Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Marcellos in Douglas was decent enough.. It's been a while since I've been so it may have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

This is like dragging an Irish person through the Irish pubs in Florence.

Please don't do it, just bring them to good local restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Went to ferrit and lee in midleton a few weeks back , they'd just done up the restaurant - a few days later it was underwater, so expect it to be a bit different again when re-opened,

I really like ferit and lee - the menu is alway a bit similar, which my girlfriend isnt thrilled about , but its consistently good -

Getting a little pricey ,but everywhere is now ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I disagree.

You cannot compare irish pubs abroad who are not even owned/run by irish people by ((what is meant to be) an authentic italian restaurant owned by italians.

If an italian goes to da mirco and says its fantastic then you know people who say they find it bland/boring just dont get what italians appreciate as food.

If he finds it **** its probably cause its been adapted to what majority of irish people think italian is.. Drenched in sauce and cheese. (What he gotnin scoozies)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Da Mirco seems to really divide opinions! I haven't been.

Like others here, I just don't see the attraction with most Italian restaurant food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Iguarantee

I agree RE Italian food never being outstanding, that's my assessment too.

The best Italian I've been to was in Budapest and I've had better Italian pizza in Spain & France than I've ever had in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

Maybe it's just the italian people I know then... or maybe it's the standard of utterly utterly crap irish bars I've been brought to by well meaning locals. :D

I've yet to meet a single italian person who enjoys being brought to an italian restaurant outside their own country, anywhere. It's far most expensive in Ireland than in italy which just sets any place up for disappointment. It's also jarring for them to see dishes from various regions of Italy all on the same menu. The menu structure is nothing like how it works there.. we generally have the 3 course thing, but their menu structure is different and pasta dishes as main courses are downright weird for native italians. The pasta is usually a small portion, a primi (like a starter)...

In Ireland, the italian places, tend to be slightly hammed-up themed places, like scoozis, sadly catering to the crowd who clamour for "value", meaning huge troughs of pasta, you're right, bloody drowned in the sauce.

I certainly wouldn't be bringing an Indian person on a tour of Cork's Indian restaurants, so I'm not sure why you'd do it to an Italian person.

Also, I wouldn't assume that just because someone is Italian, it makes them an expert in Italian food. Some people from anywhere just have poor taste and little genuine knowledge about food. They can't all be experts.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Not suggesting you bring your Italian visitor to any of these but the only decent Italian restaurants I've found in Cork are da Mirco, Sicilian Delights (cheap and cheerful bowls of pasta), Gallo & Galletti in Wilton (location and menu don't look promising but it's surprisingly good). Also Sonflour is quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Picked up a few of the par baked pizzas from sano at the weekend. 5 euro is insane value for the quality. Before and after. It'll never be as good as the in house cooked one but still very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Thanks for reporting back to the thread on this - was very curious. I know Bradely's stock Saturday Pizzas, but they're creeping up in price and the last time we got them I wasn't overly thrilled with the end product.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Miles better than Saturdays. Tesco is €5.79 for the Saturdays, Dunnes do a good flash frozen pizza too but Sona definitely better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Im not bringing anyone on a tour of all the italian restaurants.

You all make it sound like im going to drag someone there against their will.

I asked specificallly about the ONE restaurant in this whole city that looks like it might be authentic. Thats it. Because I was asked how is it so bad after they were brought to scoozies. So I said da mirco is probably the most authentic, you might try there! And asked here to see if i was right.

I also wouldnt be bringing indians to all the restaurants here. The only one ive seen anyone who looks like they might be from that region eat in is Thali, so why wouldnt i suggest they try that if they were looking for something similar to home?

If I'm asked for what I think I will tell them.🤷‍♀️ lets just leave it there

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

I would say da Mirco is the closest food to what I've had in Italy, but the vibe in Sicilian Delights is like a bar in Italy, no frills, Italian radio in the background, busy with people coming and going. Definitely worth a visit for at least a coffee and a pastry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Aroi in Carrigaline closing, food was really nice in there but it was always very quiet and the place was huge. Even with take away, I guess it wasn't getting enough business

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I met a few people for lunch in Sano yesterday, pizza was ok but nothing that would make me rush back there. Good value for sure. Novecento is still by far my favourite in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Loyal Lady

I had a gorgeous main in Jacques last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I love Jacques…my second fave in cork after pigalle

Care to tell us what you had and what was so good about it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

That's where my company's Christmas party will be. The food is of decent quality, if not particularly exciting for me.

Lovely space though. It used to be a Turkish spa/baths I think?

EDIT: I was thinking of Jacob's on the mall, duh! Thanks @Be right back

Post edited by igCorcaigh on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

Yes. Damn, I got them confused! I meant Jacob's, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Loyal Lady

The Cauliflower Steak vegetarian option. It tasted far better than it sounds

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

Wasnt jacobs a cinema at one stage the assembly rooms.

I think that was further up, on the same side of South Mall. I think that building might have also housed a Turkish baths.

Is Pigalle still good these days? I've never been but would like to. Have heard mixed reviews. (I'm not into high end anything, just tasty and adventurous food...).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

oh 100 percent…I’ve never had a bad meal there and I go maybe every three months or so? Has it all, service is great and menu changes all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Had a family meal in jacobs a couple of months back , aaannnndddd wasnt impressed , six of us eating , nothing bad about anything - just a bit flat , the one dish that shone was the beef feather blade ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Chicken kebab from Amigo's (why the apostrophe?).

It's a hard no from me, unfortunately.

The chicken looked and tasted weird. It all tasted of nothing. I asked for extra chilli sauce, what is served along here tasted more like some kind of ketchup, not even spicy (for me anyway). Why is the rice red? It didn't taste of anything... the chips were nice enough.

• Advertisement

Someone mentioned that Izz Café was gone very expensive.

They weren't joking. €14.50 for a falafel wrap! Even a bowl of hummus is €10. 50. I sat down, looked at the menu and decided to leave. I couldn't bring myself to pay that money for that food. I wish them all the best.

Advertisement