Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Agent visit

Options
  • 16-02-2021 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Signing a new lease for my apartment. No issues with landlord, all has been good for years.

A property agent got in touch to drop up to sign a new lease. (Landlord has hired an agent to manage the letting going forward as I think he emigrated.) Not keen on any knocks on the door to have to sign paperwork during covid times. Can I just request the lease is posted and I’ll sign and send back? (Seems like the agent is just looking to get out of his own house during covid times?)

As mentioned never any issues with landlord etc so there’s no animosity in this situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Realistically you'll need to read it cover to cover anyway... difficult to do that with an agent standing there looking at you!

Either ask them to post it, or the agent can hand deliver it if he wants but I'd be asking them to come back another day to collect it you could leave it out for him to pick up, you dont really need to interact as you say your are not keen re COvid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Why would you sign a new lease? You have Part IV protections anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Does he not know how to email an attachment?

Ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

Keep in mind that you are under no obligation to sign another fixed term lease; your tenancy is protected under Part 4 of the Residential Tenancies Act and your landlord can't end the tenancy except for one of a limited set of allowable reasons. The only thing a new lease does for you is prevent your landlord from ending the tenancy for one of those allowable reasons during the lease term. However, keep in mind that a lease also locks you in for the entire fixed term as well, so that is a potential downside should something change in your life.

The new lease is likely the property agent's idea, as they can charge the landlord lots of extra admin fees for processing the paperwork each time you "renew". If you don't want to sign it, feel free to politely decline; your tenancy will not end if you don't, no matter what nonsense the property agent might feed you to convince you to sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I would tell the agent it's not essential to call around and to email it to you and you will print it and post it back. Tell them you want to read if first. When you see it, compare it to your old lease and if there are changes you don't like tell the agent you would prefer to continue the tenancy under the existing part 4 rights. Include a link to citizens information or RTB's site to explain them.

Check what notice you would have to give under your existing part 4 and what you would have to give at the end of the lease. My understanding would be if you are there several years it could be as much as 16 weeks could well be more. If you sign a lease are you locking yourself to 52 weeks + 16 weeks. It gives you more protection but also locks you in for longer. If it was me I'd stick with part 4

• Advertisement
Advertisement