Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Ordered from Wow Burger before and it was a complete rip off which has put me off getting Rice if its the same crowd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭Drdenise75

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Ok so i think if ordering them fresh it would help alot but i wouldnt rave about them.
    Got three, pork, beef and mushroom. I think the mushroom one was probably the nicest. Thought the beef would be spicier being gochujang, The pork was bland wish i had gone for the chicken.

We tried these last night. I'm a big fan of Bao buns but I'm not sure they'd win over a first timer. Tried the beef, pork, chicken and cauliflower ones between us. Overall not bad (pretty good texture to the Bao buns themselves) but they suffer a bit from bringing them home as with many takeaway foods (I much prefer the 'finish at home' type takeaways around at the moment). I agree they'd be better off eaten immediately. I thought the beef and pork fared best (added our own hot sauce to them!) because the fillings weren't meant to be crunchy, and the pulled pork and pulled beef were both juicy and tasty, but the cauliflower and chicken fillings were meant to be crunchy I think and so ended up losing a bit of the texture intended (although the chicken tasted good in fairness). Have to recommend the onion rings - they were excellent. We re-heated them in the oven and they were super crispy and had a nice (mild) spicy coating. Overall though we enjoyed the meal and definitely worth a try if you've a hankering for Bao buns!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Sometimes you want nothing more than a dirty takeaway - so we got one from Chinese Gourmet in Blackpool. Picked this on it being the top rated Chinese on Just Eat.

The portions were HUGE. We had dinner for one night & the following. Value for money was excellent - well below €30 including delivery for dinner for 2. Quality was middling, nothing above or below average for your typical Chinese takeaway, but it for sure hit the spot.

I'm still looking for the best spice (spicy) bag. Nothing has come close to Xi'an in Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

I'm still looking for the best spice (spicy) bag. Nothing has come close to Xi'an in Galway.

Have had great ones in Dublin, Galway and many places in between but I have found the Chinese takeaways down here just dont "get" the spice bag. Jumbo in Togher do the closest attempt with a decent amount of veg and chopped chilli but their chips are horrible and ruin the whole thing. Make sure to let us know her if you find a good one somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

Any recommendations for a gluten free takeaway option in the city/southside. Working from Cork next week and my colleague is a coeliac. All cuisines/styles considered!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Talguetler wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a gluten free takeaway option in the city/southside. Working from Cork next week and my colleague is a coeliac. All cuisines/styles considered!

Golden Elephant in douglas is one my GF pal loves...

Talguetler wrote: »

Eat Street (you need to order a few days ahead though)

They do burgers but are a step above your standard take away burger

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭sporina

pwurple wrote: »
    Golden Elephant in douglas is one my GF pal loves...

not GF but love GE - its my go to for Thai.. really good quality - and southside too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Samhain wrote: »
    Have had great ones in Dublin, Galway and many places in between but I have found the Chinese takeaways down here just dont "get" the spice bag. Jumbo in Togher do the closest attempt with a decent amount of veg and chopped chilli but their chips are horrible and ruin the whole thing. Make sure to let us know her if you find a good one somewhere!

I do like the spice bag from Lemon Tree. It is utter filth and salty as fucck, but that's what I'm expecting, lol. Health food it is not. Big flavour, big portion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Are there any other restaurants doing the cook at home thing other than Greenes, Cask and the Glass Curtain?

Tried greenes and the glass curtain already and both delicious!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

bee06 wrote: »
    Are there any other restaurants doing the cook at home thing other than Greenes, Cask and the Glass Curtain?

Paradiso is a good one. They only have a few kits on a Tuesday morning.
    https://www.paradisoathome.com/shop

Sage in Midleton

Maybe Blair’s inn near Blarney?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Da Mirco on Bridge Street.

Not a restaurant restaurant but West Cork Burger do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭Drdenise75

Jacques recently started too

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭PreCocious

A little different to the above but Market Lane do this as well - usually around holiday weekends. We've been pleased when we've had them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Got a take-out from Barrys in Douglas, Steak Philli sandwich, losses a bit though when its take away, but still very nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭RINO87

Is anywhere doing decent mexican for takeaway.... Organizing a mexican themed birthday party. Seeing as there will only be the 3 of us I had better get the food right at least! Would normally cook, but have other activities planned for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

Anyone have an idea of who is doing takeaway pints in town? Sorry if wrong thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

Mutton lane are meant to be coming back this week. Goldbergs but I think it's Thu-Sun only. The Harp in Ballyphehane and The Beer Garden in Turners Cross are too afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

unplayable wrote: »
    Anyone have an idea of who is doing takeaway pints in town? Sorry if wrong thread.

I think Oliver Plunkett have just started again. Bodega too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Can anyone recommend a takeaway in Cork as I have to go down for work.

Looking for something Cork that I won't get anywhere else.

Also a nice cafe in the centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭Iguarantee

breezy1985 wrote: »

KCs in Douglas, or Miyazaki on Barrack Street.

Lennox's is pure processed muck, before anyone else recommends it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭sporina

Iguarantee wrote: »
    KCs in Douglas, or Miyazaki on Barrack Street.

Lennox's is pure processed muck, before anyone else recommends it.

Yeah I'd go with Miyazaki for sure.. KC's is just a glorified chipper..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

unplayable wrote: »

The Roundy are doing them as well as the others that were mentioned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

RINO87 wrote: »
    Is anywhere doing decent mexican for takeaway.... Organizing a mexican themed birthday party. Seeing as there will only be the 3 of us I had better get the food right at least! Would normally cook, but have other activities planned for the day.

I'm a fan of Tequilla Jacks. Alternatively, BDSM do surprisingly good tacos too. Avoid Cafe Mexicana.

The Roundy are doing them as well as the others that were mentioned

Everyone around the Cornmarket area is doing pints it seems, place has been pretty buzzing the last few weekends, some people might find that uncomfortable right now, but others don't obviously enough.

If around the Cornmarket is too busy, Crawford and Co were also doing food and pints the last few weekends too. Decent enough crowd to create a bit of an atmosphere but people very well spaced out.

Kerry25x wrote: »
    I'm a fan of Tequilla Jacks. Alternatively, BDSM do surprisingly good tacos too. Avoid Cafe Mexicana.

Thanks, are either back open yet?

Agree with you on Mexicana - thats possibly the worst food that I've had in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,172 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

RINO87 wrote: »
    Thanks, are either back open yet?

Agree with you on Mexicana - thats possibly the worst food that I've had in Cork.

Tequila jacks is fri-sun
    Think bdsm is thur -sun click and collect

Edit: forgot to mention...think its only quesadillas that you can collect cooked from BDSM. There is a taco kit to make at home if thats something you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Pity we don't have more mexican restaurants in Cork - mexican food, when done right, is so delicious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭whatever76

breezy1985 wrote: »

good day deli is worth a trip - https://www.gooddaydeli.ie/

Advertisement