Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV programmes that have run their course

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

You're all so negative about it. It's there to put a smile on your face.

This is the actual fact: the angelous was invented to torture your worst enemy. You stick them inside a big feck off bell and then smash said bell with a big feck off bell stick (apologies for all the technical jargon).

A bit of knowledge goes a long way. Maybe look into the history of stuff and not pretend you know the apparent history of bell sounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Actually Tubridy's greatest asset is who he's related to 😁

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

The Handmaid's Tale. I loved the first series so much, and thought it did a superb job with one of my favourite books ever. Then it went "off book" for series two - still quite impressive for a bit... but then it just became totally absurd. The protagonist would have been executed long ago for all her defiance, but conveniently keeps having mercy shown to her. Totally missing the point.

And of course The Simpsons. I disagree that it went to complete sh1t after series nine - plenty of funny episodes after that (and I don't think the genius of 1991 to 1998 was sustainable indefinitely) but so many awful ones too, and the jumping of the shark was complete about 15 years ago. I guess they'll just keep churning it out until it stops being profitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

American Horror Story turned pure stupid after the Roanoke season. So from season 7 onwards it was just awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I found the last series of Friday Night Dinner quite poor. The episode with the cream tea loving Swiss au pair was absolutely awful. I liked the Jim character in it as he was a loveable oddball neighbor but in the most recent series they basically turned him into a total Jeffrey Dahmer-esque freak who you wouldn't want anything whatsoever to do with. Sadly the actor who played the Dad in it died recently also so I don't think there will be any more new episodes.

Have to agree I'm afraid, in the end they were overusing the Jim character way too much - only tolerable (and impactful) in small doses. Also once the two lads settled down they seemed quite... smug and their hearts weren't really in the sibling rivalry any more. Growing up and becoming sensible isn't funny I'm afraid.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭its_steve116

As much as I loved Simon Bird's other show The Inbetweeners, I wouldn't have wanted it to have gone the same way.

They were getting way too old to do the Inbetweeners!

Maybe have them come back as 40-somethings would work. Maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

Curb Your Enthusiasm. One of my all time favourite shows but to be honest it's becoming too slapstick for my liking. I do still enjoy it somewhat but I do think it's run it's course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭trashcan

Well it’s not going anywhere near my telly, that’s for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The Late Late Show nowadays is nothi g but a platform for Ryan to show off who he knows. It used to be a decent mix of debate, current affairs music and prizes but now its just the same old 3 or 4 guests year in, year out. Its obvious he has a massive crush on Amy Huberman. Despite being average at best, she is on the show every single year, sometimes twice a year, and by extension he gives Brian O Driscoll some air time too, despite him not really being anyone interesting.

Francis Brennan is the same, ditto Nathan Wagon Wheel and then Michael D. You could set your watch to the guestlist. A new presenter who couldnt invite his mates would shake up the format a lot and we might get some decent debate or interesting people to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

The Late Late show is just an atrocious spectacle at this stage. Before you even get to the presenter or the guestlist, it's now more than ever, a vehicle to hoover up advertising and sponsorship revenue. It's vibe is very much that that is it's primary remit, not the actual content.

RTE make full use of the large ratings by simply hammering viewers over the head with lots of long commercial breaks, while before each and every break Tubridy reads off the spiel about the text-In competition. If you flick in and out of the Late Late Show, it's almost a certainty you'll be met with an ad break or the presenter repeating the competition question for the 5th time.

The other incredible thing about it is that the programme has gone completely backwards from it's original purpose. Gone are the interesting panel debates about the hot button issue of the day. The only time you see collection of famous Irish commentators on stage now is for a tribute show or for a memorial. Tubridy and has team have completely removed the thing that made the show in Byrne and Pat Kenny's time, interesting. And It's not like there has been little going on over the last few years. He has replaced these items with endless misery for misery's sake slots, country music shows, a procession of interviews with the most vapid and tiresome micro celebrities this little island has to offer, oh and if he's not doing a Eurovision special or the Toy Show, he is talking about an upcoming Eurovision special or the Toy Show. The whole show is now tailored to the presenter's comfort zone, which is nothing but safe, tedious, parochial dross, mainly.

If RTE ever does like the Gards and outsources the top job to a TV executive from outside the country, who might have an interest in making actual compelling tv, I'd hope this dead horse of a show would finally be buried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I think it is important that the Late Late is so phucking shight.

It now gives people the opportunity to get off their couch and do something with their lives.

It's total crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

A Question Of Sport. It was wonderful through the years until Paddy McGuiness and Sam and Ugo whatever they're called came along and ruined it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

At 9.35 unless you are going out for a drink not much you’ll be doing.

lots of people are fairly tired after work, college or whatever on a Friday night.. that it is sometimes nice to veg with the TV, light entertainment if done well is a good format but done like the current Late Late is bonkers, it’s crap.

what I liked about Gay’s day was there was pretty much something for everyone, you could tune in to a current affairs type segment, serious enough stuff, next a prominent musician, then someone like Billy Connolly or another established comedian being genuinely hilarious…more music and by music, proper established artists….proper established guests who had achieved in their field or else were relevant from a political / current affairs angle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The late late cant attract quality guests. Thats a huge issue. They dont even put interesting Irish guests anymore. Amy Huberman is a dose and not remotely funny or interesting. Im sure she is a nice woman but doesnt belong anywhere near a tv. Dermot Bannon? Yawn. Who cares anymore. Then a friday night isnt the time to put on people with terminal cancer or parents who have lost a child. Not on a friday.

Still though it gets the viewers. Must be doing something right.

Huberman is that poor am actor i dont know how she hasnt got a gig on fair city yet.

I don't know, how DOES she not have a gig on Fair City yet? 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Defo these ones .... on way too long and offer nothing to most at this stage ... I never liked any of them to begin with but even friends of mine who used to like them no longer do .... they are ...

Operation Transformation

Dancing with the Stars

Mrs Brown's Boys/All Round to Mrs Brown/Anything to do with Mrs Brown

Any talent show

Dragon's Den

Love Island

The Late Late Show

First Dates

Don't Tell the Bride

Any Big Brother type rubbish that is still doing the rounds

There is simply way too much of this type of stuff on ... an overdose of it in fact ... I was never a fan of any of these but now former enthusiasts are beginning to get bored as well ... oversaturation I guess ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

An absolute must-watch until they started pandering to the obscure sports like handball, Paralympics and whatever, while also having two female sports starts per episode, from, you guessed it, obscure sports. Home and away and picture rounds are virtually impossible nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

we get it, you just want male soccer players on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

in fairness uncle Gaybo was a fairly condescending hoor to anyone he thought was somehow beneath him while arse licking anyone that he believes was on his level. Tubridy is just an overgrown child, the one thing that does suit him is the toy show as he is dealing with people that are at his own level of mentality.

I think Made in Chelsea is E4's longest-running original show ever. It's been in production for 11 years, 12 next summer.

That's about twice as long as Skins, its first-ever original show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Shaun Ryder alone makes Gogglebox worth watching

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭griffin100

This.....

and it hasn't even started yet.

Typical RTE, take the presenters if a sh1te radio show that no one listens to and give them a prime time TV slot. Who the fcuk makes these decisions.

The Meaning Of Life

Gaybo was satisfactory as host for all his warts.

Joe is not.

Prime Time and prime time investigates.

Fair City, yes really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Gusser09

It's just rehashed stuff as usual. No creativity whatsoever.

You know what they say about RTE. It's harder to get out than in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I don’t even know her but if The Sun are singing the praises of this show….jaysus.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

But if there was no angelus the news would start at six.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Doireann Garrihys "fans" opinions are about as relevant as the Oirish Sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭asdfg22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭techman1

I wonder is that the agenda though to get people that are a bit overweight to start worrying and buying into all the health stuff and services that are being pushed.

if it was really fat people like it used to be well then people could watch it and say ah sure at least I'm not as fat as that man or woman.

It's the same story with alcohol trying to convince people they are alcoholics if they drank 3 glasses of wine in one evening

It's basically a show run by the health fascists

I think it's about 15 years since the first one aired?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Any of the franchise US TV programmes and many of the network TV programmes. I am calling out Grey's Anatomy and NCIS, neither of which were ever all that good, e.g. Scurbs was more medically minded than Grey's!

All most all network TV show follow pretty much the same tropes and characters. The zany side kick who sits behind the computer, I blame CSI for this.

And then the soaps including Coro St, Emmers and EastEnders.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭leath_dub

How much potential advertising revenue was lost by RTE this Christmas with them bombarding us with free slots exhorting us to attend "Toy Show, the musical"?

It was wall to wall on RTE in December as the sense of desperation increased

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭leath_dub

In Gay's day they made a point of keeping secret who would be on that week's show. One literally didn't know what to expect

In Gay's day there was a fairly small world. There wasn't movies being produced for a global audience, so the odd thing that did involve Ireland involved someone showing up. People get nostalgic about him, but they don't remember that, much of the time, it was Maureen Potter, Des Kelly, and Brush Shields saying the same old things.

People just lived a much simpler and poorer type of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,702 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yes, there’s all kinds of women and young people not being patronised since he departed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭techman1

That's true to an extent but I think his real strength was that he was an actual entertainer and I think had theater experience , therefore he knew how to hold an audience attention.

Another factor was that he was a huge figure in RTE and was well established because he started out at the start of rte television, therefore he could not be pushed around by behind the scenes busy bodies . In contrast Tubridy looks like he is being controlled by the backroom mandarins in the organisation and is not his own man.

Tubridy lacks gravitas and is always overawed when he is interviewing some big star . Gay Byrne was never like that and was well within his comfort zone with the biggest international celebrities of the day

Another thing is that gay Byrne would have eccentrics and oddballs on the show just for the sheer entertainment and unpredictability factor, you never see that with tubridy because he is so afraid of losing control

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yes and no.

There's a lot more programming about now but a lot more fluff, disposable tv. For all his faults, Gaybo was a far better host than Tubbers could ever hope to be.

Tubbers is beige, was never a ground breaker, never the remotest bit controversial. If he left RTE in the morning, who would have him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

RTÉ love “balance”, they don’t want anything controversial. Too many lawsuits, and payouts, and too many nutters just itching to go to court.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Back in the 70's offended people complained to their PP or Bishop, now they run off in tears to their solicitor.

Des Kelly, the carpet man...??

@RoTelly bit shocking that Grey's Anatomy and NCIS are actually still on the go, if you'd asked me to guess I'd have said they finished up 10 or 12 years ago

@leath_dub These days you hear who's on and go "nah, no point". The rot started when Pat Kenny turned the show into an excuse to lech over supermodels.

In fairness to Gay, people did write in and complain (on TLLS and his radio show) and he'd read at least some of them out. Could you imagine Tubridy doing that!?!!?

Fair city is just random people walking around the rte car park , and nothing more. They even seem to have shifts so a group of actors on Monday simply won’t be there on Wednesday 😂😂

Gaybo's comeback did him few favours. He was older then and increasingly out of touch with modern Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Could you imagine Tubridy doing that!?!!?

No, because writing in to complain is no longer done.

People complain now instantly via social media.

I'm sure in another age Turbidy would have done so.

Advertisement