Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land of the brave

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Have US cops got a screw loose? Pepper spraying a nine year old black girl. FFS. Makes me angry to see this.
    https://news.sky.com/story/nine-year-old-black-girl-begged-us-police-for-help-after-being-pepper-sprayed-new-video-reveals-12215742

The officers who did that need to be seriously punished. But the article here is a clear attempt to stir up racial tension and anger towards US police in general. This is two assholes abusing their position to mistreat a child, no reason to paint it as US police vs black people.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think Morgan Freeman said it best to a white journalist when he said if you want to help ease tension stop bringing up skin colour at every opportunity.

Have US cops got a screw loose? Pepper spraying a nine year old black girl. FFS. Makes me angry to see this.
    https://news.sky.com/story/nine-year-old-black-girl-begged-us-police-for-help-after-being-pepper-sprayed-new-video-reveals-12215742

Why does it matter what colour her skin is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I thought judging a large group of people based on the actions of a few was bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I thought judging a large group of people based on the actions of a few was bad?

The police union represents the many. Lest see how they handle it. Do they say “yes, they officers did something terrible and need to be punished appropriately” or do they say it was absolutely the justifies course of action under the circumstances.

Because the second answer would fold it back on the whole organisation as defending their behaviour as appropriate.

They had had her in the car, she was no danger to them, they were just cross with her and wanted to punish her so they caused her pain with the pepper spray. They could have just punched her and had the same effect.

Americans love a bit of cruelty. Loads of people will defend this behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

The police union represents the many. Lest see how they handle it. Do they say “yes, they officers did something terrible and need to be punished appropriately” or do they say it was absolutely the justifies course of action under the circumstances.

Because the second answer would fold it back on the whole organisation as defending their behaviour as appropriate.

They had had her in the car, she was no danger to them, they were just cross with her and wanted to punish her so they caused her pain with the pepper spray. They could have just punched her and had the same effect.

Americans love a bit of cruelty. Loads of pepper will defend this behaviour.

Americans love a bit of cruelty? All Americans? All black Americans?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Americans love a bit of cruelty. Loads of pepper will defend this behaviour.
    Unsurprisingly the police union defended their actions saying the outcome could've been worse

She should be thankful they didn't shoot her I suppose icon14.png

Americans love a bit of cruelty? All Americans? All black Americans?

I take that bit back.

See the rest of the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

That 9 year old child must have some serious strength that two grown men couldn't subdue her without the use of pepper spray. Could have been worse, taser or bullet comes to mind.

That 9 year old child must have some serious strength that two grown men couldn't subdue her without the use of pepper spray. Could have been worse, taser or bullet comes to mind.

The idea of just calming her down didn’t seem to be seriously explored. Talking over someone in distress just prolongs the distress.

But they had the child in handcuffs and in the car. Why peppers spray them at that point except to cause them pain? Cruel behaviour and plenty will defend them.

• Advertisement

The idea of just calming her down didn’t seem to be seriously explored. Talking over someone in distress just prolongs the distress.

But they had the child in handcuffs and in the car. Why peppers spray them at that point except to cause them pain? Cruel behaviour and plenty will defend them.

wtf

Why are they handcuffing children

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭randd1

Whatever your viewpoint is, I think we can all agree that pepper spraying a 9 year old that's already being placed in a police car (a crazy enough reaction in itself) is a completely mental thing to do for a trained police officer.

America is ****ed.

wtf

Poor training and lack or resources, lack of consequences for poor behaviour.

I would bet heavily that this didn’t happen to the child of wealthy parents or in a prestigious school or in a wealthy neighbourhood. People from different class to be policed differently in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,852 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I think Morgan Freeman said it best to a white journalist when he said if you want to help ease tension stop bringing up skin colour at every opportunity.

are you sure that wasn't Nelson Mandela?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/billboard-confuses-nelson-mandela-hollywood-actor-morgan-freeman-9018633.html

wtf

It seems to be acceptable in certain PD's in the states until a fuss is kicked up.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/27/us/orlando-6-year-old-arrested.html

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yeah, cos this is the first negative issue involving the police in America that has come up..................

randd1 wrote: »
    I think we can all agree that pepper spraying a 9 year old that's already being placed in a police car (a crazy enough reaction in itself) is a completely mental thing to do for a trained police officer.

Is this your first visit?

The "she could have ha a machete or an M-16 in her pocket" crew havnt even arrived yet.

Poor training and lack or resources,

Its way beyond "poor training" and deep in to training that actively encourages violence and tells them that everyone is trying to kill them.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/the-man-who-teaches-our-cops-63257870/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Yeah, cos this is the first negative issue involving the police[insert group] in America[location] that has come up..................

Probably not the best way of marshalling your argument.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Wii776

I've a daughter about that age, and I am amazed at how poorly trained the police seem to be to deal with this.
    Actually amazed that they felt they had to use pepper spray on an unruly child.
    Not sure it's a race thing though.

Wii776 wrote: »
    I've a daughter about that age, and I am amazed at how poorly trained the police seem to be to deal with this.
    Actually amazed that they felt they had to use pepper spray on an unruly child.

I had a look at some of the online video footage. The child was in the Police car with her hands cuffed behind back when the female police officer shook her can of pepper spray and sprayed it directly into her face informing the child she did it to herself.
    What I found amazing was one police officer telling her to 'stop behaving like a child' her response was 'i am a child'. Incredible that a grown man failed to look upon a 9 year old as a child.
    It's not reactionary but the police officers involved have no business being involved in the policing of any community. The Rochdale PD has a poor history of community relations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

When you think of all the recent protests and controversies, race-related or not, about police brutality and over-eagerness to take physical action, incidents like this make you realise just how deeply ingrained the police officers' mentality must be.

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Probably not the best way of marshalling your argument.....

See, this comes up every time police violence is mentioned.

If the best argument you can come up with is that the police are no better than the groups that you consider criminals, then theres something wrong and its definitely not painting them in a good light with right thinking people......

Wii776 wrote: »

The police in America were founded as slave catchers for private slave owners whose slaves escaped.

It still attracts large amounts of a certain type to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

See, this comes up every time police violence is mentioned.

If the best argument you can come up with is that the police are no better than the groups that you consider criminals, then theres something wrong and its definitely not painting them in a good light with right thinking people......

If anyone said that in relation to another group they'd get flack for it, thats a fact.
    I agree these officers have no business in the job if these reports are correct.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭notabogsnotion

Have any of you seen this video? This is the reality for some black people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coryt8IZ-DE

I'm in a vulnerable group (mental health issues) and I would be banned from this site for making up bull****e if I was to recount things that the UK police have done to me.

In my opinion, some people are quite simply evil.

Give them power over vulnerable people and they will abuse that power. I've experienced all sorts of **** from black people too. The good, the bad and the ugly are within that race also.

People in power in Ireland have a damnable reputation. The church, The British, parents, the gardai and dare I say it - men. If you give some nasty assed <bleep> power, they will abuse it.

Black people in America do appear to get a disproportionate amount of abuse however.

Have any of you seen this video? This is the reality for some black people.

That's too much. Verging on the category of "loada bollix".

Adult telling a child that if the cop pulls them over while driving, not to be cheeky "because you are black".

The issue might be as much due the fact that they have to explain to the child in the first case not to be cheeky.

Divisive shite and terrible to be indoctrinating victim complexes into kids.

That's too much. Verging on the category of "loada bollix".

Adult telling a child that if the cop pulls them over while driving, not to be cheeky "because you are black".

The issue might be as much due the fact that they have to explain to the child in the first case not to be cheeky.

Divisive shite and terrible to be indoctrinating victim complexes into kids.

Spoken from a position of white privilege where the truth is too uncomfortable to believe.

Spoken from a position of white privilege where the truth is too uncomfortable to believe.

G'way outta that.

Ebun Joseph is selling modern day indulgences to help you get rid of your white guilt and help you to get into heaven if you wanna be scammed partake!

Imagine having to tell a child to fucking behave themselves. And then implying that the only reason they should behave is that they are a lesser person due to their skin colour.

• Advertisement

Here is an incident where they pulled over the only black female state attorney in Florida. ****ed up a bit there lol

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/black-woman-pulled-over-video-police-state-attorney-aramis-ayala-wants-talk-florida-a7841516.html

Advertisement