Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land of the brave

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

Boards.ie has a demographic of a lot of white, male posters. You are not remotely qualified to speak about the marginalised, vulnerable or persecuted.

There are no marginalised, vulnerable, or persecuted white males?

Who knew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Parents should teach there kids not be doing stuff where they need to be arrested ?

Also if they happen to be arrested just comply with the Police its easier for everyone ,

Ah here , are you seriously trying to justify the pepper spraying of a child already in handcuffs?

paw patrol wrote: »
    poor training eh?
    Surely not that training the NYPD get off the Israeli's . The Israeli's know how to deal with kids ....oh...right.

Poor training and lack of resources. Not directed at you paw patrol, but give me a f**king break. Thats the same excuse we have been hearing from our own police for years. It shouldn't wash with anyone anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Black people in the US are vulnerable and marginalised - usually due to poverty and societal issues. Delude yourself that they are treated fairly.

You are not remotely qualified to speak about the marginalised, vulnerable or persecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

bubblypop wrote: »
    Why does it matter what colour her skin is?
    Why indeed, but it's from the article title. Clickbait I presume.

• Advertisement

“A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members.” Mahatma Ghandi.

By that measure, neither the US nor Ireland can stand up and be proud.

Ireland has prehaps the most generous Social Welfare system in Europe which protects the weakest in society, so personally I think you are talking bollix best reserved for the Student Union cafe.

Actually I am honeybunch.

No, I decided for you. Just like you decided for other people.

Actually I am honeybunch.

Of course you are, no one tells lies on an anonymous internet forum.

Of course you are, no one tells lies on an anonymous internet forum.

Especially someone who just signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

"Defund the police" was a stupid and incendiary slogan, but the argument for funding other organisations who will at whatever the scene is with better training and resources than pepper spray and a willingness to use it makes perfect sense to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

biko wrote: »
    Why indeed, but it's from the article title. Clickbait I presume.

Race baiting.

WrenBoy wrote: »
    The trolling works better if you pick one subject or target at a time and not this gatling gun approach.

He's kind of all over the place alright. First it was the oppressed black community now it's the British taxing us.
    Poor attempt 1/ 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

He's kind of all over the place alright. First it was the oppressed black community now it's the British taxing us.
    Poor attempt 1/ 10

You must be in a good mood today to score that a 1. What did he do earn that? Turn up?

Best travel over to the conspiracy theories forum.

Well documented , best to educate yourself first.
    Anyway is this your first time trolling? It's rather a poor attempt if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Have US cops got a screw loose? Pepper spraying a nine year old black girl. FFS. Makes me angry to see this.
    https://news.sky.com/story/nine-year-old-black-girl-begged-us-police-for-help-after-being-pepper-sprayed-new-video-reveals-12215742

I agree. That's outrageous. What sort of brutes do they have in the police over there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

How can you derive that from my comment? Were you out sick the day they did set theory at your school?
    Anyway, show me another video of a nine year old white girl being pepper-sprayed, or a white man being choked to death by an police officer in broad daylight.
    Or a white man who has already served 25 years of a 60 year sentence without parole ....for selling weed.
    Not many white versions of those cases around in "the land of the free".
    First, the stories. Each story in this paragraph involves a police officer killing an unarmed white person. (To demonstrate how commonly this happens, I have taken all of them from a single year, 2015, chosen at random). Timothy Smith was killed by a police officer who mistakenly thought he was reaching into his waistband to grab a gun; the shooting was ruled justified. William Lemmon was killed after he allegedly failed to show his hands upon request; the shooting was ruled justified. Ryan Bolinger was shot dead by a cop who said he was moving strangely and walking toward her; the shooting was ruled justified. Derek Cruice was shot in the face after he opened the door for police officers serving a warrant for a drug arrest; the cops recovered marijuana from the property, and the shooting was ruled justified. Daniel Elrod robbed a dollar store, and, when confronted by police, allegedly failed to raise his hands upon request (though his widow, who witnessed the event, insists otherwise); he was shot dead. No criminal charges were filed. Ralph Willis was shot dead when officers mistakenly thought that he was reaching for a gun. David Cassick was shot twice in the back by a police officer while lying face down on the ground. Six-year-old Jeremy Mardis was killed by a police officer while sitting in the passenger seat of a car; the officer’s intended target was Jeremy’s father, who was sitting in the driver’s seat with his hands raised out the window. Autumn Steele was shot dead when a police officer, startled by her German shepherd, immediately fired his weapon at the animal, catching her in the crossfire. Shortly after he killed her, bodycam footage revealed the officer’s despair: “I’m f
    going to prison,” he says. The officer was not disciplined.

For brevity’s sake, I will stop here. But the list goes on.

For every black person killed by the police, there is at least one white person (usually many) killed in a similar way. The day before cops in Louisville barged into Breonna Taylor’s home and killed her, cops barged into the home of a white man named Duncan Lemp, killed him, and wounded his girlfriend (who was sleeping beside him). Even George Floyd, whose death was particularly brutal, has a white counterpart: Tony Timpa. Timpa was killed in 2016 by a Dallas police officer who used his knee to pin Timpa to the ground (face down) for 13 minutes. In the video, you can hear Timpa whimpering and begging to be let go. After he lets out his final breaths, the officers begin cracking jokes about him. Criminal charges initially brought against them were later dropped.

How many of those names did you know? Now I'm going to guess none. Now ask yourself why that may be?

In the above you've got a 6 year old being shot, and a man who died after a cop had his knee on the person's neck. The video can be seen in this article.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/02/us/dallas-police-body-cam-footage-captures-death/index.html

I hope this answers your questions.

https://www.city-journal.org/reflections-on-race-riots-and-police

Did you know of this case?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Kelly_Thomas

I'll assume you didn't. Why do you think it wasn't international news? Had he been black I would hypothesize it would've been. Look at the picture of him lying in the hospital. It was described as one of the worst incidents of police brutality and it happened to a white person.

The police in the OP should sacked immediately and have charges of assault brought against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

'First, the stories. Each story in this paragraph involves a police officer killing an unarmed white person. (To demonstrate how commonly this happens, I have taken all of them from a single year, 2015, chosen at random). Timothy Smith was killed by a police officer who mistakenly thought he was reaching into his waistband to grab a gun; the shooting was ruled justified. William Lemmon was killed after he allegedly failed to show his hands upon request; the shooting was ruled justified. Ryan Bolinger was shot dead by a cop who said he was moving strangely and walking toward her; the shooting was ruled justified. Derek Cruice was shot in the face after he opened the door for police officers serving a warrant for a drug arrest; the cops recovered marijuana from the property, and the shooting was ruled justified. Daniel Elrod robbed a dollar store, and, when confronted by police, allegedly failed to raise his hands upon request (though his widow, who witnessed the event, insists otherwise); he was shot dead. No criminal charges were filed. Ralph Willis was shot dead when officers mistakenly thought that he was reaching for a gun. David Cassick was shot twice in the back by a police officer while lying face down on the ground. Six-year-old Jeremy Mardis was killed by a police officer while sitting in the passenger seat of a car; the officer’s intended target was Jeremy’s father, who was sitting in the driver’s seat with his hands raised out the window. Autumn Steele was shot dead when a police officer, startled by her German shepherd, immediately fired his weapon at the animal, catching her in the crossfire. Shortly after he killed her, bodycam footage revealed the officer’s despair: “I’m f
    going to prison,” he says. The officer was not disciplined.

For brevity’s sake, I will stop here. But the list goes on.

For every black person killed by the police, there is at least one white person (usually many) killed in a similar way. The day before cops in Louisville barged into Breonna Taylor’s home and killed her, cops barged into the home of a white man named Duncan Lemp, killed him, and wounded his girlfriend (who was sleeping beside him). Even George Floyd, whose death was particularly brutal, has a white counterpart: Tony Timpa. Timpa was killed in 2016 by a Dallas police officer who used his knee to pin Timpa to the ground (face down) for 13 minutes. In the video, you can hear Timpa whimpering and begging to be let go. After he lets out his final breaths, the officers begin cracking jokes about him. Criminal charges initially brought against them were later dropped.'

How many of those names did you know? Now I'm going to guess none. Now ask yourself why that may be?

In the above you've got a 6 year old being shot, and a man who died after a cop had his knee on the person's neck. The video can be seen in this article.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/02/us/dallas-police-body-cam-footage-captures-death/index.html

I hope this answers your questions.

https://www.city-journal.org/reflections-on-race-riots-and-police

Did you know of this case?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Kelly_Thomas

I'll assume you didn't. Why do you think it wasn't international news? Had he been black I would hypothesize it would've been. Look at the picture of him lying in the hospital. It was described as one of the worst incidents of police brutality and it happened to a white person.

The police in the OP should sacked immediately and have charges of assault brought against them.

But only 13% of the USA population are African American, while 60% of the population are Caucasian.
    Meanwhile, there are 5 times more African Americans than Caucasian's in US prisons per head of population.
    Is criminality 5 times more rife in the black community than the Caucasian community? I doubt it.

Wii776 wrote: »
    I've a daughter about that age, and I am amazed at how poorly trained the police seem to be to deal with this.
    Actually amazed that they felt they had to use pepper spray on an unruly child.
    Not sure it's a race thing though.

It's blind incompetence. You can't blame lack of training for people being so stupid. They are not fit to be in the police end of story, regardless of their training.

bubblypop wrote: »
    How do you know it was?
    Jumped to conclusions, without waiting for an investigation.

Much the same way as people jumped to conclusions with the recent garda shooting.
    The incidents need to be investigated, find out what happened exactly, was it justified and legal?
    If not, then reasons why are investigated.

Absolutely spot on.

But only 13% of the USA population are African American, while 60% of the population are Caucasian.
    Meanwhile, there are 5 times more African Americans than Caucasian's in US prisons per head of population.
    Is criminality 5 times more rife in the black community than the Caucasian community? I doubt it.

Why didn't you answer my questions? I will answer yours after you answer mine.

Why is it that none of those cases were international news? Why is it, do you think, that you are unaware of any of those cases, particularly, lets say, the Tony Timpa one?

Would you suggest it's anything to do with the media there trying to cash in on portraying a certain narrative, for example?

• Advertisement

randd1 wrote: »
    Who is? You? Me? It's amazing how often you see on social media white people telling other white people they don't what it is to be black, as if they have a clue themselves.

It's also curious as to mentality as to why white people are not supposed to comment on matter relating to black people. Should we ban black, Asians or other non white people from having an opinion on predominantly white problems?

To be honest I'd be thinking that regardless of their qualifications or their skin colour they are allowed to have an opinion on the matter.

Besides, I think you're in for perpetual disappointment if you're relying on an internet forum for a discussion involving people with the precise necessary qualifications on the matter in question.

No one is more oppressed than the Irish, 800 years of occupation, on third of the population died of starvation one third emigrated. Followed by the troubles. Can’t lecture us.

RandRuns wrote: »
    More than a third of America's largest cities have black mayors.
    Over 13% of Congressmen are black.
    15.5% of US police officers are black.

For 40% of the current century, America has had a black president.

On the back of the population only being 13% black, your contention is laughably wrong.

Why are there 5 times more blacks than Caucasians in US prisons per capita?

Because they are 5 times more likely to be convicted of a crime?

I thought that would be fairly obvious.

There are/could be numerous reasons. More likely to commit crime (for whatever reasons), less likely to be able to post bail which gives higher incentive to plead guilty (as generally poorer), have higher recidivism rates (which leads to longer sentences of re-conviction), are likely to receive longer sentences than white people to begin with (as far as I'm aware).

Because they are 5 times more likely to be convicted of a crime?

I thought that would be fairly obvious.

But why are they 5 times more likely to be convicted of a crime, everything being equal?
    The "R" word, more than likely?

But why are they 5 times more likely to be convicted of a crime, everything being equal?

How would I know, I'm not an American criminal statistician.

I'm pretty sure you have a theory, I can feel the eagerness to share from here, so why don't you tell the class?

The "R" word, more than likely?

Nice edit :D

Nice edit :D

Thanks.

Thanks.

So your completely uncorrobrated contention is that black people are 5 times more likely to end up in jail because of racism?

• Advertisement

So your completely uncorrobrated contention is that black people are 5 times more likely to end up in jail because of racism?

So how do you explain it then?

Advertisement