Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you really miss doing ?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

Communal singing with various choirs and groups I'm involved with. There is nothing like it and I cannot wait to be able to do it again.

Concerts and festivals. Live music. Feeding off the energy of a crowd.

Achill Island. My in-laws live there and we took our visits for granted. I will kiss the ground at the other side of the bridge when we finally get there again.

So much more, but the above immediately came to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Bigfatmichael

I miss not having anything booked to look forward to such as a match, concert, travel. That's the worst of it all.

The whole up at 8, work from home, TV and then bed is really starting to get to me.

I miss not been able to chat up women in a pub or night club. The muscle on my right arm has increased substantially.

I miss not been able that for a pint with friends and talking ****e with them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Having a spontaneous meet up with friends and family, going out on a SAT, travelling, hugging, beard and hair trims. Most importantly though . . Lifting weights in the gym

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

A pint with the sunday paper

Being able to plan a holiday and know you can actually do it. I've been constantly planning and then binning the plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Patsy167

“It is quite impossible to unite happiness with a yearning for what we don’t have. Happiness has
    all that it wants, and resembling the well-fed, there shouldn’t be hunger or thirst.”
    —EPICTETUS, DISCOURSES, 3.24.17
    ’ll be happy when I graduate, we tell ourselves. I’ll be happy when I get this promotion, when this
    diet pays off, when I have the money that my parents never had. Conditional happiness is what
    psychologists call this kind of thinking. Like the horizon, you can walk for miles and miles and never
    reach it. You won’t even get any closer.
    Eagerly anticipating some future event, passionately imagining something you desire, looking forward
    to some happy scenario—as pleasurable as these activities might seem, they ruin your chance at happiness
    here and now. Locate that yearning for more, better, someday and see it for what it is: the enemy of your
    contentment. Choose it or your happiness. As Epictetus says, the two are not compatible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Illium

Miss going to matches, concerts and holidays.

Actually managed to combine the first two above in August 2019, attending the hurling final and foo fighters in the space of 4 days.

Expensive couple of days but so worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Halenvaneddie

Sun holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 52,003 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

the kelt wrote: »
    I miss people and all that goes with it.

But of course according to numerous genii on here "pffft, people just want to go to the pub"

Everything i miss is all to do with people:

I miss family and friends
    I miss old members of family i havent seen in months
    I miss new members of family ive never got to meet
    I miss seeing my kids happily playing with their friends
    I miss my kids birthday parties
    I hate seeing my kids crying through a lack of social interaction with friends
    I miss seeing them being happier (was praying for snow to give them a release lately)
    I miss the dressing room banter
    I miss the office gossip
    I miss talking to friends i know are struggling more than me but wont answer the phone
    I miss fish and chips in Kilmore Quay steaming up the windscreen as we park at the harbour looking out to sea
    I miss being a literal hurler on the ditch
    I miss my adventure races
    I miss selling club lotto tickets using it as an excuse to call in and have an old chat
    I miss sunday day trips to wherever
    I miss "whats for dinner? sure feck it we'll go out and get something for a change"
    I miss being able to buy clothes in a shop even though i hate shopping!
    I miss the roar of a crowd and how it can make the hair stand on the back of your neck
    I miss running the forest in the Raven, Curracloe, Wexford and darting to the left out of the forest on to the most glorious golden beach, stopping to catch your breath and just taking it all in.
    I miss there being a bit of hope in the country rather than wall to wall misery!

And yes i miss a pint too, sitting off in a quite corner with a few friends watching the Guinness settle knowing for a few hours the deeds of the past will be greatly exaggerated by all for our own enjoyment and that everything is possible in the future, for that few hours of laughing and having the craic every other worry just evaporates.

But i miss people and all that goes with it and i miss hope because in reality its hard to come by these days with the 24hr wall to wall misery in this country.

Ironically ive probably never been better off in terms of having money to spend etc but practically speaking in terms of life ive never been poorer.

Great post. You did a much better job of it than I could do however I miss the “people “ things too.

I miss a simple game of golf and the battle for the fiver.
    Can’t understand why it’s not allowed. Safest place you could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

I miss a simple game of golf and the battle for the fiver.
    Can’t understand why it’s not allowed. Safest place you could be.

The risk of touching someone else's ball in the hole is a definite covid risk

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I miss hopping in the car on a Sunday and going where we please , in for coffee when we choose and on to some random beach .Then into somewhere nice for a lunch and a sit down .

I miss my family so badly and would love to hop on a plane tomorrow and see them

I miss taking grandchildren to the National Stud, or cinema , or to a petting farm or simply out for the day and find somewhere exciting

I miss my friends popping over for a coffee and a chat and I misss my nights out with my friends with dinner and chats and laughs

I miss so many moments

I see the National Stud is closed because someone complained to the gardai that there were too many people walking around it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

I miss the raw excitement of having wild sex with total strangers.

Lol. Just kidding. Actually I miss going to the cafe in the morning to read the newspaper. That's how dull my life was haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭sporina

no one has any news... i feel the need to make stuff up.. :eek:

life feels v v stagnant at the mo... v much so... strange feeling..

some of my mates and I have started a movie club of sorts - just so that we can have something to talk about..

I use to miss going for coffee with mates but as it is, we would have feck all to talk about..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

mike_ie wrote: »
    Mod: ReginaldSmythV - banned from the thread.
    not the 1st time I've seen that action taken against that person...

-Going to matches weather its the goosebumps of the roar of a packed stand/stadium or the craic at a local club game
    - The spontaneity of impluse like deciding at 7 on a Saturday to go for pints, waking up at the weekend and randomly going for a drive or simply calling to 1 of my siblings houses close by.
    -the gym for social aspect as much as training to be honest as i still go for runs and do some home workouts
    - Friends and family in other counties
    - not having to be so conscious of your behaviour if your out and about

I consider myself lucky in that ive been able to work from home sense March, no stress of bringing it from the workplace to my elderly parents who i live with and at age 32 reasonably well equipped mentality to deal with the events of the last year.

Obviously the people you'd worry about most is those most susceptible to the virus but 1 age bracket I feel terrible for is those aged 18-24 their missing the best years of their lifes, if this occurred when I was in college I'd be heartbroken missing out on a J1 and music festivals which I experinced and loved at that age, most of my closet friends now are people I met in 3rd level education.

I see the National Stud is closed because someone complained to the gardai that there were too many people walking around it :rolleyes:
    those people are an absolute disgrace...

those people are an absolute disgrace...

Think the gardai would have had a bit of common sense and let them stay open. I am hearing a lot of elderly people used it as it was in there 5km radius and it was safe to walk

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

travel.....

the only travel i do right now is on youtube or in my mind ......

sitting outside with a beverage in my hand, with the sun on my face and my hair blowing in the wind, the sound of the ocean and the scent of suntan lotion in the air......

the freedom to do this or to do that

walking outside and passing people without feeling like I am going to catch COVID

making plans without having to cancel them

seeing my family

seeing my friends

i miss not worrying about how much longer I have to see the people in my life in case it all just goes away

and the bliss of knowing anything is possible (because right now it is not)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Think the gardai would have had a bit of common sense and let them stay open. I am hearing a lot of elderly people used it as it was in there 5km radius and it was safe to walk

Outdoor amenities should be fair game. Urban parks are pretty much always uncomfortably crowded these days yet there is loads of countryside/beaches/parkland more than 5km outside urban areas that would be a lot safer that is out of bounds and patrolled by gardai. The stupidity of this lockdown is staggering.

Meanwhile the house parties still continue, all kinds of shyte gets called "essential" work and drags people to attend unsafe workplaces and we scratch our heads and wonder why the numbers won't go down. The answer? Eh, durr another few months lockdown of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,461 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Going to matches, concerts, events etc

going to the pub for planned and spontaneous pints

travelling and having the option of doing it

browsing retail

• Advertisement

Outdoor amenities should be fair game. Urban parks are pretty much always uncomfortably crowded these days yet there is loads of countryside/beaches/parkland more than 5km outside urban areas that would be a lot safer that is out of bounds and patrolled by gardai. The stupidity of this lockdown is staggering.

Meanwhile the house parties still continue, all kinds of shyte gets called "essential" work and drags people to attend unsafe workplaces and we scratch our heads and wonder why the numbers won't go down. The answer? Eh, durr another few months lockdown of course.
    sure look at the health minister we have and the trump like stunt he tried to manipulate at the press conference yesterday.

the kelt wrote: »
    I miss people and all that goes with it.

But of course according to numerous genii on here "pffft, people just want to go to the pub"

Everything i miss is all to do with people:

I miss family and friends
    I miss old members of family i havent seen in months
    I miss new members of family ive never got to meet
    I miss seeing my kids happily playing with their friends
    I miss my kids birthday parties
    I hate seeing my kids crying through a lack of social interaction with friends
    I miss seeing them being happier (was praying for snow to give them a release lately)
    I miss the dressing room banter
    I miss the office gossip
    I miss talking to friends i know are struggling more than me but wont answer the phone
    I miss fish and chips in Kilmore Quay steaming up the windscreen as we park at the harbour looking out to sea
    I miss being a literal hurler on the ditch
    I miss my adventure races
    I miss selling club lotto tickets using it as an excuse to call in and have an old chat
    I miss sunday day trips to wherever
    I miss "whats for dinner? sure feck it we'll go out and get something for a change"
    I miss being able to buy clothes in a shop even though i hate shopping!
    I miss the roar of a crowd and how it can make the hair stand on the back of your neck
    I miss running the forest in the Raven, Curracloe, Wexford and darting to the left out of the forest on to the most glorious golden beach, stopping to catch your breath and just taking it all in.
    I miss there being a bit of hope in the country rather than wall to wall misery!

And yes i miss a pint too, sitting off in a quite corner with a few friends watching the Guinness settle knowing for a few hours the deeds of the past will be greatly exaggerated by all for our own enjoyment and that everything is possible in the future, for that few hours of laughing and having the craic every other worry just evaporates.

But i miss people and all that goes with it and i miss hope because in reality its hard to come by these days with the 24hr wall to wall misery in this country.

Ironically ive probably never been better off in terms of having money to spend etc but practically speaking in terms of life ive never been poorer.
    heartbreaking but as a fellow yellow belly love it too...

Car99 wrote: »
    The risk of touching someone else's ball in the hole is a definite covid risk

That doesn’t happen now and you don’t even touch the flag either.
    You only touch your own equipment.
    No shaking hands after a round either
    Perfectly safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

With not much of a social life anyway because of 3 kids so I actually miss softplay:pac:

Somewhere for the 3 year old to run off all his energy and I can get a coffee in peace!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I miss going to concerts.
    I miss my yearly holidays and I not worrying about picking up diseases.
    I miss eating out.
    I miss going up and down the country during the weekends.
    I miss going to the cinema.
    I miss doing a full day's shopping, walking in and out of shops.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I miss going to concerts.
    I miss my yearly holidays and I not worrying about picking up diseases.
    I miss eating out.
    I miss going up and down the country during the weekends.
    I miss going to the cinema.
    I miss doing a full day's shopping, walking in and out of shops.

It was a year and a half ago since my last concert.
    A year and half ago since my last holiday.
    It's been a year since I last properly ate out (unless you count the time before Christmas where I really did eat out. Outside in a tent covered space from a cafe)

It's been over a year since I've travelled Ireland.

It's been a year since my last cinema outing and it's been a year since my last shopping day, walking in and out of shops.

So this is what's it's like living with the virus? God forbid we look at countries doing well, that's not allowed. The miserable life is more preferable here, I don't know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,632 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

What I really miss doing?

Waking up and the first thing on my mind not being 'ah fvck'.

Advertisement