Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Never had West Cork Burger, but both Son of a Bun and Bunsen are solid options, never been disappointed with either.

I've never had takeaway from Son of a Bun mind you, but I've no reason to assume it'd be worse. Their garlic mayo for the chips is delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gooseman12

Mardyke wrote: »
    It's only 10 mins out the road from Ballincollig/Ovens which has a massive population. But yeah, he'd probably do better parked up closer to the city.

I actually think it's a pretty smart and well thought out location by Curly Stu.

It's quite a long drive for everyone from the Aherla/Cloughduv/Crookstown area to any sort of takeaway, possibly all the way to macroom or ballincollig so he has targeted an area with a bit of population but importantly with pretty much zero competition.

He also goes to Newcestown on a Friday night.

Sold out at both locations last week according to his Facebook so it looks like his choice of locations is paying dividends.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Should've gone up the hill to Dinos in Grange. Quality chipper.

Yeah, Grange one is very good, they're a well oiled machine

Lab 82 do a really nice burger, they close quite early so can be a bit awkward trying to order from them. Anytime I've tried to order from them since they were closed. Lovely chips too

The Eat Street burgers are very nice, they're incredibly tender, you could pull them apart with a spoon. Expensive enough though but it's the same with all these places.

Daycent Munch up in Mayfield do lovely burgers, very good value but you need to ring well ahead to get a spot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭sporina

siblers wrote: »
    Lab 82 do a really nice burger, they close quite early so can be a bit awkward trying to order from them. Anytime I've tried to order from them since they were closed. Lovely chips too

The Eat Street burgers are very nice, they're incredibly tender, you could pull them apart with a spoon. Expensive enough though but it's the same with all these places.

Daycent Munch up in Mayfield do lovely burgers, very good value but you need to ring well ahead to get a spot

can't wait to go to Lab 82 when we can dine in.. their food looks unreal.. (not a burger fan though - have my eye on their brunch dishes and deserts)

• Advertisement

sporina wrote: »
    can't wait to go to Lab 82 when we can dine in.. their food looks unreal.. (not a burger fan though - have my eye on their brunch dishes and deserts)

Yeah, we're looking forward to going there too. Want to try their deserts and breakfast menu.

Although I'd pretty much eat anything on their menu

• Registered Users Posts: 21,332 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yeah, we're looking forward to going there too. Want to try their deserts and breakfast menu.

Although I'd pretty much eat anything on their menu

Desert after breakfast is a great idea. Could become a, Cork thing.

Water John wrote: »
    Desert after breakfast is a great idea. Could become a, Cork thing.

I'd have desert anytime of the day or night and I'd have it gladly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Ordered spitjack for lunch today on deliveroo
    Very pleasant

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Went to Joes and Bros last night for a burger and tots. So so good. One of the best burgers I've had for ages. I got the brisket burger and it was savage. My friend got the crispy chicken one and he said it was the best takeaway he's had in an age. I got the brownie ice cream cup too and it was really nice. Maybe a little stingy on the tots with the burger but it's only a small complaint. Great value on a Thursday evening too- €10 for any burger and tots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Went to Joes and Bros last night for a burger and tots. So so good. One of the best burgers I've had for ages. I got the brisket burger and it was savage. My friend got the crispy chicken one and he said it was the best takeaway he's had in an age. I got the brownie ice cream cup too and it was really nice. Maybe a little stingy on the tots with the burger but it's only a small complaint. Great value on a Thursday evening too- €10 for any burger and tots.

sorry, have to ask, what are 'tots'? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

sorry, have to ask, what are 'tots'? :confused:

Basically big potato cubes, Tater tots!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

ah, another American term I see, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭PreCocious

Fancy American version of JoJo's then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've had them and they are pretty but it's a stupid and, a quick google tells me, incorrect name. Tater tots are grated potatoes, formed and deep fried - not just fried potatoes.

What I found pretty bad when I had them was that I ordered loaded chorizo tots but no where does it say that there's a heap of melted cheese on them. I didn't expect this but I wasn't too bothered as I like cheese but many don't or can't eat cheese. If my wife had gotten them, they'd have gone straight back - bit of an inconvenience when only doing take away!

This was pre covid but I just looked at their menu now and it's still the same.

Anyway, these tots are tasty if you like cheese and their coffee is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Really hate when people dont disclose things like that, why is it so hard to write down whats in it.
    Hope they have at least the allergens written somewhere so some with an allergy will know at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What I found pretty bad when I had them was that I ordered loaded chorizo tots but no where does it say that there's a heap of melted cheese on them.

It's a lingo thing.

"Loaded" anything means "with cheese" in the US usually I'm sure.

Loaded bacon fries = cheese and bacon on chips etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,032 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Loaded always means cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I'm a picky eater at the best of times, even with fries. Their Instagram doesn't have photos of their tater tots anywhere so I have no idea what kind of fries they do. Sounds silly, but especially when they name them "tater tots" I'm expecting the Napolean Dynamite type things - like potato croquettes we have here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

sammyjo90 wrote: »

I'm going to try the bao buns in electric on friday (no one tell me they are all crap because ive already paid for them :pac:

Ok so i think if ordering them fresh it would help alot but i wouldnt rave about them.
    Got three, pork, beef and mushroom. I think the mushroom one was probably the nicest. Thought the beef would be spicier being gochujang, The pork was bland wish i had gone for the chicken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

What the **** is going on??

Tater tots... Napoleon...

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I'm a picky eater at the best of times, even with fries. Their Instagram doesn't have photos of their tater tots anywhere so I have no idea what kind of fries they do. Sounds silly, but especially when they name them "tater tots" I'm expecting the Napolean Dynamite type things - like potato croquettes we have here.

Part of the reason I find it annoying - not only is it unnecessarily shoehorning in a term that most Irish people don't understand - it's using the term inaccurately.

Joes and Bros do some of the best burgers around at the moment. Their desserts are really good as well. I was tempted to get Joes and Bros last night but on Friday's the wait is usually way too long. I got the groundhog burger from Sober Lane instead, which was amazing.

Has anyone ordered from Rice?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭Be right back

Got the butterfly chicken burger from Eat street. Really good.

Has anyone ordered from Rice?

Is that yet another brand operating out of Captain America's?

Is that yet another brand operating out of Captain America's?

Their address is 5 South Main street, looks to be. Mad, how many is that now? 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Their address is 5 South Main street, looks to be. Mad, how many is that now? 4?

7 at least. Double 8, Rice, Wow Burger, Dollards, Elephant and Castle, Captain Americas, Coco Indian.....might be more.

Kerry25x wrote: »
    7 at least. Double 8, Rice, Wow Burger, Dollards, Elephant and Castle, Captain Americas, Coco Indian.....might be more.

Mad, the kitchen in there isn't even that big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Mad, the kitchen in there isn't even that big.

They have the downstairs kitchen in the old Wow Burger restaurant too.

Advertisement