Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading bike.

Options
  • 16-02-2021 6:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭

I currently have a merida scultura 300 which I've owned the last 2 years. Great bike and has served me well but I'm now looking to upgrade (surprised I lasted 2 years!). The bike is also slightly too big for me which leads to backache on the longer rides.

Not sure where to go, choice is huge, although stock is low of course. Max budget is 3.5k but hoping to keep it under 3 if possible. The cannondale super six evo had caught my eye, not sure why, but saw some good reviews. Would that be too race oriented as I like to push myself but not the fastest by any means? Maybe the synapse instead? Bearing in mind I won't be able to try the bike as I will most likely be buying online.

Advice and other recommendations appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

If one of the reasons your upgrading is because the merida is too big I'd be waiting to sit on a bike to make sure it's the right size. Lot of money to spend if your not 100% sure of size, you can have the best bike in the world but if it doesn't fit right it's no use. There is some movement with stems and bars to get a fit right but ideally it wouldn't be too far off from new without the changes.

Supersix is a lovely bike and is a race bike, but probably not as extreme as some race bikes, front end is little higher than most of same size. Synapse is a lovely bike too! Don't think because it's labeled an endurance bike that it won't be fast, pretty sure that bike is used is some of the cobbled races.

But if it were me and I was a little unsure about sizing, I'd wait until I can sit on the bike and see how it fits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

going from a merida scultura 300 to 3k is quite a jump!
    why not get two bikes, one for the road, and a more adventure oriented one? 2k would get you a fine road bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,391 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

was tempted by the super six myself but managed to pick up a synapse di2 for 2,8k a year ago (2019 model) lovely bike , well apart form the bb30 bottom bracket - skf bearings now seem to be a lot better, wheels arent great on it so will probably look to upgrade them at some point.

dont like the look of the new supersix either

price of bikes has gone mental though my bike is an rrp of 4.5k at the moment

i was lucky in that my previous bike fit so i just compared frame geometry on https://geometrygeeks.bike/

and a 54 cannondale is almost the same as my 56cm focus

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

The biggest upgrade you can probably make is a proper bike fit. Ideally if you are buying a bike the best thing you can do to help make your mind up is again a bike fit which should help you decide your sizing etc. Also a little bit of core work worls wonders on your on bike position.
    If your saying you want to push the bike, theres no need for an endurance orientated bike imo. Firstly aero bikes being sold come with an array of headset spacers so its not exactly like you need to be a pro to ride one and secondly with disc brakes most bikes fit wide tyres which make the biggest difference to comfort.
    Then other things to consider rim vs disc brakes. Rim brakes lighter and cheaper and work perfectly fine, the difference between the two isnt exactly like as big as v brakes and mtb disc brakes but disc brakes are definitely better at stopping.
    Di2 vs mechanical.
    And the other thing is to consider at that budget is do you want a bike with a nicer frame and cheaper components something like the scott addict rc gives you pretty much the pro level frame for 3000. Or a cheaper frame with much nicer components like an alloy bike with dura ace carbon wheels, bars etc.
    You could look and see whats second hand and perhaps find a bargain however the used market is particularly bad atm

As above as well as scarcity of bikes theres been ridiculous increase in prices this year as well, partially due to shimano etc increasing component prices so its across most brands although some more than others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Some nice Cubes here with availability from end of March. Mate bought one last month when they were in stock and it was delivered in a week

https://www.mhw-bike.com/cube-agree-c-62-race-carbon-n-white-2021-road-bike-carbon-men-160578

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Wailin

Neglected to mention i had a bike fit by Aiden Hammond on the scultura as I was getting back pain. He shortened the stem and made a few other adjustments but the main issue was the bike was slightly too big. It's a 56 and he said a 54 would be perfect for me (175cm and 85kg). The bike fit reduced the back pain a lot alright.

I know what size I need and am comfortable buying online. I also do a lot of mtb and have a full suspension bike so I don't need two road bikes. I sat on the scultura before buying and it felt spot on so testing the bike not always ideal either. Issues only show up on long cycles.

Thanks for the tips so far guys. I'm thinking of going with a more endurance style bike now to be honest. Giant defy or trek demond along with the synapse are contenders. What are bianchi bikes like?

Whyner wrote: »
    Some nice Cubes here with availability from end of March. Mate bought one last month when they were in stock and it was delivered in a week

https://www.mhw-bike.com/cube-agree-c-62-race-carbon-n-white-2021-road-bike-carbon-men-160578

Those cubes look great and price seems very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I was also in a simlilar situation last year and went with a defy advanced 2 2020.
    I was looking at cannodales also but read up about them. Loads of bb issues with them.
    There are a few of them in cycle superstore, some 5 odd k and the build quality of them is awful. The joints and paint, basic finish I thought was shocking for what you're paying. Go in and have a look and you'll notice what I'm saying straight away. On one particular bike, I seen the paint go up over into the Allen key nut. It was like Stevie wonder painted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

There's a rim brake Ultegra SuperSix Evo (the old model) in a bike shop I follow on Facebook in the Netherlands for only 1499. Only for I've no need for it, it'd be on the way to me already. It's an LBS so not sure if delivery is an option and the guy's English isn't the greatest.

If it was me, I'd buy something like that (lightweight, Ultegra, rim brake, upgrade the wheelset) as the summer bike, and something with 105, hydraulic discs, wide tire clearance and endurance geometry as the winter bike (e.g. my 2018 Synapse (carbon disc 105) cost me 1199€ new - different times I know but I do still see the odd bargain popping up)

• Advertisement

Wailin wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips so far guys. I'm thinking of going with a more endurance style bike now to be honest. Giant defy or trek demond along with the synapse are contenders. What are bianchi bikes like?

Bianchi is a more of a designer brand, so its more appealing definitely but in terms of quality its no better than any of the other brands and afaik giant makes them.
    If youre looking for an endurance style bike this roubaix is on a nice discount https://www.bike24.com/p2405679.html?menu=1000,173,157 3600 so appreciate its overbudget, but in the 2-3k price range its hard to find a bargain yet alone a bike canyon enduraces for example are sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

+1 on the bargains. Be patient and a bit flexible and keep an eye out.

I find the asking prices for bikes at the moment to be eye watering. I wouldn’t be rushing to hand over my money too readily

byrnem31 wrote: »
    I was also in a simlilar situation last year and went with a defy advanced 2 2020.
    I was looking at cannodales also but read up about them. Loads of bb issues with them.
    There are a few of them in cycle superstore, some 5 odd k and the build quality of them is awful. The joints and paint, basic finish I thought was shocking for what you're paying. Go in and have a look and you'll notice what I'm saying straight away. On one particular bike, I seen the paint go up over into the Allen key nut. It was like Stevie wonder painted it.

Surprised at this to be honest. Watched this video earlier and build quality looks top class.

Tony04 wrote: »
    Bianchi is a more of a designer brand, so its more appealing definitely but in terms of quality its no better than any of the other brands and afaik giant makes them.
    If youre looking for an endurance style bike this roubaix is on a nice discount https://www.bike24.com/p2405679.html?menu=1000,173,157 3600 so appreciate its overbudget, but in the 2-3k price range its hard to find a bargain yet alone a bike canyon enduraces for example are sold out.

Cheers Tony but I'd prefer rim brakes, I think the disc brakes are best left on mtb bikes imo. Also, I would not like that 20mm fork suspension either on a road bike. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Surprised at this to be honest. Watched this video earlier and build quality looks top class.

I've had two Cannondales (a Synapse and a CAAD12) and don't see any issue at all with paint finish or welding etc. The Synapse still looks great after three years and I'd buy the CAAD1# back if given the chance. You do hear complaints about the BB but mine hasn't caused any hassle

What's the problem with the bb? Bearings?

Creaking noises

Thoughts on this bike? Has the disc brakes but hard to find one with the rim brakes.

https://www.bike24.com/p2393970.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Thoughts on this bike? Has the disc brakes but hard to find one with the rim brakes.

https://www.bike24.com/p2393970.html

Very nice bike in fairness. Hard to beat a TCR. If you're happy with rim brakes (excellent choice :)) it could be worth calling around the bike shops for something in stock. You might get lucky.

I have the 2020 version of the TCR. There are a few differences in the photo and the spec (photo has full Ultegra cranks vs. the cheaper Shimano ones in the spec), photo has PR2 Giant wheels while the spec has carbon 42mm wheels which are probably an 800-1000€ wheelset. I still think Giant have the most value / balance of big brand vs. spec. (and I've owned Canyon, Cannondale, Genesis and Cube in the last few years).

I think you'd find the same price in store though and might get a service or a few accessories thrown in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

byrnem31 wrote: »
    How are you finding that, Im probably going to go with one of them for my B2W this year, love the black/orange look and there are still some to be had around most importantly.

Thargor wrote: »
    How are you finding that, Im probably going to go with one of them for my B2W this year, love the black/orange look and there are still some to be had around most importantly.

Its a beautiful bike. I upgraded the wheels to hunt aero 33s and it added to the comfort of the bike even more. It glides along the road and flys uphills. It has clearance for I'd reckon 40cc tyres, I have a set of 38s on the stock wheels as when I want to go gravel riding, I swap the carbons out for the stock wheels and it turns the bike into a gravel bike. After I'm done gravel riding, I stick the carbons back on and it's a road bike.

I use it for everything, commuting to work and weekend spins. Its an all rounder 6/7 days a week. The car is sitting in the driveway since I bought it most days. Full sks 45 blumell mudguards keep me dry. No road buzz at all even with the stock wheels with d fuse technology front and rear. I don't need another bike for a long time.

Thargor wrote: »

The black orange is stunning looking too and better when in front of you. She works nights so I bring the bike inside, she won't let me when she's here. I leave it in the sitting room and stare at it for a while in disbelief that I own it. I have a problem I know but it's a healthy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Roca Sports in Cork have the Wilier Cento 10 SL rim brake with Ultegra for €3100. Lot of bike for the price. Wheels might need an upgrade but other than that you'd have a lovely bike.

Thanks but it's probably a bit too aero style for me. I'm looking for a bit more of a relaxed enduro style bike like the giant defy advanced or trek domane. I reckon being stretched out on the more race oriented bikes may give me some low back trouble unfortunately.

Imo you shouldnt limit yourself to an endurance style bike specifically. If you look at endurance bikes like defy and all round lighter climbing bikes like the tcr the stack and reach is pretty similar and that is what really determines how low your go on the bike.
    Bike manufacturers are not selling, for the most part, their 10k aero bikes to 17 year old juniors so they are not going to design a bike thats going to be uncomfortable for most of it customers so you have plenty of spacers and plenty of room for an upright position. Tbf i guess have an aero bike with a load of spacers kind of defeats the purpose but to the rider it would still be relatively faster. Some aero bikes like the merida reacto are designed for comfort as much as aeroness.
    In your case it seems youve just had a bad experience with a bike thats to big. With big bikes you may be able to have a low saddle and fit on it but the reach is still going to be to long and hard on your back.

In your case it seems youve just had a bad experience with a bike thats to big. With big bikes you may be able to have a low saddle and fit on it but the reach is still going to be to long and hard on your back.

Makes sense Tony, I would hate to limit myself to just endurance style bikes. I think when I had the bike fit with Aiden, he may have gotten the bike size wrong. He has it sized at 56cm and said a 54 would be better for me. But looking at merida website sizing for my bike ( M/L), that appears to be a 54cm. I'm 175cm (5' 9"). Anyone of similar height care to jump in on what size bike they found suited best? Is it better to undersize rather than oversize?

50954049522_19ff680ddc_c.jpg

As I said, mine is M/L which is 54 and L is 56.

Road bikes are measured be either seat tube are top tube.
    Had a look at the geometry and your ml could be regarded as a 56cm as it has a 56cm top tube despite having a 54cm seat tube. That is the kind of ratio youd see on most aggresive climbing bikes so your bike is definitely not an endurance bike. The geometries are very similar to the current reacto https://www.merida-bikes.com/en/bike/2021/reacto-5000 and you wouldnt need to be morr flexible to ride one.
    At 175 your in between sizes 54cm is a size up and you are going to be more stretched out not necessarily lower because of a higher stack, it would fit an aggresive rider of your size. The 52cm is going to be less stretched out and probably more upright.

How does the bike currently feel and what adjustments did he make? If he had lowered a headset spacer and your stem length is lets say 100mm so you have room to go for an even shorter stem and the bike fits nice id have no hesitations going for an aero bike

This being said im not a bike fitter so take what i said with a pinch of salt

I'm 178cm and I'm a 54 in most brands, 56 the odd time

• Advertisement

How does the bike currently feel and what adjustments did he make? If he had lowered a headset spacer and your stem length is lets say 100mm so you have room to go for an even shorter stem and the bike fits nice id have no hesitations going for an aero bike

This being said im not a bike fitter so take what i said with a pinch of salt

Just looking at the changes now and he adjusted saddle height and level and changed stem from 100mm to 90mm. Your spot on about the frame size, he was talking about top tube at 56cm, not seat post. So according to his assessment, ideal top tube for me is 54cm and frame reach 380mm.

Advertisement