Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,032 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Where's the best shout for Indian food in the city? Preferably where we can order via Just Eat to use up a One4All voucher.

We've had Mirch Masalla (Popes Quay) before. The first time was very good, but delivery was exceptionally long. The second time was only ok, so we're looking for somewhere else.

Thali (its Neaplese but will satisfy your indian cravings) its outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I like spice inn on north Main Street

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭sporina

Where's the best shout for Indian food in the city? Preferably where we can order via Just Eat to use up a One4All voucher.

We've had Mirch Masalla (Popes Quay) before. The first time was very good, but delivery was exceptionally long. The second time was only ok, so we're looking for somewhere else.

Does it have to be city centre? Raj Gaylord in Kerrypike is great - as is Haveli in Douglas.. After that I'd say Thali - sorry Fin, we stopped using The Spice Inn - terrible on the last 2 occasions..

sporina wrote: »
    Does it have to be city centre? Raj Gaylord in Kerrypike is great - as is Haveli in Douglas.. After that I'd say Thali - sorry Fin, we stopped using The Spice Inn - terrible on the last 2 occasions..

What are the portions like in Raj Gaylord ? I thought they were quiet small but haven’t been there now in ages

Is Thali on popes quay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

sporina wrote: »

I probably should have qualified it more - city centre and / or delivery to city.

Thali seems to be popular.

I looked it up. They operated from the premises Mirch Masalla used? I gather they're on Maylor St now. Google Maps has a photo of some coffee shop there, guess it's outdated.

• Advertisement

I probably should have qualified it more - city centre and / or delivery to city.

Thali seems to be popular.

I looked it up. They operated from the premises Mirch Masalla used? I gather they're on Maylor St now. Google Maps has a photo of some coffee shop there, guess it's outdated.

Yep it was Popes Quay, Thali is now in the old Banna Thai unit which was after that a coffee shop!

Mirch Masla was very poor I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭RINO87

Thali is great, really miss going there! Lots of interesting flavour combinations going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭sporina

fin12 wrote: »
    What are the portions like in Raj Gaylord ? I thought they were quiet small but haven’t been there now in ages

Is Thali on popes quay ?

I find them more than enough - can never finish a whole one.. and what with rice and naan etc... always stuffed..

No Thali has moved to Maylor St

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

There's also Iyer's if that's your kind of thing (vegetarian).
    Not sure about them accepting the One4All voucher though.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

+1 for Thali and Haveli. Mirch masala started out promising but was absolutely rank the second time. Never again. There is an Indian stall in Wilton market on a Tuesday that is excellent. Only a couple of dishes each day but very good quality and a huge portion for 8 euro. Lovely guy running it, he normally throws in something for free like a Dosa or similar starter dish. He is in Kinsale on a Wednesday and Midleton on Saturday. Can't remember the full name...spice of life or something similar?

• Advertisement

Samhain wrote: »
    +1 for Thali and Haveli. Mirch masala started out promising but was absolutely rank the second time. Never again. There is an Indian stall in Wilton market on a Tuesday that is excellent. Only a couple of dishes each day but very good quality and a huge portion for 8 euro. Lovely guy running it, he normally throws in something for free like a Dosa or similar starter dish. He is in Kinsale on a Wednesday and Midleton on Saturday. Can't remember the full name...spice of life or something similar?

Nice one I'm working near wilton, never think of going to the market for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    There's also Iyer's if that's your kind of thing (vegetarian).
    Not sure about them accepting the One4All voucher though.

I'm a huge fan of Iyer's but I'd be wary of recommending it to someone looking for an Indian take-away. While the flavours are certainly Indian, the format is very different to your typical Irish Indian restaurant food.

Their meal for one feeds two of us but some items are more generous than others. Love it, but it's not for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

I'm a huge fan of Iyer's but I'd be wary of recommending it to someone looking for an Indian take-away. While the flavours are certainly Indian, the format is very different to your typical Irish Indian restaurant food.

Their meal for one feeds two of us but some items are more generous than others. Love it, but it's not for everyone.

Another one here for Iyers.

If you want the best "tasting" Indian go to Iyers. The quality of the food and how it's cooked should outweigh the fact there's no meat.

If you can't get past the no meat option there's really only Gaylords imo.

Cork badly needs more decent Indians.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

limnam wrote: »
    Cork badly needs more decent Indians.

Fully agree (and decent Mexican food too is sorely lacking).

But, I guess people have different ideas of what "Indian" food should mean.
    Some just want a nice chicken curry and rice, which I love myself.

So obviously Iyer's is not for everyone, but it's great to have that style of food in a sea of bland chicken curry offerings.

Anyone get a takeaway from the Tradehouse in Ballincollig?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Samhain wrote: »

Spice Genie. Sound bunch of lads and great food. Highly recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

I couldn't recommenced Spice Inn enough. Very flavorsome and reasonably priced. Spice Of India is top notch too.. Haveli seems too awkward so I never bothered to order from them. They should get on Just Eat or something

BruteStock wrote: »
    I couldn't recommenced Spice Inn enough. Very flavorsome and reasonably priced. Spice Of India is top notch too.. Haveli seems too awkward so I never bothered to order from them. They should get on Just Eat or something

Spice inn on north Main Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

We went for Thali on the basis of the recommendations here.

Unfortunately, Mrs Pen Rua was not overly impressed and as she is the pregnant one, that's the end of that :pac:

Overall, I did enjoy it. Delivery was fine via Just Eat (it used a Just Eat driver, as opposed to their own). For once, the main course price was inclusive of rice or naan, which made the €15 more palatable. However, we had 6 (decent) pieces of chicken in the portion which didn't seem like great value. That said, the sauce was good quality. So maybe that's where the cost went. I also got chicken pakora. €6.90 for 3 pieces? Hm.

The Gaylord place mentioned doesn't delivery, it seems, and I have no means to access it. So the search continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

...Haveli seems too awkward so I never bothered to order from them. They should get on Just Eat or something

I seem to remember they used to say they'd run out to the car for you so you didn't need to find parking but no idea if they do that these days. I agree they should be on the likes of just eat though, haven't ordered from them in years which is a shame as they're very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Anyone get a takeaway from the Tradehouse in Ballincollig?

Regularly. I had the Chicken Supreme and hubby had the Korma tonight. Both were very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

I've never had Ichigo Ichie but always wanted to try. Is it worth getting the takeaway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Yeah , they make a great curry in there. The owner is sound too.

Regularly. I had the Chicken Supreme and hubby had the Korma tonight. Both were very tasty.

Hey ,thanks got takeaway tonight and food was lovely and cocktails so nice and lovely detail on bottle, will be ordering again.

Yeah , they make a great curry in there. The owner is sound too.

Ya I really like the place aswell, I love the chicken tikka masala and my friend loves the veg biryani, have to visit again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Heard from someone recently that it's not a great place. Apart from forgetting the rice from the delivery (!!) the curry was very average.

There's plenty of better Indian restaurants.

I heard about a new pizza place in Cloughduv... Must try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Mardyke wrote: »
    Heard from someone recently that it's not a great place. Apart from forgetting the rice from the delivery (!!) the curry was very average.

There's plenty of better Indian restaurants.

I heard about a new pizza place in Cloughduv... Must try it.

That's the curly stu guy I'd say? He was coming up to the city centre on a Saturday last year too and then stopped. I asked him the other day if he was coming back to the city again and he said he would be in a few weeks. The pizzas look unreal and I know of someone who had them and said they taste every bit as good as they look.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Billythekid19

Got dinos in douglas at the weekend. Second bad experience in the last year. The portion size of curry chips wouldnt have been enough to feed a child, a miserable scoop of chips.
    Went to the dinos in kinsale last year and the cheese and onion pie was stone frozen in the middle.
    Will stick to the reliable jackie lennoxs next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Billythekid19

leahyl wrote: »
    That's the curly stu guy I'd say? He was coming up to the city centre on a Saturday last year too and then stopped. I asked him the other day if he was coming back to the city again and he said he would be in a few weeks. The pizzas look unreal and I know of someone who had them and said they taste every bit as good as they look.

Interesting choice of location. Other than people travelling that back road to avoid checkpoints during lockdown there isnt a whole lot of passing trade on the road to Cloughduv. Isnt the local shop now closed due to lack of footfall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Well, I finally tried masseytown.
    Had the pork one.
    Bread very good - choice of white, brown or sourdough loaf.
    The meat was tasty and cooked well.
    Nice condiments and filings.
    Generously filled.
    Friendly service (perhaps over friendly).

I very much enjoyed it but I still do wonder at the price.

Advertisement