Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

Are people applying for rechecks straight away without looking at your script?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Fe7

Yeah, re-checks close January 29th (If memory on the form today serves me right). With the rate the LS work, by the time I get a script will be well past this date. I'm not leaving anything up to chance with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 BBall2015

I just got off the phone with the Law society, I asked how long we have to wait for our scripts to be emailed to us if we've requested to view them and also how long we've to wait for our recheck results considering the tight timeline to March.

They said getting our scripts to us usually takes 30 days, that they will be starting to reply to people's request tomorrow and get through them as quick as they can.

In relation to the recheck, she said usually it takes 6 weeks for the recheck result to be released but given the timeline, they'd have to be quicker for us to get the result before we sit the exam again, but that we could get the recheck result very close to when we're due to sit the exam again in March! She also said that they've emailed and asked for clarification as to how long the recheck process will be this time - who she's emailing for confirmation, I have no idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 orlaghs

yep i'm taking the chance. not going to wait around for the script to appear weeks past the recheck application deadline

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

BBall2015 wrote: »
    I just got off the phone with the Law society, I asked how long we have to wait for our scripts to be emailed to us if we've requested to view them and also how long we've to wait for our recheck results considering the tight timeline to March.

They said getting our scripts to us usually takes 30 days, that they will be starting to reply to people's request tomorrow and get through them as quick as they can.

In relation to the recheck, she said usually it takes 6 weeks for the recheck result to be released but given the timeline, they'd have to be quicker for us to get the result before we sit the exam again, but that we could get the recheck result very close to when we're due to sit the exam again in March! She also said that they've emailed and asked for clarification as to how long the recheck process will be this time - who she's emailing for confirmation, I have no idea?

Sounds like they are running around like headless chickens. So I can expect my script on 14th February, 16 days after the cut off for applying for a recheck and the recheck results on 25th, 4 days before the next round starts....that is not good enough really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

FE1new wrote: »
    Sounds like they are running around like headless chickens. So I can expect my script on 14th February, 16 days after the cut off for applying for a recheck and the recheck results on 25th, 4 days before the next round starts....that is not good enough really.

Basically means you have to either continue study in the event you have to repeat it or leave it and hope for the best which is not good enough at all

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭neon123

Am I right in saying we can't apply for the March sitting just yet? Probably be next week I'd imagine.

neon123 wrote: »
    Am I right in saying we can't apply for the March sitting just yet? Probably be next week I'd imagine.

Yes said on the results page it would be up soon

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

I just can't fathom why they didn't push out the March sitting, even 2 weeks would make a huge difference, they're going to be up against tight deadlines too, which are bound to be impacted by COVID somewhat (as has been evident to date). It's just a complete lack of common sense.

Yeah I havent seen the application yet anyway. Great to know we'll have to apply to those not knowing how re-checks settle for what seems like a large majority of us /s

Another thing is that if so many of us are applying for re-checks this sitting (more than normal by the sounds of it), how long is that going to add to our wait for them to sift through :mad:

• Advertisement

Yes said on the results page it would be up soon

Grand

Fe7 wrote: »
    Yeah I havent seen the application yet anyway. Great to know we'll have to apply to those not knowing how re-checks settle for what seems like a large majority of us /s

Another thing is that if so many of us are applying for re-checks this sitting (more than normal by the sounds of it), how long is that going to add to our wait for them to sift through :mad:

I was actually surprised when I first saw the timetable that it was March given the Autumn sitting was late, thought April would make more sense to compensate for that and then they can go back to standard routine next October.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bluerthanu

Getting the scripts back 30 days later is absolutely bonkers! With a normal sitting I can understand that because they have to scan each one. With this sitting, unless the examiners marked them by printing them all off physically then surely this is literally as simple as exporting the data from the programme that was used to host the marking of the script and then putting that on a secure file for the candidate. What are they smoking in all seriousness?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jenosul

Basically means you have to either continue study in the event you have to repeat it or leave it and hope for the best which is not good enough at all

Sitting these exams are very isolating apart from linking up with people on here. I noticed someone put up a mental health phone line on here which is completely justified. There is no support from the law society the sheer shock of today’s marks for a lot of people including myself would knock the stuffing out of you. You are alone receiving your results and have already completed your degree in most cases so you cannot ask your marker for personal advice on how to improve. Without paying lots of money for prep courses or tuition you are completely alone regarding support.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 SalteeBiscuits

Unfortunately likely one of the reasons they're not budging on the March sitting is to allow people to start TCs in April

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

bluerthanu wrote: »
    Getting the scripts back 30 days later is absolutely bonkers! With a normal sitting I can understand that because they have to scan each one. With this sitting, unless the examiners marked them by printing them all off physically then surely this is literally as simple as exporting the data from the programme that was used to host the marking of the script and then putting that on a secure file for the candidate. What are they smoking in all seriousness?

They need to provide them before 30 days has passed according to GDPR, hence the timeline. I think they will get them back to us sooner this time around. (plz)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

Does anybody have the November property paper?

TCPIP wrote: »
    Does anybody have the November property paper?

I couldn’t figure out a way to save the paper so not sure if it’s available tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Hazel774

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    They need to provide them before 30 days has passed according to GDPR, hence the timeline. I think they will get them back to us sooner this time around. (plz)

I didn't know they had to send it within 30 days! After the March sitting they took 152 days from the date of my request to send it to me haha

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bluerthanu

LawBoy2018 wrote: »

Very fair, thanks. Misread original post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

This is definitely the worst reaction to FE1 results I have see in this thread going back years. Maybe something did go seriously wrong. I don't understand how so many of us could have been awarded marks in the thirties for so many subjects. When was the last time that happened to anyone before this sitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caius97

Hi guys, does anyone have example criminal answers/grid?:) Thanks!

This is definitely the worst reaction to FE1 results I have see in this thread going back years. Maybe something did go seriously wrong. I don't understand how so many of us could have been awarded marks in the thirties for so many subjects. When was the last time that happened to anyone before this sitting?

Surely the examiners would have noticed that and looked into it too.

Me thinks that due to the economic crash from covid the LS are using their monopolistic funnel system to control the amount of qualifying lawyers. Little demand = little supply. An over supply would result in reduced wages and all that jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 LawStudent999

I'm not sure who it was but there was a google drive going around to collect results...is there any info stemming from that yet to suggest that the marking is a shambles?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 michaelot97

Especially given the majority of people are astounded at how low their results are and expected to pass. Personally, I cannot wrap my head around how I only got 46% in equity. I got 65% in criminal and I thought I did much better in equity. Looking forward to us all getting our scripts back as I think there'll be a serious amount of complaints going into the law society when we see how our papers were marked...

Fe7 wrote: »
    Surely the examiners would have noticed that and looked into it too.

Me thinks that due to the economy from covid the LS are using their monopolistic funnel system to control the amount of qualifying lawyers. Little demand = little supply. An over supply would result in reduced wages and all that jazz.

I was actually thinking that myself but wasn't sure if I was being overly cynical! I wonder if there is also a higher expectation to provide more detail for each Q now that they are typed answers, whereas when we had to hand write there was a little more leniency?

I was actually thinking that myself but wasn't sure if I was being overly cynical! I wonder if there is also a higher expectation to provide more detail for each Q now that they are typed answers, whereas when we had to hand write there was a little more leniency?

Yes I was thinking that they probably expected a little more due to the extra time

Hahah, I majored in Economics. I can't help but be cynical.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 biglawhead420

WE NEED THE EXAMS PUSHED BACK UNTIL LATE MARCH OR APRIL

you can't give us less time to study (due to september push back) then mark like that, and still expect us to do exams 2 weeks earlier!

They're also online for god sake so it is not even like they have already got venues booked or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 FE1student560

I just feel completely despondent and blindsided. I had fully expected to pass company and to discover that I wasn't even close is quite disconcerting. I'm not sure how I could have approached that exam better. I honestly don't know what the examiner wants from me

Advertisement