Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭scrotist

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ingredient costs are one of many factors that make up the menu price. Things like steak, lobster and some premium fish have higher ingredient costs than other dishes so they cost more on the menu. This shouldn't be difficult stuff to understand, it's not very complicated.

Also, people are conditioned into and used to paying a lot for steaks in restaurants. The market probably allows for a slight premium for steaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

is scrotist a troll?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Iguarantee

My extended family owns & runs a butchering business, which supplies restaurants.

No doubt there’s a high markup on meat but, regardless, €41.95 is expensive, in my opinion.

restaurant overheads - cooking, cleaning/washing up, staff, rent etc etc etc etc.. and I am no expert - don't need to be - just think about it..

bottom line - there is no comparison price wise between a piece of meat in a butcher and a "meat dish" (inc. all the other ingredients) in a restaurant

• Advertisement

Where can you get a fillet steak cheaper? (bearing in mind that Man Friday has a long, long standing reputation for quality)

Personally, a steak for that price holds no value for me but it's a fairly standard price as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

The general rule in a restaurant is a cut of steak should be about a quarter of the price the customer pays. If the cut costs a tenner than €41 is about right

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

There was a big jump in retail steak prices earlier this year, over 8%, lets not forget that the Supermarkets have way more buying power than restaurants. In January steak price to restaurant was €16.83 per kilo.

Add staff costs of around 25-35% of revenue, rent, power etc and the margins are tight and at the end of the day I guess its my choice if I eat there or not. I have a bigger issue with the quality/source or the steak as there's a huge varience on that

Where I get annoyed is when restraunts charge the usual "steak price" but serve up a really pedestrian steak not cooked as ordered. There is no excuse for that and it happens pretty often, in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,100 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If a pasta dish is €16 to €20,€40 sounds about right for a steak, although its on the high side. I was in elbow lane recent enough and it about 30 for the ribeye.

• Advertisement

9 of us had a fantastic meal in Mae Fitz's Lissarda today - just fantastic - food is top notch and such great value for money - staff wer 100%.. I had turkey and ham and all the trimmings - €16.. every ingredient on the plate was 100%.. a pot of Tea for 1 is €2.25 - 2 tea bags.. Tiramisu was divine - v boozy €7 I think - great menu

had dinner in Blair's Cove during the week - I preferred the above - will review that properly soon - but I'll say this now; started and desert buffets are a gimmick imo.. mains wer v good though

• Registered Users Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Cooking, cleaning, staff, etc... plus the main ingredient,, Profit.

How much percentage of all the things involved here are actual profit?

No place is going to operate without that.

well profit is a given - its a business - as is a butcher, the suppliers of the other ingredients etc..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Baba ghanoush at Izz Café. The chilli sauce is partially hidden. Tasty and fresh tasting.

Not a bad deal for €9.90. The kombucha was €4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I actually got takeway of cafe izz last night! Fab as always and I always manage to have some left over for lunch the next day so I think it’s great value. I love the chicken musakhan.

I used to always think they overcharged a bit, but perhaps not considering how things are these days.

I must go back to try the musakhan!

we adore Cafe Izz - my fav is the falafel manoosheh - spelling might not be right there - its worth the money - though never thought of it as being €€ - quality stuff - could not be any better - well maybe if it was in Palestine minus the war

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Iguarantee

Izz cafe is hugely overpriced, in my opinion.

The quantity is there but the quality is not. €14.50 for their falafel wrap (sit in or take away) is a rip off.

Good luck to them, they won't be getting my custom again.

• Advertisement

That was my experience, too, and I hated the way they smush and smear the all the falafel into the wrap.

However, that baba ghanoush plate looks like decent value, considering the bread and pickles.

I really don't know how you can say €14.50 for a staple like a falafel sandwich isn't expensive. It's more that twice the price of a falafel wrap in The 4 Liars!

we only ever get it in the pizza/flat format - and even my OH can't finish a whole one - v filling.. and he has a big appetite.. I could never eat a whole one in one sitting - always have some for lunch the next day - maybe there is a less in the wrap - dunno.. so meal I can't finish for that price and quality is totally fine by me

Sea Salt in Cobh.

The kitchen had closed when I arrived there at 3pm yesterday, so only deli options available.

Sausage roll and flat white. Both were excellent, the flakey roll being packed with sausage meat. Good value, I think, at €10.10 for both.

Looking forward to my next visit there; I'll make sure to get there early for the kitchen (they close at 4pm).

3 of us went to Goldie last night - it was exquisite from start to finish - and adored the decor/interior design - so inviting and comfortable.. staff wer brilliant too..

we almost had everything on the menu.. lol - was there with 2 real foodies..

highlights for me wer the toasted seaweed and wild garlic potato crisps, the oyster and hake tempura courgette flower, my main - turbot.. we all had fish - they wer all flawless.. sides wer delicious esp the colcannon and beets, my fav desert was the caramelised white chocolate dish.. we had 2 bottles of Doro Blanco from Portugal.

Aisling Moore and team - smashing it! its not just food - a culinary dream

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Where was the place that charged over 16 euro for a sandwich, a cup of tea and a bag of crisps?

Was the sandwich any good 😛?

The Tankard - Fenit - Kerry - 100% - can't wait to return

Lord Bakers - Dingle - excellent

Blair’s cove - west cork

steak, lamb, monkfish and black sole.. found the whole experience v contrived.. reception area is a marquee - waiter giving us a spiel which he could have just recorded and replayed.. starter buffet is a gimmick, mains ok - desert buffet another gimmick - lots of staff but inexperienced.. v busy and noisy - tbh I didn't really enjoy it - and my sole was way overdone and over seasoned..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,100 ✭✭✭✭rob316

In gallo galetti earlier, hadn't been a good few years. As excellent as ever, it's not food that would blow you away but it's good fare and tasty, I thought pretty reasonable price too.

Advertisement