Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Got dinos in douglas at the weekend. Second bad experience in the last year. The portion size of curry chips wouldnt have been enough to feed a child, a miserable scoop of chips.
    Went to the dinos in kinsale last year and the cheese and onion pie was stone frozen in the middle.
    Will stick to the reliable jackie lennoxs next time!

Should've gone up the hill to Dinos in Grange. Quality chipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Samhain wrote: »
    +1 for Thali and Haveli. Mirch masala started out promising but was absolutely rank the second time. Never again. There is an Indian stall in Wilton market on a Tuesday that is excellent. Only a couple of dishes each day but very good quality and a huge portion for 8 euro. Lovely guy running it, he normally throws in something for free like a Dosa or similar starter dish. He is in Kinsale on a Wednesday and Midleton on Saturday. Can't remember the full name...spice of life or something similar?

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried it today & pretty much it went exactly as you described. Word of warning lots of things there are cash only, luckily had enough to pay for myself & a friend who "claimed" she had no cash with her :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Anyone else thinking about the last time they were in an actual restaurant?

I think it's 14 months for me... Someone doing the wash-up for me is going to be soooo nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

pwurple wrote: »
    Anyone else thinking about the last time they were in an actual restaurant?

I think it's 14 months for me... Someone doing the wash-up for me is going to be soooo nice.

Just thinking today about how much I miss it :( Would really love to go to Liberty Grill and savour their Eggs Benedict! I'll never take it for granted again! I know you can get it with Click and Collect at the moment but it's the whole experience for me, it wouldn't be the same as being in there and having it served up to me...hopefully soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Got to The Glass Curtain last year. It was fantastic. Also made it to ichigo ichie last year - so, so good.

I really miss eating in in Iyer's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Whatever about 'click & collect', the whole thing of finishing off the cooking at home just doesn't do it for me!

Bacco in Ballincollig are doing all pizzas & pastas for €10. Daughter got lasagne, hubby got tagliatelle zingara and I got a bacon & mushroom pizza at the w/end - thumbs up all round. I love that their pizza has the thin base.

Whatever about 'click & collect', the whole thing of finishing off the cooking at home just doesn't do it for me!

There's room for all.

I personally like my food to LOOK as good as it tastes. That's what you get with the finish at home thing. It looks well put together on the plate when you finish it at home. I can put a bit of effort into setting up the table, sticking on some music, getting some drinks. You know, faking the restaurant thing.

Upending food from the plastic containers onto a plate, or eating of out a bag or cardboard box is ok as well when you're hungry. But I get it, it's more effort for the finish at home alright. Special occasions only for me anyway.

We got afternoon tea from Vienna woods last weekend actually and it was really good. The savoury sandwiches were delicious, and it was very generous portion-wise. We couldn't finish it between 2 adults and 2 children, had to come back for a second take at it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Got to docklands in December but that was the first dinner out in however many months.

I'm going to try the bao buns in electric on friday (no one tell me they are all crap because ive already paid for them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Interesting choice of location. Other than people travelling that back road to avoid checkpoints during lockdown there isnt a whole lot of passing trade on the road to Cloughduv. Isnt the local shop now closed due to lack of footfall.

It's only 10 mins out the road from Ballincollig/Ovens which has a massive population. But yeah, he'd probably do better parked up closer to the city.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I really miss eating in in Iyer's.

I hope he's taking this opportunity to find new premises. The place is too small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I hope he's taking this opportunity to find new premises. The place is too small.

I wish ORSO would find a bigger space... its my fav restaurant in the city but its a bit of a chore getting a table there during decent hours..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Part of the charm for me.

Any place around Cork that make a mean burger? Tried Joes & Bros and found their burgers to be quite tasty in fairness.

Heard son of a bun was a good? Any feedback about them?

Anyone else?

Eat street is very good for burgers. Good quality meat from O'Mahoneys I think, and they cook it well.

https://eatstreet.clickandcollection.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The West Cork Burger Company across Washington St. from St. Augustine's - excellent burger.

EDIT: Oh, and if you ever encounter "Annie's Roasts", make a bee-line - I had one of her burgers at the Cork Summer Show a couple of years ago, and it was the best burger I've ever had.

pwurple wrote: »
    Eat street is very good for burgers. Good quality meat from O'Mahoneys I think, and they cook it well.

https://eatstreet.clickandcollection.com/

Thank you, will give them a go this weekend! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Quinlan's, Prince's Street - best seafood place in Munster:

550125.jpg

limnam wrote: »
    Part of the charm for me.

Same here. I love it just how it is.
    Although, I struggle to see how it makes money!

jimgoose wrote: »
    The West Cork Burger Company across Washington St. from St. Augustine's - excellent burger.

EDIT: Oh, and if you ever encounter "Annie's Roasts", make a bee-line - I had one of her burgers at the Cork Summer Show a couple of years ago, and it was the best burger I've ever had.

West cork look like a good shout also. will keep that in mind. Thank you.

InitialG wrote: »
    Any place around Cork that make a mean burger? Tried Joes & Bros and found their burgers to be quite tasty in fairness.

Anyone else?

Bunsen.
    It's the only place I can get a burger and be sure it won't be overcooked.
    I've not tried eat street but I can certainly vouch for O Mahony's burgers from cooking them at home.

If you like a classic style burger, I've not had better than Bunsen.
    If you are all about fancy toppings, it's not for you.
    I wasn't gone on Son of a Bun. Burger overcooked and all very sloppy and messy for my liking. That was quite a whole ago, though.

• Advertisement

I don't really eat them myself (not a lover of red meat).. but my OH likes em..

But, seems he doesn't like the "pattie" style burgers... prefers something more solid..

Are burgers technically suppose to be one or the other or does it generally vary?

(hope this makes sense)..

Bunsen.
    It's the only place I can get a burger and be sure it won't be overcooked.
    I've not tried eat street but I can certainly vouch for O Mahony's burgers from cooking them at home.

But if you like a classic style burger, I've not had better than Bunsen.
    If you are all about fancy toppings, it's not for you.

Had bunsen around a year or two ago and quite liked it. Must get it again at some stage.

Theres a place in mayfield, a van serving burgers ran by two brothers, Dacent Munch its called. Just came across their social media. Burgers looks amazing.

sporina wrote: »

But, seems he doesn't like the "pattie" style burgers... prefers something more solid..

Are burgers technically suppose to be one or the other or does it generally vary?

I found the likes of Dino's burgers are the "pattie" type almost like McDonalds where they appear to be quite flat and bland looking. I'm a fan of Dino's so cant talk negatively about them. I wouldnt enterain a McDonalds anyway. Find their burgers to be quite simply, crap.

It seems to be the likes of Joes and Bros and other mentioned above that have the more "beefed up" (excuse the pun) burger styles where the meat looks big and juicy.

sporina wrote: »

The thin patty is a classic American style burger.
    The big, thick, heavy burger is more of an Irish home style burger. Both burgers, though.

Personality, I don't like the thick ones. For them to be cooked enough to be safe, they end up dry and hard on the outside.

Having said that, Bunsen burgers are quite thick but they cook them perfectly to order to your preference (medium being the least cooked option but that is still pink and moist in the middle).

The thin patty is a classic American style burger.
    The big, thick, heavy burger is more of an Irish home style burger. Both burgers, though.

Personality, I don't like the thick ones. For them to be cooked enough to be safe, they end up dry and hard on the outside.

Having said that, Bunsen burgers are quite thick but they cook them perfectly to order to your preference (medium being the least cooked option but that is still pink and moist in the middle).

great thanks for the clarification.. (everyday is a school day lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

InitialG wrote: »

Anyone else?

Bunsen IMO is one of the best burger places in Cork, better than Sun of a Bun. They only do burgers and do them well. Have heard good things about Dacent Munch, but haven't tried them personally as yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I went through a phase of both Bunsen and Son of a Bun.

Son of a Bun had a tendency to stack their food so high it was cumbersome to eat.

Bunsen is a better experience.

That said, I value that Son of a Bun is local & run by Cork people(open to correction here) whereas Bunsen is a (Dublin) chain. They also have frequent specials and more frills than Bunsen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

West Cork Burger and Bunsen are the best for me - I had Son of a Bun but didn't really get the hype - maybe I need to try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I went through a phase of both Bunsen and Son of a Bun.

Son of a Bun had a tendency to stack their food so high it was cumbersome to eat.

Bunsen is a better experience.

That said, I value that Son of a Bun is local & run by Cork people(open to correction here) whereas Bunsen is a (Dublin) chain. They also have frequent specials and more frills than Bunsen.

Yeah, they own Niall's in the SC in Bandon. Not sure who's involved in West Cork Burger but Mike Twomey Butcher, Macroom, Bandon and Bantry might be?
    Must drive down Cloughduv way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭RINO87

On the subject of burgers, and as the weather looks like its headed in the right direction.....

West Cork Burger do, a really nice "cook at home" box, and their burgers are perfect for the BBQ!!
    They deliver the boxes at an appointed time to your home, burgers, sauce, buns, cheese, bacon, gherkins etc. Got them a few times last year with friends and they were really good.

Advertisement