Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Blarney castle hotel, christys, EatinIt now called Amore. Avoid Muskerry its terrible. A little bit further out from Blarney is Blairs Inn, very good.

the Chinese in the village Lantern House, is excellent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I met a friend for lunch at Leas (in the UCC Glucksman) yesterday. That was my second visit & top notch again. Think I'll definitely be back to try some of the other stuff on the menu. Very busy spot so I'd recommend booking if you want to go. There should be outdoor seating once the Summer arrived (assuming it does sometime).

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Drdenise75

Paradiso friday night. Flawless. Love this place and always enjoy the meal but I think the current tasting menu is their best yet. Lots of interesting wines (natural, biodynamic almost all) and great service as always. Highly recommended!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Where in Cork City centre for a decent and affordable lasagne?

+1 if it comes with chips and coleslaw, which rules out most Italian restaurants (I really miss that Italian on the Eastern side of OP Street)! I'm looking for old school.

(and not Rossini, the lasagne I had there was an over microwaved disaster)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Sicilian Delights. But you ain't getting coleslaw and chips with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

dunno but what about Luigi's? Tony's Bistro? places like that?

Yeah, I guess! I haven't tried either tbh! Didn't even know that Tony's did lasagne! 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

They do with fries and salad - about 15 quid but tasty

Ichigo!

I'm not great at food reviews, but this was amazing. I particularly loved the tofu starter, and overall it looks very well priced.

I will be back to try the extensive daily specials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Was in St Luke’s Wine Tavern last night and it was nothing short of exceptional - from the food to the service to the atmosphere, everything was amazing. The tapas were the best I have ever had, we ordered plenty (!) and there wasn’t one thing I didn’t like! It was all such good value too! Can’t wait to go back.

Well, thank you of reminding me about that place! It's been years since I've been, and it was only OK then. Might pop up for some tapas and a pint in Henchy's soon. 👍️

Oh, and it would be a nice opportunity to have a look in at O'Keeffe's shop too!

As 14A was really busy (the place makes me claustrophobic at the best of times), I headed to Tony's for breakfast instead, my first time there. And very busy it was too.

It was.… grand? I dunno. Pretty bad, actually. I was expecting better for some reason.

Not the finest quality ingredients, and not the cheapest either. No. 5 from the menu. The €15 includes filter coffee and toast.

I don't know why they put the (not fresh) mushrooms in the ramekin rather than the plentiful beans. Maybe it makes the plate look bigger? The pudding was overcooked and dry.

No sign of the advertised relish, but a little plastic tub of strawberry jam.

Quay Co-op.

Well, this is a much better breakfast than Tony's.

Smokey potatoes with quinoa salad and vegetarian sausage roll. €14 including coffee.

Post edited by igCorcaigh on

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭scrotist

Is it just me or does none of that look tasty? Looks like Chinese poverty food from the 1800s. What's the 4th pic? Looks extremely greasy.

That's tofu. I agree that the photos don't like great, I guess that's it's not a very photogenic type of food. But the flavour was outstanding.

The tofu looks like a big ball of slime, but it actually collapses in the mouth. Like eating a cloud.

It wasn't greasy at all, that sheen you see in the photo was something attached to the tofu. Very stretchy and quite gelatinous, interesting. I'd love to know what exactly it is, if anyone knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

finally ate in cafe paradiso…always dying to go and I know it’s a firm favourite with some of you here

I do love a tasting menu, however I didn’t like two of the dishes here, down to my own taste of course, nothing to do with the restaurant, so I’d have enjoyed it much more if it was a la carte. One dish was up there with one of the nicest I’ve ever had.

It was a warm evening but it was uncomfortably warm in there, would they not have air con? Interesting to hear people’s views on this one but there was a couple beside us who had their shoes off, with their bare feet out. Honestly found this disgusting. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Did their feet smell? If not, I don't understand the issue. They're just feet. People expose their feet in sandals all the time. While I do find it slightly odd to take off your shoes in a restaurant, I really don't get the, "disgusting" bit, they're just feet.

Was on a train in France some years ago (in winter) when a young woman came into our compartment and took her shoes off. The problem was that her feet stank to high heaven. Really stank. Now, that was disgusting.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

Taking your shoes off and being barefoot in a restaurant is not acceptable in my eyes. We are not at the beach.

You made that clear in your original post and asked for people's thoughts. I gave my thoughts.

If they had socks on, would you have found it acceptable?

What about people wearing sandals with no socks? Acceptable? Acceptable for women but not men?

These are genuine questions. I'm really curious as to what the big deal is about clean, exposed feet.

• Advertisement

I just said it there, I don’t think it’s acceptable to be barefoot in a restaurant. I’ve never seen it before. I cannot understand going out for dinner and taking off your shoes.

What about sandals?

Really, you asked for people's thoughts on this but rather than answer any questions, you just keep reiterating the same thing. Why did you ask for opinions on this?

(we know you don't find it acceptable, you said so in your first post about it)

Honestly, I'd be way, way more upset about people smelling strongly of scented products in a restaurant (or anywhere, really) because that really affects my enjoyment of the space and my food.

One can just choose not to look under other dinner's tables at their feet. I can't avoid strong scents.

Interestingly, it is very much frowned upon to wear perfume in better restaurants in Japan. I'd like the same custom here.

I think it’s it’s disgusting…you shouldnt take off your shoes and go barefoot in a restaurant. Wearing sandles and taking your shoes off and going barefoot are not the same thing and you know it.
    I asked for thoughts, you don’t agree…just leave it.

yeah I can definatly understand that and why it would affect a meal, for sure

Please don't try to police my posts. I don't need to "leave it" because you are upset that I don't agree with you.

I'm sorry but I don't see a big difference between wearing sandals and being barefoot. Your feet are exposed in both scenarios. Agreed, they are not the same thing but there are common elements.

So, just to be clear... Do you think it's OK to take your shoes off in a restaurant, or not ? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest, but I'm easygoing I guess.

Which two dishes didn't suit you, was it just the ingredients or something else? @Rfrip

• Advertisement

i hate when my feet are hot, but I would prob not take my shoes off in a restaurant.. time and place and all that

Advertisement