Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options
1636465666769»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

True! And Fellini sells itself as a bit fancy… those little details bother me too.

What you eat and drink from is important to the whole experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Any recommendations for decent grub around the Metropole, preferably within walking distance?

In addition, and maybe its not the correct thread, but any recommendations of any lively pubs nearby too (preferably with live music). Better off going to the Patrick's street area?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Fabio

There's loads of stuff going on around the Metropole - plenty of good pubs there so you won't need to go far. Also some good eateries around too!

Isaac's is good for food. Covers all bases. Son of a Bun do great burgers.

For pubs, try Sin É, they usually have a great trad session, or the Corner House, right next door, both on Coburg Street.

Oh, and you won't find much on Patrick's street, but do pop in to Mutton Lane for one if you're passing by. It's on the way into the English market.

Post edited by igCorcaigh on

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭elacsap

Hi - I'm going to be in Kinsale during the week. Two questions…..

1. Any recommendations for somewhere that does nice veggie dishes?
    2. Anybody visit recently the restaurant in the Bullman?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hi, I haven't been to the Bulman but it gets great reviews, would like to go there soon myself. I went to Jim Edwards for dinner on Sunday and it was really lovely but perhaps not the best for veggie dishes! They do lots of fish though.

My first visit to Ritu, Carrigaline, was earlier this evening.

I can't give an honest review of the food, because everything (starters, mains, sides, rice) was so oversalted to the extent that it became inedible.

I know Indian food can be very salty, but this was to an unhealthy and cloying level that prevented me from enjoying the food, although the food itself looked delicious, and to the extent that I could discern, tasted so as well.

The generous portions of lamb (main) and chicken (starter) were expertly cooked and tender. Beautiful presentation of the chicken tikka starter in the photo below.

And the place itself was cosy and well decorated, and the service was very good, no complaints.

I'm not sure if this is normal or not for Ritu, but both my partner and I felt the same about the levels of salt.

I don't want to put anyone off visiting Ritu, which has great reviews, and has been on my list of Indian restaurants to try. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or perhaps it's a one off?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭scrotist

That's chicken tikka in the first photo?? Looks like grey boiled chicken breast from granny's house. Did it have any flavour?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It was made with cream cheese… I was expecting more of the usual charred red, but the flavour was nice.

• Advertisement

I'd email them. But don't expect a gracious reply. In my experience that doesn't happen.

I have just emailed them.

It's more for their benefit than mine. I wouldn't want to see a business lose custom for something they should be aware of. 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 18,032 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ive ate in Ritu, found it good, don't think myself or my wife found it over salty

Thanks. I'm hoping it's a once off thing; I'd like to return.

Maybe I should post this in the Stupid Questions Thread, but...

Would it be considered acceptable to bring my own condiments to a restaurant?

I don't mean anywhere fancy or high end now, but, for example I prefer chilli sauce over ketchup on my chips. Some of my favourite hot sauce on my burrito. A bit of Dijon with my full Irish etc.

It's those types of restaurants is what I mean.

I guess I could always ask first, just wondering would it be a bit odd?!

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Rfrip

oh I wouldn’t think it would be an issue?

I know someone who used to bring a bottle of hotsauce to hotels for their eggs at breakfast. No one minded.

I've often thought about bringing hot sauce to Bunsen. While I love the simplicity of their burgers, I do like some sort of chilli with a burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Fab Georgian food at the Geofood place on South Main Street, tiny little shop but has seating and they now do Georgian wines too. Lovely cheese bread (khachapuri) and dumplings (khinkali)

I got meat ones. So tasty and the lovely owner in there makes them fresh!!

Definitely a hidden gem

I love that little Georgian/Greek shop @Curb Your Enthusiasm, the owner is lovely. Must pop in soon to try the fresh food. 👍️

• Advertisement
Advertisement