Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

It’s grand but overrated. The last time we got a takeaway from there I felt it was just average.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I didn't post a negative, more an observation of getting an incorrect order. I noted the food and price was still good value. And no, I didn't say it to them, because the combo meal comes on one platter. (3 mains, rice etc on one plate). If I was to complain, the other two dishes would've been wasted also. Obviously, ordinarily, I would've sent an incorrect meal back, but it made little sense to waste 3 mains.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

would highly rate golden elephant…my go to but ya their delivery changed there a few months ago and it’s just Douglas area thereabouts only now.

it’s a lovely restaurant to go to instead of takeaway and the service is great

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Thanks! I much prefer the sit down experience...

I have never ordered a takeaway to my home, but living in the city centre, I don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Hawkeye123

The Examiner on Saturday frontpage headlines were about all the restaurant closures. The restaurant owners were saying it was because their costs had gone up so much, so probably higher than the official inflation numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Yeah, inflation is the consumer price index. Business is a different thing I suppose, but I'm not sure how that is measured.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

restaurant owners have out-moaned publicans lately. They benefited on the lower VAT rate for a long time and suddenly after Christmas they start the whinging again. All types of businesses are suffering due to increased costs etc. I feel some restaurants were price gouging too, not all but some.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Well, if restraunts are actually closing, it shows it's not just empty moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

The Soho replacement, 77. Has anyone been in and had food?

Seems like the same crowd who run dwyers maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

my point is, they might be closing due to badly run businesses or just not being good enough. They might be using the high rates as an excuse and want more help from the Government (tax payer) because they are accustomed to it by now. It's too simplistic to just cite high rates etc as the reason for closure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

Love these armchair experts that show up telling everyone else their business is badly run. What's your business's name so we can use your model as a template? You should run a seminar or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Cash flow is the biggest issue for nearly any business now, I know all too well. An industry like hospitality that uses alot of minimum wage workers will definitely be feeling the pinch with the latest rise, approx €1.70 per hour including PRSI and entitlements.

How much more can you pass onto the customer before they say enough and no one is spending money?

Bottom line though anyone who isn't a good operator or has a good strong business isn't going to survive the current climate. Nash 19 a surprise but I'm not that surprised by White Rabbit and Tung Sing.

Blaming the increase in the VAT rate isn't valid though, it's such a small difference it shouldn't be the difference between closing your doors and trading.As an operator your problems lie elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Iguarantee

You can call in, phone them or use their app (G-Thai).

The app and the bizarre wording and disclaimers therein don't do the place justice, in my view. The app works fine though, once you know what you want it’s very easy to use and pay and clearly tells you when you can pick up the order

The food is good, service is a bit overbearing at times when sitting in (think Artie Bucco from The Sopranos).

Their fried curry paste dishes are absolutely superb.

Takeaway for two adults & 2 kids is about €60 which is good value (usually 2x mains, 2x rice, 2x starters, 2x kids portions, 1x prawn crackers).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭aidanodr

@rob316 Seems the RAI and Adrian Cummings are out of the blocks already with a special 5 point plan for this perceived special sector ..

Im sure many other SMEs would like to be able to reduce VAT to 9% ( I would say most SMEs have to charge the 23% ) and have a phased pay off of warehoused VAT over 10 years

"bespoke support package"

That should be dealt with on a case by case basis not more blanket hand outs. If it's a solid business and is experiencing cash flow problems or other mitigating circumstances it merits assistance.

As regards the VAT rate, that is a reduction for the consumer, there is no sure way to know the reduction is passed on so it should be a non starter.

Proof is in the pudding. The restaurants are closing.

I`d take the CPI with a pinch of salt and an expectation of indigestion. Bon appetit.

I run my own business, I’d gladly accept a VAT reduction, temporary or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I do wonder if there's more than meets the eye with the Nash 19 closure. While her statement blames rising costs it also mentions the appointment of liquidators almost in passing - who called them in and why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Likely she did that herself. Presume it's a co, so shields her personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Dbu

Quite shocked at this one, thought it was going well..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Unless she has personal guarantees on credit. It's not easy to get credit these days without personal guarantees.

A pal of mine lost his house and almost lost his mother's house when his business went into liquidation. Personal guarantees!

Somehow, though, I expect Ms. Nash will come out of it just fine! Perhaps not her creditors, staff or Revenue, unfortunately.

I was in there on a Saturday night in Q1 2023 and they had no Coca Cola (of any type), no non-alcoholic beer and the 7 staff behind the bar were chatting to the extent that I was waiting at the bar for service, despite there being circa 20 people in the place.

High prices and shite service was my lasting impression.

Ernest Cantillon is a decent guy from the few times I’ve met him. I hope the (competent) staff land on their feet.

He's a lovely fella, bit of a serial entreprenuer though and I'd imagine got bored of Electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭airy fairy

It's been going downhill for a while. Only opened on a Thurs-Sun over the last few months. Was there before the summer, very drab and cold appearance.

Sounds like poor management then (disinterest even).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭aidanodr

It seems to be in the main pubs and restaurants at the moment, but dont forget other small businesses of all kinds supply goods and services to this sector, thats a worry, if this spreads further than the hospitality sector

This could exacerbate further the hospitality biz closures.

"Higher costs for holidays, higher mortgage and rent costs, and higher food prices are behind the inflation figures."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

Scary times. And all those inflation increases are cumulative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PreCocious

It's interesting (or maybe I'm thinking too much) that a lot of the column inches are being given to the darlings of the Cork restaurant trade. We never hear much about the Market Lane group who seem to be doing ok and rarely come out asking for subsidies or cheap labour. There was no mass flagellation when the doughnut craze ended or the Asian food places ran out of steam , maybe that's because they weren't run by the great and good of the city who'd been to the right schools and members of the right golf clubs.

Advertisement