm back from Spitjack, and I would give it a 5/10.

Nothing about it was either great nor bad. Seemed like a fairly standard roast chicken dinner to me. But then again, this isn't my type of food; I tend to go for bolder flavours.

The starter was Pork Belly & Black Pudding in a pastry. Sounded better from the menu than it tasted or looked. I would have gone for the seafood platter had the partner wanted the same.

The main, a rotisserie chicken. It was soft, but didn't have the texture and flavour of a proper free range chicken, at least not to me (sorry to differ @barneygumble99 😉). The ham croquette that it came with had a nice flavour; the potatoes, a little bland.

€28 for the 2 course early bird deal.

Not sure if free range a thing ATM. Think they are all kept indoors because of bird flu, might explain it. Now organic would be a whole different ball game and price point.

The first ingredient that should be in mashed potato is butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Maybe my standards are a bit lower 😊 I did say alright the potatoes were a bit bland. I will be back to cork for one night soon enough so hopefully try somewhere else, maybe market lane or goldie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Whats everybody's opinion on Sultan restaurant? Wasn't impressed when i went recently.

I got the chicken shawarma. The chicken tasted and looked exactly like the rubber sliced chicken you get on domino's pizza. Or a packet of chicken slices you buy in Tesco for your sandwich. Plate was lukewarm. Honestly the chicken shawarma meat in Istanbul kebab at 2am is better quality.

I sampled other folks meals and nothing really tasted like it was fresh off the grill. Not sure how they managed that. Seemed pre-cooked and reheated and dry. Very pricey for what you get.

Four Liars is 10 times better quality and similar food. You can really taste the freshness of the food there. Meat is still steaming from the grill and juicy when you get it. I guess they've spoiled me and upped the game for grilled meats in town.

Post edited by JackieChang on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

What does everyone think of Prince's Street now? It's been nearly two years since they opened it up for on street dining.

Personally, I don't like the umbrellas they put up at all. I think they make it look incredibly dark and uninviting, and they don't even work that well as you get dripped on if you're sitting anywhere near the edge of one. I really loved it the first summer, but I do concede that the weather obviously helped a lot.

I wonder if they have any other ideas to improve the area, or maybe this is just me and the businesses are doing well with the current set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Dbu

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Palador is great. The service, the food, everything….my new favourite place in cork.

Café Paradiso.

6 course set menu for €65

Sublime. They just keep on getting better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hoping to finally get to Cafe Paradiso myself this year - never been, can you believe it! I always hear good things about it.

You must go!

It's one of the few "fine dining" places in Cork City, and that it's vegetarian I think adds something more special.

But it's no frills, very casual. You can rock in wearing anything, no problem. And given the quality of the food, and the amount of preparation, it's decent enough value.

Excellent wine too, if you like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I also really like how the wine is priced. You actually get better value as you spend more on wine - unlike most restaurants where it's the opposite.

We had this one. On the house as we know one of the staff!

You know Macroom never reared a fool. Those plates look fabulous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Advertisement